Ashley Westwood

Nabby

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

That's because the role itself is a passive one.

so there is such a role as a passive midfielder,sorry not buying that one.

ps ......I can see why we see the game differently

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

so there is such a role as a passive midfielder,sorry not buying that one.

ps ......I can see why we see the game differently

No, but there is a role in midfield that lends itself to not really being noticed much. That's the role Westwood plays.

16 minutes ago, Mantis said:

That's because the role itself is a passive one.

Mantis.

I cast my mind back to a Liverpool side who's midfield consisted of :

Heighway-Case-Souness-Callaghan.....2 wingers 2 ball winners

who's the passive midfielder there?

Bremner-Cowans-Mortimer.....who's the passive midfielder there?

Problem is we've had the defenders that doesn't defend, the strikers that doesn't score and the wide players who want's to play central.

We really can't afford a midfielder (or 2) in the "doesn't get noticed role".

• Like 1

Just now, sne said:

Problem is we've had the defenders that doesn't defend, the strikers that doesn't score and the wide players who want's to play central.

We really can't afford a midfielder (or 2) in the "doesn't get noticed role".

too bloody true.

17 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I am not sure how I would describe Westwood which after over 4 years of being a constant in the side you would think would be easy.

If I use players that have played for us in the recent past I would say Ian Taylor was an all action box to box midfielder, Petrov a defensive/holding midfielder, James Milner an attacking midfielder and Gareth Barry a creative/sitting midfielder who would pull the strings.

Westwood doesn't do any of the above well enough to be considered any of them. I guess the closet would be to say he was a holding midfielder but he doesn't read the game well enough to make interceptions/break up play. The part he does do of that OK is that he will get the ball from the defence and pass it accurately but more often than not sideways or backwards. I have heard it said he keeps us ticking over but if that is simply passing the ball a few yards to the side and backwards to retain possession then that alone is having very little positive impact.

Unlike some on here I don't think he is a terrible player but I do think he has gotten away with murder being on the team sheet week in week out whilst doing very little of note. 

He isn't to blame for where we are but him being a constant in the side is perhaps indicative as to why the club has fallen so far and struggled for so long.

well put Mark, I hadn't quite got the same patience at the time.....non of those I would describe as passive, I would describe as effective.

He isn't soley to blame Mark, but he has aided and abetted the situation for some time ( not his fault he doesn't pick himself).It is clear we are without the quality of any of those players mentioned above, but we have to recognise our weaknesses and deal with them when we can....We have a weak defensive feature to our game and we have had for some years...He has been a constant feature of that whilst not blaming him for it all.

We are now in a division where it is more likely that "digging out" is more probable than "playing out" and that is not dismissing the technical side of the game, just balancing the focus.

We need to become hard to beat.....I do not see Ashley Westwood feature in a " Hard to beat " team.....I'm sorry.

I have to say, Whilst I guardedly applaud his manner at the club and the way he conducts himself.....He is not a player for me or the style I see.

fortunately for him, I'm not the man to make that call.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Passive would suggest that he let's the game go by him and shows no response to happenings around him. Quite accurate but bizarre when you think it's a word being used in his defence. 

ditto

52 minutes ago, TRO said:

Mantis.

I cast my mind back to a Liverpool side who's midfield consisted of :

Heighway-Case-Souness-Callaghan.....2 wingers 2 ball winners

who's the passive midfielder there?

Bremner-Cowans-Mortimer.....who's the passive midfielder there?

What's your point? I never said every team plays with a holding midfielder.

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The defence of Westwood now just seems to be for the sake of being stubborn. 

Surely we're all on the same page, no one thinks he should be starting games and part of our future do they?

Im still in shock that we apparently rejected a bid from Burnley for him

rejected :lol:

• Like 1