Ashley Westwood

Nabby

4 assists in a week in the premiership, yeah average player.

I count 3!

So are you basing Ashley Westwood on just 1 week? A week where we won 2 out of 2. What about the many weeks when he went ages without an assist? Oh yeah, I forgot that when that was pointed out as criticism - we were told he isnt there to create. He keeps it simple and allows us to tick over is what was said!

Now, I have been largely critical over Westwood. And tbf to the lad - hes been much improved recently. But Id hardly say its time to completely wipe out the dross that came before it - of which there was plenty.

A player who is improving. That is a positive. Lets not get carried away.

You're the only person with this viewpoint. He's been class all season.

EDIT: And by that, I mean that he's never been 'dross'

Absolutely. The only person I now, neutrals included, who think Westwood has been "dross" until recently. He was possibly our best player pre Chelsea and one of the most consistent over our recent revival, including some fantastic performances such as QPR (94/96 passes was it?) and yesterday, game winning performances. The type you've been saying he isn't capable of.

It matters not to me where he's come from and what he cost, though that in itself is the stuff of dreams. Something every club (and player) aspires to. I'm mostly just delighted to finally have another player we can rely on enough to build a midfield around.

Ermmmm no, a number of people of said that they failed to see what he brings to the table.

So he wasnt dross v Chelsea for example? Hes played well in all games has he?

I have praised his form recently - thats not me back tracking. Thats me being honest and fair. He has started to perform, like a number of others. Thats probably why were winning! Not exactly rocket Science is it.

I mean at one time we had (acc to VT)

- Guzan out of this world

- Vlaar as solid as a rock

- Lowton playing well

- Westwood being superb (keeping us ticking)

- Delph playing well

- Gabby being a legend

- Benteke being worth 30m and no less

- Weimann playing well.

...... Low and behold, we were losing every game. I smell a rat!

I have praised his form recently - thats not me back tracking. Thats me being honest and fair. He has started to perform, like a number of others. Thats probably why were winning! Not exactly rocket Science is it.

- Lowton playing well

- Delph playing well

- Gabby being a legend

- Weimann playing well.

The rat being that it wasn’t “at one time” it was at different times, unfortunately, methinks.

But, yes you are just being honest and fair, generally. I think what’s happened is that more of the players have been playing well at the same time, basically. Every single one of them has ability, and Westwood definitely so. From all of them the effort’s been there, consistently, but now they believe more in themselves collectively and individually and the system after a fair bit of mucking about is one that suits them.

We’re also seeing in individual games one or two players each game really playing at the top of their form - whether it be Westwood, Gabby, Benteke, Lowton etc. When you have that, and the rest are steady you have a good chance, as you say - Not rocket science.

I'm glad you're enjoying the posts, it's the first stage in accepting that I'm right.

Is it okay if we call it Stage 1 acceptance?

if you admit first you were in class 1 denial.  :D

If you look at our results we have "performed" against the league's weaker teams. Apart from the Liverpool win and Arsenal draw we are still consistently losing to the better sides.

Why?

I think possession is a good place to start. Typically our midfield, without Westwood-Bannan hasn't been able to dominate possession. So we normally defend against a team that is controlling possession and score on the counter-attack.

When we do this, cede possession, against the lower half sides we simply don't get punished as badly as we do against top half sides - and even against lower half sides we can't keep clean sheets.

What's happening is our strikers are winning games. Our midfield and defence still has a way to go to reach their level, to control possession against lower half sides. Then we may keep some clean sheets.

- Lowton playing well

- Delph playing well

- Gabby being a legend

- Weimann playing well.

The rat being that it wasn’t “at one time” it was at different times, unfortunately, methinks.

But, yes you are just being honest and fair, generally. I think what’s happened is that more of the players have been playing well at the same time, basically. Every single one of them has ability, and Westwood definitely so. From all of them the effort’s been there, consistently, but now they believe more in themselves collectively and individually and the system after a fair bit of mucking about is one that suits them.

We’re also seeing in individual games one or two players each game really playing at the top of their form - whether it be Westwood, Gabby, Benteke, Lowton etc. When you have that, and the rest are steady you have a good chance, as you say - Not rocket science.

I disagree Blandy, there was definitely a time when I was going through player threads and the vast majority (Ive listed) were being praised. I was saying, they cant all be playing well - we are getting murdered every week. Now there will have obv been different posters rating different players but for me that just highlights how easy it is as a fan to get carried away with the form of players and ultimately be incorrect (as they all cant have been right).

There is no doubt about it that Westwood has NOT been good all season (as some have suggested) and I am struggling to remember the games where he has stood out as the top form player (as you suggest). 

- Lowton playing well

- Delph playing well

- Gabby being a legend

- Weimann playing well.

I disagree Blandy, there was definitely a time when I was going through player threads and the vast majority (Ive listed) were being praised. I was saying, they cant all be playing well - we are getting murdered every week. Now there will have obv been different posters rating different players but for me that just highlights how easy it is as a fan to get carried away with the form of players and ultimately be incorrect (as they all cant have been right).

There is no doubt about it that Westwood has NOT been good all season (as some have suggested) and I am struggling to remember the games where he has stood out as the top form player (as you suggest). 

I believe Westwood is one of those players who fly under the radar & because of the simplicity of his game he often goes unnoticed. He is a key & integral part of what Lambert is trying to do. Westwood is the water carrier of the team who smoothly goes about his job , keeping the ball moving & keeping us ticking over.

It is a testimony to his ability just how well he has stepped up to the plate & made the transition from League 2 look so easy.

Great prospect in the making!

- Lowton playing well

- Delph playing well

- Gabby being a legend

- Weimann playing well.

I believe Westwood is one of those players who fly under the radar & because of the simplicity of his game he often goes unnoticed. He is a key & integral part of what Lambert is trying to do. Westwood is the water carrier of the team who smoothly goes about his job , keeping the ball moving & keeping us ticking over.

It is a testimony to his ability just how well he has stepped up to the plate & made the transition from League 2 look so easy.

Yep, something he has done in recent times. He hasnt been doing that all season though.

There's playing a simple game and being simple - not having the talent to do anything other than what you're doing.

Which category Westwood?

The assist for the second goal against Norwich is a good sign for me he can be more than a get-and-giver who is reasonable defensively, and make key passes from open play. If he can continue to do that, he has a good all-round game.

This is important because Delph is better defensively than Westwood so if we got in someone with more creativity and as much defensive ability as Westwood, Westwood could have his spot nicked..

So if Gary Gardner were to gain some form, Westwood got injured and Gardner got a chance, Gardner-Delph partnership could take over. Equally, if Gardner is as good defensively as Delph and is better creatively, we could have Westwood-Gardner.

Remember when Westwood was partnered with Bannan his game was much more simple because he didn't go for the key passes. Water carrier was a fair term for his role then because he was a get-and-giver and wasn't brilliant defensively.

Now he's partnered with Delph, who is better defensively, he has the creative responsibility. His passing accuracy has gone from mid 90s % to low 80s % but yesterday he showed he can make a crucial key pass. He will need to keep doing that to keep his place though, because he is not a great defensive midfielder.

There's playing a simple game and being simple - not having the talent to do anything other than what you're doing.

Which category Westwood?

The assist for the second goal against Norwich is a good sign for me he can be more than a get-and-giver who is reasonable defensively, and make key passes from open play. If he can continue to do that, he has a good all-round game.

This is important because Delph is better defensively than Westwood so if we got in someone with more creativity and as much defensive ability as Westwood, Westwood could have his spot nicked..

So if Gary Gardner were to gain some form, Westwood got injured and Gardner got a chance, Gardner-Delph partnership could take over. Equally, if Gardner is as good defensively as Delph and is better creatively, we could have Westwood-Gardner.

Con - I  could do with a new Gardener! Have you seen  the state of my back yard now after having had to throw out all your Hoof 3 Ashley Westwood charts! :P

Also, please can you ask wee Barry Bannan to come & fetch his ball that also landed there after his last piss poor Corner kick!

Roll on November the 5th!

• Like 1

Con are you now staying Westwood is comparable to Water Boy in the film with Adam Sandler, it was on last night, so its fresh in my memory :D Some of your posts are plain delusional, but I do miss the heatmaps and charts lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Just so we did not go OT in the Benteke Thread.

Mantis - They have got potential. Not double figures worth though yet imo. Hardly had amazing seasons and they dont play in prominent positions.

Stefan - If you think saying Westwood isnt worth 10m is bashing him - Fair enough. If you think I have been bashing him all season. Fair enough. Your wrong on both accounts.

Edited by Woodytom

Not worth 10m yet but will be.

Well, you have been bashing him. I'm not going to go through this thread, but the amount of shite you've posting pertaining to his ability has been laughable.

Not worth 10m yet but will be.

Well, you have been bashing him. I'm not going to go through this thread, but the amount of shite you've posting pertaining to his ability has been laughable.

So you agree his value has not quadrupled? Great, thats good.

You must have missed the times when I praised him when I thought he had performed well (as I always promised I would). Oh well, never mind.