Young team - contracts

David-Copenhagen

As most here I am enjoining the evolution of a new and very young team.

But it is all well and good to bring through new players, the real test is to keep hold of them as we progress. We need to get to a point were we can hold on to our players and one way to do that is long contracts. I know that wont stop the players from leaving, but it ensures us a better bargaining position.

If we progress during the next few weeks as I think we will, then I would be very happy to see contract extension for some of our new players, i.e. Lawton, Westwood and Benteke - they need to be on at least 4 years starting next summer.

i would have thought most of our new young signings would have had 4 year contracts as standard? they are getting more money than they had at their last clubs, a significant amount more i would guess so to give them more ould be counter productive in my view.

remember lee hendrie?

looked terrible each time a new contract for more money was given but looked a world beater ( well maybe not that good) in the last year of each contract

if after the first year benteke has banged in 18 goals then maybe altering his contract to include incentives may be wise but villa are trying to keep wages managable so any wage increse would have to be carefully managed, the players may also think they have'made it' if after 12 months their already hugely increased wages go up more.

Still early days, yet. Penultimate year of a contract always seems the ideal time for renewals for me, barring the sort of on-fire, world-beating performance over the course of a season that instantly elevates a player and necessitates tying them down there and then.

Yes, a player won't sign a long contract unless it is for a garenteed fat wage but then you end up with more Habib Beye's and the like who won't move on if they fall out of favour becasue they won't get a better deal elsewhere.

It is a bit of a blancing act.

lowton 4 year deal signed

benteke 4 year deal signed

westwood 4 year deal signed

bennett 4 year deal signed

bowery 3 year deal signed

looks like they already have good length deals

weiman baker clarke bannan all have contracts to 06/14 so they may need theirs looking at after january as they seem part of the first 18

How many teams in the world are made up of players mostly under the age of 23? They're not exactly 'babies' but they are a very young side by any measure.

Agreed. But some of threads talk about how these players will develop for us - Ive seen the likes of Gary Shaw, Colin Gibson, Gordon Cowans, holding there own by that age. ok thats a while back - but how old was Kyle Walker, Gareth Barry, Gabby ?

I think more thje issue is that the current squad needs to gel together - but if we are still 4th bottom in 12 months time, I don't think we should be using the young age of thje squad as an excuse.

Agreed. But some of threads talk about how these players will develop for us - Ive seen the likes of Gary Shaw, Colin Gibson, Gordon Cowans, holding there own by that age. ok thats a while back - but how old was Kyle Walker, Gareth Barry, Gabby ?

I think more thje issue is that the current squad needs to gel together - but if we are still 4th bottom in 12 months time, I don't think we should be using the young age of thje squad as an excuse.

Think GB and Gabby were 18/19 when making regular starts...Walker was 20 at us I think

Â