January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

The board should know much the club is spending, how much the club is making and what the future looks like regarding both those things.

They failed to keep this under control under MoN.

there's absolutely no chance that the board, o'neill or anyone else could have known that almost all o'neill's signings would leave the club for free

there's absolutely no chance that the board, o'neill or anyone else could have known that almost all o'neill's signings would leave the club for free

I fail to see how that is relevant, it was the wage bill that was the issue and that was unsustainable that caused the problem, not the money spent on players that went on to leave for free.

I fail to see how that is relevant, it was the wage bill that was the issue and that was unsustainable that caused the problem, not the money spent on players that went on to leave for free.

it's very relevant, because factored into every signing at boardroom level is surely potential resale value. it's rare that a manager would sign 23 players and have 16 or so of them leave for absolutely nothing. there was zero money brought back from them leaving. even £2m from each player sale would've made our finances a LOT healthier and likely not seen the massive cuts. One £2m player sale gets you just under £40k a week for a year for wages. The wage bill was unsustainable because there was no money coming in from player sales despite so many leaving

it's very relevant, because factored into every signing at boardroom level is surely potential resale value. it's rare that a manager would sign 23 players and have 16 or so of them leave for absolutely nothing. there was zero money brought back from them leaving. even £2m from each player sale would've made our finances a LOT healthier and likely not seen the massive cuts. One £2m player sale gets you just under £40k a week for a year for wages. The wage bill was unsustainable because there was no money coming in from player sales despite so many leaving

No sorry that is nonsense. If you are depending upon money coming in from player sales in order to finance your wage bill the wage bill isn't sustainable.

No sorry that is nonsense. If you are depending upon money coming in from player sales in order to finance your wage bill the wage bill isn't sustainable.

it's hardly nonsense. you buy an asset for big money, you assume you'll be able to get even 20% it's cost when selling it on, unless the player is in their 30s when you sign them. to say that it's not factored in is absolutely ridiculous. where else would you get a manager spending as much as o'neill did and then, 4 players aside, not getting a shiny penny for any of them? in signing someone, i'd be amazed if there's no discussion over potential sell on value both in terms of at best, and at worst, and i'm positive there'd be no factoring in the completely unique situation we found ourselves in where we didn't get any money in.

player sales are a big part of club finances, so to say that they wouldn't be taken into consideration when drawing up sustainability plans is complete and utter garbage

We will have to agree to disagree, in my view a wage bill is never going to be sustainable when you need to to factor in player sales in order to achieve it. That is the very definition of unsustainable.

I'm am not saying that clubs do not expect to get something back on the value of players they sign, obviously in most cases they would hope to do so. However players are assets and so are marked down in accounts as depreciating assets.

It is though pointless us debating this one as we will never agree on it.

We will have to agree to disagree, in my view a wage bill is never going to be sustainable when you need to to factor in player sales in order to achieve it. That is the very definition of unsustainable.

I'm am not saying that clubs do not expect to get something back on the value of players they sign, obviously in most cases they would hope to do so. However players are assets and so are marked down in accounts as depreciating assets.

It is though pointless us debating this one as we will never agree on it.

Plenty of teams around the world do use this approach. Now most of the time they are in lower European leagues or Brazil, but saying it is unsustainable would be incorrect.

Plenty of teams around the world do use this approach. Now most of the time they are in lower European leagues or Brazil, but saying it is unsustainable would be incorrect.

No it wouldn't. If you build a wage bill to such a level that the only way you can support it is selling players that is unsustainable.

No it wouldn't. If you build a wage bill to such a level that the only way you can support it is selling players that is unsustainable.

id only agree this was the case if you were planning on supporting it by selling players for profit. that clearly isn't what im talking about

Players we signed and left on frees

Harewood 4.5million

Beye 3million

NRC 8.5million

Sidwell 6million

Cuellar 7.8million

Friedel 2million

Luke young 6million

Heskey 3.5million

Potential next window freebies

Warnock 7.5 million

Makoun 5milion

Hutton 4million

Throw in the wages of that lot, (beye in particular 40k a week and 8 appearances in 3 years) its pretty obvious we are a shambles financialy

I don't see how we'd continue to be a strong team by relying on sales to pay part of the wage bill. It might have slowed down our decline a bit but ultimately I think we would have still dropped.

We were just not in a position to continue trying to be a competitive team thanks to the position Lerner allowed the wage bill to get to.

I don't see how we'd continue to be a strong team by relying on sales to pay part of the wage bill. It might have slowed down our decline a bit but ultimately I think we would have still dropped.

We were just not in a position to continue trying to be a competitive team thanks to the position Lerner allowed the wage bill to get to.

Bit of both. That list cost a collective 45million with the potential next lot of freebies, and tjats before the players we also signed and sold at a loss (routledge 1.25milion sold for half that), is say if we recouped half our outlay on that lot we wouldnt have seen such drastic cost cuttings,all ifs and buts though

Harewood 4.5million

Beye 3million

NRC 8.5million

Sidwell 6million

Cuellar 7.8million

Friedel 2million

Luke young 6million

Heskey 3.5million

ultimately, mon's signings amount to the following:

Petrov £6.5m - still at club, but £0 will be recouped

Agathe £0 - £0 recouped

Sutton £0 - £0 recouped

Carew Swap - £0 recouped

Young £9.5m - £16m recouped

Maloney £1.25m - £0 recouped

Reo Coker £8.6m - £0 recouped

Harewood £4.5m - £0 recouped

Knight £4.5m - £3.5m recouped

Salifou £250k - £0 recouped

Routledge £1.25m - £600k recouped

Davies £10m - £2.5m recouped

Sidwell £5.5m - £0 recouped

Friedel £2.5m - £0 recouped

Guzan £2m - Still at club, technically though he left and £0 was recouped

Shorey £5m - £0 recouped

L Young £5m - £0 recouped

Cuellar £7.8m - £0 recouped

Milner £12m - £16m recouped

Heskey £3.5m - £0 recouped

Downing £12m - £18m recouped

Delph £8m - still at club

Beye £3m - £0 recouped

Warnock £8m - still at club, likely £0 recouped

Collins £5.5m - recouped £2.5m

Dunne £5m - still at club, likely £0 recouped

26 players signed for approx £135m

14 left for free (loss of £54.9m on purchase price)

7 left for fees (profit of about £4.25m on purchase price)

5 still at club, 3 likely to leave for £0

that's a massive, massive, massive financial hit that would've run the club for a couple of years at least

• Like 1

Harewood 4.5million

Beye 3million

NRC 8.5million

Sidwell 6million

Cuellar 7.8million

Friedel 2million

Luke young 6million

Heskey 3.5million

Potential next window freebies

Warnock 7.5 million

Makoun 5milion

Hutton 4million

Throw in the wages of that lot, (beye in particular 40k a week and 8 appearances in 3 years) its pretty obvious we are a shambles financialy

we not get a small fee for Luke Young? add Dunne to list of frees going in summer

ultimately, mon's signings amount to the following:

Petrov £6.5m - still at club, but £0 will be recouped

Agathe £0 - £0 recouped

Sutton £0 - £0 recouped

Carew Swap - £0 recouped

Young £9.5m - £16m recouped

Maloney £1.25m - £0 recouped

Reo Coker £8.6m - £0 recouped

Harewood £4.5m - £0 recouped

Knight £4.5m - £3.5m recouped

Salifou £250k - £0 recouped

Routledge £1.25m - £600k recouped

Davies £10m - £2.5m recouped

Sidwell £5.5m - £0 recouped

Friedel £2.5m - £0 recouped

Guzan £2m - Still at club, technically though he left and £0 was recouped

Shorey £5m - £0 recouped

L Young £5m - £0 recouped

Cuellar £7.8m - £0 recouped

Milner £12m - £16m recouped

Heskey £3.5m - £0 recouped

Downing £12m - £18m recouped

Delph £8m - still at club

Beye £3m - £0 recouped

Warnock £8m - still at club, likely £0 recouped

Collins £5.5m - recouped £2.5m

Dunne £5m - still at club, likely £0 recouped

26 players signed for approx £135m

14 left for free (loss of £54.9m on purchase price)

7 left for fees (profit of about £4.25m on purchase price)

5 still at club, 3 likely to leave for £0

that's a massive, massive, massive financial hit that would've run the club for a couple of years at least

Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Absolutely horrendous. It's a wonder Lerner hasn't topped himself after that, yet he is still giving our managers money to spend. It puts things in a completely different light for me concerning Lerner.

Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Absolutely horrendous. It's a wonder Lerner hasn't topped himself after that, yet he is still giving our managers money to spend. It puts things in a completely different light for me concerning Lerner.

the figures in that post are why i have no time for anyone who says lerner puts no money into the club, or says that the milner/young/downing money wasn't put back into the team. of course it was... ten times over