The Future of Europe

maqroll

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_361188.pdf

4000 less Romanians and Bulgarians working in the UK since employment restrictions were ended. 

Wouldn't the staple bigoted response to that be that they're on the ponce rather than working?

That's something I find confusing about this immigration thing.  They're either taking all our jobs or hijacking our benefit system.  Surely they can't be doing both?

No, they're definitely doing both :lol:

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 1

RV - great post.  You always come across as being honest and having a good heart.  You've had a very different life than many on here, and still do I'd imagine.

I think it's easy for those of us who were raised differently to you to forget that upbringing and life experience has an impact on our thoughts and beliefs.  Particularly online we're all just faceless and we don't really know who we're talking to.

Your post doesn't just give insight into your own background but it also serves as a timely reminder not to take every post at face value.

I think ignorant is a harsh word to describe yourself.  You show a desire to learn and understand.  Under-informed?  Possibly.  Ignorant?  Nah, not for me.

:thumb:

Edited by NurembergVillan
  • Like 4

My grandad was in the navy, he travelled the world and has great honour in telling me that he got this tattoo in singapore and that tattoo in hong kong etc. He's from stockland green but moved to rugeley in his early 20s. I'm a typical small town lad, wished I'd done a lot more in my life but you can't rewind time. Best thing you can have in life is your health and kids and I have both so I can't complain. I've lived a pretty boring life compared to a lot of people on here but its been eventful to say the least. Must admit I feel very beneath myself a lot of time on here as I've said its a very well educated forum. But everyones freindly and its a laugh. Rugeley is like going back in time, proper old fasioned place where life revolves around the pub. Tonyh29 seems like he's travelled a hell of a lot and I'm envious I must admit, I would never feel comftable in a muslim country although I've been to turkey before. I find muslims very stand off ish and that they don't like to mingle where as indians seem a lot more freindly. Islam has worried me for a few years now, years of newspaper reports, tv documentries and just peoples general opinion has not helped. If you done a poll in rugeley majority of people would be concerned about islam. Maybe we need to look at the west to understand why this conflict has started. Anyway I don't normally do politics as my views can be controversial and I don't know naff all about it if I'm honest. But I like to view things from another angle so I'll take that in mind.

I think it has everything to do with immigration here, but obviously the EU provides the gateway to the biggest influx. The Sun and the Heil have been harping on about the Bulgarians and Romanians for a long time now and the masses take it all in and get into a needless frenzy. They think these people are coming to destroy the country and claim free mansions.

When in fact there are less Bulgarians and Romanians in the country now than there were before the "floodgates opened".
Please provide an accurate source that backs up this claim.

4000 less Romanians and Bulgarians working in the UK since employment restrictions were ended.

Cant find the part where it mentions the reductions in Romanians and Bulgarians, although I only skimmed through it, but I did read an increase of 178,000 non uk citizens entering the UK which is a staggering amount.

I do wish the Beeb would stop saying that Le Pen and FN have a 'huge mandate' - they got just under 25% of the popular vote, didn't they?

If I was french, no way would I vote for change. The ridiculously low hours they work, the crazy amount of holidays and pay, makes french life seem perfect to me.

I think it has everything to do with immigration here, but obviously the EU provides the gateway to the biggest influx. The Sun and the Heil have been harping on about the Bulgarians and Romanians for a long time now and the masses take it all in and get into a needless frenzy. They think these people are coming to destroy the country and claim free mansions.

When in fact there are less Bulgarians and Romanians in the country now than there were before the "floodgates opened".

Cant find the part where it mentions the reductions in Romanians and Bulgarians, although I only skimmed through it, but I did read an increase of 178,000 non uk citizens entering the UK which is a staggering amount.

0.2 %

One fifth of one percent of the population.

We're being swamped! 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

0.2 %

We're being swamped!

But we both know these are the 'official' statistics. Im sure they dont tell the whole picture.

Can you find a reliable source to prove we are being swamped mike.

Yep.

0.2 %

We're being swamped!

But we both know these are the 'official' statistics. Im sure they dont tell the whole picture.

Yep.

The sun, mirror, heil or ukip pamphlets don't count.

Yeah, good post RV.

I too "want Islam to show me different".

Trouble is, "Islam" is not a monolithic thing, that has a unanimous voice - any more than does "Christianity", or "the British", or "white people".

Most of us move in fairly limited social circles, and thus tend to meet particular types of people, who then affect our views, positively or negatively.

I grew up on an all-white council estate; no racial conflict - because there weren't any ethnic minorities to conflict with! - but plenty of knee-jerk racist prejudice.

I didn't meet any black or Asian kids until I went to grammar school - and of course the ones I met were grammar school kids, so with a certain set of attitudes and values.

Conversely, working in Bradford for the last 28 years, I got to know a LOT of Muslims. All of them 'moderate' and reasonable people, full of exasperation and despair about the Jihadist types. But then they were University employees (albeit of a social range from professors to cleaners), so you'd expect a somewhat different view from someone who's come from a peasant village in Bangladesh, is maybe illiterate, and knows nothing beyond family and Mosque.

Someone as well-travelled as Tony H will tell you that the more people you meet, from as many backgrounds and walks of life as possible, the more you realise that the VAST majority of people are just perfectly OK.

But there are people who would have us believe differently, that you can take entire groups of people - based on religion, culture, race, whatever - and ascribe tendencies to ALL of them. They're sly, they're lazy, they're dirty, they're amoral, they're violent, they're untrustworthy, they're... THE ENEMY. Hitler did it with the Jews, it was remarkably easy.

We must not buy it.

I agree mooney, if I met muslims and worked with them etc I'm sure my views would not be like they are. Islam really has a bad image at the moment.

Which is silly really as Islam shouldn't. Its Extremism & Terrorism that should have that image and that can be from any religion, non religious quartets, background etc....

0.2 %

We're being swamped!

Yep.

The sun, mirror, heil or ukip pamphlets don't count.

Yep. This is true.

The mail and the mirror are both anti-ukip and are continously running smear campaigns against them so yeah they dont count.

One of the major factors that negatively effect peoples view of Islam is when governments in certain countries use a skewed and hardline version of the religion to control and repress.

That's a government problem though not a religious one.

Â