Media and punditry

BOF

I’m saying I find the reaction amusing when Ireland’s modus operandi for the past 35 years was finding anybody who might technically be eligible and asking first.  

• Like 1

On 13/11/2023 at 15:40, choffer said:

Very much this…

Drury really annoys me! He's one of those commentators that thinks his job is try and 'elevate' the spectacle of the game by spouting a load of sub-poetic nonsense at key moments. Personally, I think describing what's happening on the pitch should be the priority rather than trying to create a viral soundbite or having cringeworthy bants with your great mate Lee Dixon/Carra/whoever.
He also has a habit of shouting any 'big' club's player's name (raHEEM STERLING!!!) just before they blaze the ball over the bar/it's immediately blocked by an opponent. Just wait and see what happens first, Peter. You're supposed to react to what's occurring, not pre-empt it.
I think he's only outdone by Sam 'You deserve this, we deserve this' Matterface in terms of the commentator I'm most likely to mute.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Drury really annoys me! He's one of those commentators that thinks his job is try and 'elevate' the spectacle of the game by spouting a load of sub-poetic nonsense at key moments. Personally, I think describing what's happening on the pitch should be the priority rather than trying to create a viral soundbite or having cringeworthy bants with your great mate Lee Dixon/Carra/whoever.
He also has a habit of shouting any 'big' club's player's name (raHEEM STERLING!!!) just before they blaze the ball over the bar/it's immediately blocked by an opponent. Just wait and see what happens first, Peter. You're supposed to react to what's occurring, not pre-empt it.
I think he's only outdone by Sam 'You deserve this, we deserve this' Matterface in terms of the commentator I'm most likely to mute.

The only one that really annoys me is Tyler’s “AND IT’S LIVE!”  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

"What makes you so committed to Ireland" is what has pissed most people off. 

Yeah, but that’s just TalkSport’s business model.  In fact it’s the current business model for anybody who gets rewarded by social media algorithms for ‘engagement’ as pissing people off generates more engagement and spreads your content further than insightful or informative stuff.  TalkSport have been doing this since the 90s when Kelvin Mackenzie realised that more idiots would phone the station on premium rate phone numbers to tell the presenters why they were wrong if they were trolling than would phone in if they were having a sensible discussion.  

I still find the Even Ferguson thing amusing for reasons stated above. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, choffer said:

The only one that really annoys me is Tyler’s “AND IT’S LIVE!”  

Haha yep - most pointless catchphrase ever! I kind of wish Clive Tydlesley would shout "AND IT'S CLIVE!' at the start of every match he commentates on just to annoy Tyler!

• Haha 4

41 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Haha yep - most pointless catchphrase ever! I kind of wish Clive Tydlesley would shout "AND IT'S CLIVE!' at the start of every match he commentates on just to annoy Tyler!

Clive has his own shit catchphrase. That famous night in Barcelona

Edited by Zatman

3 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Yeah, but that’s just TalkSport’s business model.  In fact it’s the current business model for anybody who gets rewarded by social media algorithms for ‘engagement’ as pissing people off generates more engagement and spreads your content further than insightful or informative stuff.  TalkSport have been doing this since the 90s when Kelvin Mackenzie realised that more idiots would phone the station on premium rate phone numbers to tell the presenters why they were wrong if they were trolling than would phone in if they were having a sensible discussion.  

I still find the Even Ferguson thing amusing for reasons stated above. 

The way Talksport operate is not in question. It's still hugely disrespectful and piss poor journalism. You find it amusing though. I'm sure Talksport wouldn't attempt to coax Kane into playing for Ireland (he has ancestry) just for the sake of their business model

13 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

The way Talksport operate is not in question. It's still hugely disrespectful and piss poor journalism. You find it amusing though. I'm sure Talksport wouldn't attempt to coax Kane into playing for Ireland (he has ancestry) just for the sake of their business model

because that wouldnt get the same response

TS know the vitriol exists over rice and grealish so thats the pot that they are stirring

the anger doesnt work both ways, no one in england would care if the media started linking U21 or young players to ireland because its relatively normal (and obviously theres the arrogance that if they'e good they wont anyway)

but i do find it funny that of course he wouldnt want to play for england, listen to the man talk! he's born and bred irish....nothing like grealish or rice...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

because that wouldnt get the same response

TS know the vitriol exists over rice and grealish so thats the pot that they are stirring

the anger doesnt work both ways, no one in england would care if the media started linking U21 or young players to ireland because its relatively normal (and obviously theres the arrogance that if they'e good they wont anyway)

but i do find it funny that of course he wouldnt want to play for england, listen to the man talk! he's born and bred irish....nothing like grealish or rice...

Are you sure?

The stereotypical TS listener is your london van driver, brexit, flag shagging moron

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I'm sure Talksport wouldn't attempt to coax Kane into playing for Ireland (he has ancestry) just for the sake of their business model

Of course not, he's good, and Ireland are shite, he's not a complete idiot :trollface:

On 15/11/2023 at 03:57, oishiiniku_uk said:

And there was I thinking I was the only one who finds this bloke insufferably annoying.  I actually think Dixon is quite a good co-commentator and do like the banter when he does games as part of a tandem with LeSaux.  But Drury is a clown who spoils the match.  He's getting worse as he gets older.  One can only think it's because he thinks of himself as the show, not the game itself.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FLVillan said:

And there was I thinking I was the only one who finds this bloke insufferably annoying.  I actually think Dixon is quite a good co-commentator and do like the banter when he does games as part of a tandem with LeSaux.  But Drury is a clown who spoils the match.  He's getting worse as he gets older.  One can only think it's because he thinks of himself as the show, not the game itself.... 

Yes, exactly! I don't listen to much football on the radio these days, but when I do I'm always struck by how commentators like John Murray have to do a lot more than their TV counterparts and yet end up forcing their personalities on the game a lot less.
I don't mind Dixon too much either, with the right commentator in the right game, but recently he was doing Villa vs Luton with John Champion I think, and they seemed to spend most of the game - as we played brilliant, controlled, attacking football and tore Luton apart - talking about the 1999 FA Cup semi final at Villa Park. The 'two blokes having a laugh' bit can get kind of annoying at times...

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

John Champion, while having lost a bit of something over the years is still much better than Drury. Been crazy to see how he's been usurped by Drury, from being replaced as the PES commentator by him, to even stuff like his inferior calling of the "Aguero" moment being the de facto version these days. 

The commentator that's synonymous with football to me is John Motson, man I miss him. I sometimes still hear him covering games on MOTD, but it's obvious he's past his peak. But what a peak it was. Made the games you were watching so much more interesting and he still had that hype factor during big moments without sounding contrived lime Drury.

Actually, looking him up, and  I just found out he died earlier this year :(

3 hours ago, FLVillan said:

The problem is that Drury was a perfectly competent commentator as back up to Clive Tyldesley for years for ITV but eventually realised that in this day and age, the OTT stuff is what gets reaction online, which then made him more famous, which then meant Sky saw him as their new number 1 commentator, which means he's going to keep doing it and we have to sit through it.  I like all the other main commentators Sky have, to be fair to them.

• Like 2

I remember when Rooney scored maybe a penalty against Blackburn in like 2011 and he just yelled out "BIG MAAAAN". Like what? He was horrendous in that era, he's way more tolerable now but somewhat ironically him becoming more verbose is also becoming annoying.

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

The problem is that Drury was a perfectly competent commentator as back up to Clive Tyldesley for years for ITV but eventually realised that in this day and age, the OTT stuff is what gets reaction online, which then made him more famous, which then meant Sky saw him as their new number 1 commentator, which means he's going to keep doing it and we have to sit through it.  I like all the other main commentators Sky have, to be fair to them.

daniel mann and gary weaver who do championship on sky are good

11 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Of the ones I can think of on Sky/TNT:

Ian Darke: Weirdly serious/dramatic tone. Sounds like he's reporting from a war zone. 

Seb Hutchinson: Pretty enjoyable. Thought he was good in the last world cup, especially with Andros Townsend on co-comms. 

John Champion: Very good when paired with Ally McCoist, ok with everyone else. 

Darren Fletcher: Annoying in a pub bore kind of way. Him and Jenas are a one-way ticket to snoozeville. Also I get irrationally angry when he shouts BENZYMARRR! 

All the other commentators: Have not done enough for me to notice them and that is a good thing. 

Â