Amazon and Kindle

peterms

Anyone thinking of buying a Kindle might want to know about the problems recently reported. It seems you don't own the books you "buy", they can remotely wipe them, prevent you from using them on another device and so on. There seem to be ways around this by using software to remove the DRM stuff, but it sounds like a pain. They also seem quite happy to block someone's account if they think they have infringed the restrictive terms of service, keep their money, not let them have the books they have already bought, and not let them open another account. They refuse to explain or defend their actions, and instead send a cut-and-paste e-mail saying they are unable to help any more, good luck finding another supplier, and here's an address in Luxembourg to write to if you want to make a complaint. Nice.

There's one account of the issue here, but it seems the original account wasn't quite accurate. There's a blog which gives an update here and another blog here.

Sounds like something to stay well clear of.

That story is of concern, but considering that there are millions of Kindle users it appears to be a relatively isolated incident. I love my Kindle and haven't experienced a single issue with it. To avoid the device in case this happens is like not flying because the plane might crash.

The DRM stuff has been known about since the Kindle took off. It's a problem for pretty much all digital media. When you buy something like a Kindle, you're placing a stake in a market, not just a device allowing you access to a library of titles to do with as you will.

Your issues with this may vary.

Yeah, I love my Kindle. The blog was doing the rounds on Reddit yesterday, I'd still like to hear both sides of the story but I doubt I ever will. I think Amazon provide a good service though, and I'd wager their satisfaction rate is extremely high.

The wife has a Kindle, and I was considering buying one myself, but one of the main attractions was the free Whispernet wi-fi - and that is ONLY available in the bog-standard model - which I imagine will be discontinued soon; the new colour/touch screen ones have wi-fi, but no free Whispernet (except, presumably, for Amazon purchases).

Think I'll stick with books.

I would never trade in a good old fashioned book for a kindle.

I know a few people who have bought them purely because the ''wanted'' one, I explained to them that I wouldn't want one for a few reason's

1-I just love the feel of a proper book, especially old ones that have been read a fair few times, its like the books have character, it doesn't matter how many copies there are in the world there will never be another one like the cope you own, that smudge on page 174, the crease in page 83, the fold in the spine etc etc. An old book has personality and each book feels different.

2-I don't have to worry about breaking a book

3-If I do somehow manage to destroy a book (spill something on it maybe) then I know that a copy of it will only cost me about £7

4-If I lose my book (I don't know leave it on the train or in the pub or something like that) again it will only cost me about £7 to replace it

5-I don't have to worry about sitting on the bus going home and having some thieving bastard attempt to mug me for it because even though they cant read they know it is worth about £80

6-As you have just said when I buy a book I own it, it sounds like that isn't the case with a kindle

I don't criticize people who do have them, they just aren't for me.

Also two of the people I mentioned earlier who ''wanted'' one, well one of them bought it and read 2 or 3 books on it and never touched it again and the other dropped it and broke it within a week of having it then replaced it and read 2 or 3 books on it and never touched it again. I think that some people think that even though they had no interest in reading before if they buy a kindle they will all of a sudden start burning through a book every two day's, its not the case either you are a reader or your not

Don't get me wrong if I traveled a lot with work or spent a lot of time abroad or went on loads of holidays then they would be perfect.

the only thing that annoys me is that there are an awful lot of books which are self published that I often see and would quite like to read but are only available to download on a kindle which mean's I cant get them, If you could get a kindle for £15/£20 then I would buy one purely for the ''kindle only'' books.

• Like 1

I'm still unsure whether to get one or not.

It'd have lots of benefits. For instance, I don't have a huge amount of room for books (as much as I'd like to) and I could also take it on holiday. Getting out-of-copyright texts on there for free would be great, too. I wouldn't have to have the light on if I want to read in bed, particularly when the missus is sleeping. Et cetera.

However, I do like having books. It's nice to own something physical (although I'm not particularly bothered about this when it comes to CDs and DVDs) and, despite the lack of space, having a collection of books is something I like. It'd be good to use one for a while, as I'm still not that convinced that they're as easy on the eyes as a book, but others have told me that they're great in this respect.

I'll probably get one at some point, but I go through phases of wanting to get one before I get any more books, then there are other times where I think I'll probably never bother. Undoubtedly I'll go for it in the end, just don't know yet whether it would actually replace physical books, for me.

I have one, and love it. Was worried about it, as I also love the feel and smell of paper books. I said to myself I'll read fiction ont he Kindle, and non-fiction on paper, so I get the best of both (and it makes my bookshelf look high-brow!). I love it to bits now though, and find paper books really inconvenient. Having to hold it open to see the text, turning pages... seems so archaic now! I found the last paper book I read a right pain in the arse.

The only problem I have is I love the look of a bookcase, but I've gone completely digital with my music, and think it's going that way with my books now.

My old man's got one and he loves it.

Doesn't travel anywhere, is retired so spends most of his days at home.

But he reads more than anyone I know (even more than you, Mike!!) and uses his Kindle constantly

I have a Kindle (Keyboard 3G model) and love it. As others have said, you can't beat the look or feel of a proper book but when travelling or on planes/trains it is ideal. I have the choice of hundreds of books on there.

Another plus point is the extensive selection of free classic titles available on Amazon.

I am tempted to upgrade to the new Paperwhite in due course.

Â