First Eleven

VillanousOne

weird for the first time we have nearly a fit squad plus the new boys, what do you think should be the starting eleven?

I think only Dunne and Petrov are the only two missing with Delf now out on loan.

Guzan

Lowton --- Vlaar -- Clark -- Bennett

Delph

Ireland -- KEA -- Holman

Bent -- Gabby

--------------Guzan--------------

----dunne---vlaar-----clark-----

lowton-------------------bennett

----el ahmadi---westwood------

--------------ireland--------------

-------------benteke-------------

---------------bent---------------

we won't play that, but i think we'd be strongs with that or similar tbh

I don't think we have a set first eleven. There are certain players that are 'first choice', then others that can be rotated depending on opponent/ system/ form.

First choice:

Lowton RB

Vlaar CB

El Ahmadi CM

Bent ST

IMO all the other spaces are up for grab week by week.

(I would put Bennett in 'first choice LB' but we haven't even see him play for us yet)

I don't think we have a set first eleven. There are certain players that are 'first choice', then others that can be rotated depending on opponent/ system/ form.

First choice:

Lowton RB

Vlaar CB

El Ahmadi CM

Bent ST

(I would put Bennett in 'first choice LB' but we haven't even see him play for us yet)

This

First choice:

Lowton RB

Vlaar CB

El Ahmadi CM

Bent ST

Completely agree.

I'll start judging the new lads after I've seen them against Swansea. Until then I know nothing about them apart what's been written. I'm a bit more tolerant than my mate. He watched the first half of Juan Pablo Angel's debut before turning to me and saying, "He's no bloody good!"

----------------Guzan------------------

--Lichaj---Vlaar---Clark---Bennett---

----------Ireland-----Kea--------------

--Albrighton-----------------Bannan--

-----------------Bent-------------------

----------------Benteke----------------

My plan would be just to take it out wide and send in crosses to Benteke. Then Bent can pick up anything left hanging around in the box. Ireland and Kea would keep possession well. Then we can sub in Agbonlahor for Albrighton to make it a 4-3-3. Lowton will rotate in the fullback spots to keep competition high. Also have Westwood and Delph rotating in the midfield again for competition purposes.

I agree I don't think we have a first choice XI, we have some first choice players who will fit into most/all of PL's preferred formations, and then he'll switch others in and out depending on the opposition/tactics/whatever

And of course as we've seen in Given's case being a "first choice player" only lasts as long as PL thinks he can rely on you to do your job.

......................Guzan........................

Lowton......Vlaar........Clark.......Bennett

.....................El Ahmadi.......................

.........Albrighton...Ireland (Banann)....Holman.........

................Bent.........Benteke................

No idea - and i absolutely love it. Having options and being able to tinker the team to combat specific threats or exploit specific weaknesses for different teams. In modern football i think flexibility is just as important as consistency. Plus it means competition for places and high and players know that if they want a starting spot they have to perform!

First choice:

Lowton RB

Vlaar CB

El Ahmadi CM

Bent ST

Yup, agree.

I reckon we might see a few more players cement their place over the next few weeks though. Surely it's best for Vlaar who his centre back partner will be every week and we can't be changing the bloke between the sticks every other game? Or maybe I'm just not used to a rotation system :)

It is interesting how many people have picked Guzan ahead of Given now. 12 months ago it would have been a different story.

guzan seems to have fixed the problems with his game though. he won't make the match of the day highlight saves given does, but chances are he won't find himself in the position where he needs to all that often. if he continues his improvement he'll be a fantastic keeper. he's big, strong, vocal, commands his area, isn't afraid to come for corners and has far more of a presence than shay. i think he's matured a fair bit in the last 12 months and assuming he keeps his concentration, i think he'll be much more useful than given

Â