Joe Bennett

Si.

I'm going on from what I remember from last season, but I couldn't state with 100% certainty, ergo I need the stats. I don't remember Bennett being dropped for Baker for anything other than tactical reasons/injury because I can remember that people were asking for it yet Bennett kept starting.

I can't find the stats either so we'll have to agree to disagree.

You made the first claim, I was merely making a counter claim.

Edited by StefanAVFC

If Luna has a few games that compare to yesterdays in quick succession then I think you can make a case for Bennett to be given a chance, that's just my opinion which is as valid as anyone else's. Some agree, some don't, lets see what Lambert does

Okay found some stuff.

Bennett plays for a bit then gets injured before United game.

Games Bennett DOESN'T play

United (h) Stevens in

City (a) Stevens in (Baker on bench)

Arsenal (h) Stevens

Reading (h) Stevens, but injured after 24'. Lichaj

QPR (a) Went 532 with Baker at CB and Lichaj at LB

Stoke (h) Ditto

Liverpool (a) Bennett back from injury on bench

Chelsea (a) came on for Lichaj

Spurs (h) Straight back into the team - plays 90

Wigan (h) starts - plays 90

Swansea (a) - 90

Southampton (h) - injured/suspended, Stevens in

West Brom (a) - 90

Newcastle (h) - Comes off at HT, system change, Baker at LB

Everton (a) - 90, with Baker dropping to the bench

West Ham (h) - Baker starts at LB to combat West Ham's style of play

Arsenal (a) - Bennett comes back in and plays 90

Man City (h) - 90

Reading (a) - Baker starts at LB. Only ????? whether tactical or dropped. Can't remember how Bennett played against City or whether they played direct.

QPR (h) - Baker keeps his place but goes off after 20 for Bennett

Liverpool (h) - 90

Stoke (a) - 90

Fulham (h) - 90

Man United (a) - 80, Baker goes to LB

Sunderland (h) - 90

Norwich (a) - 90 (luckily)

Chelsea (h) - 90

Wigan (a) - 90

Make of all that what you will. He was 'dropped' for Baker for West Ham and Reading and for 45 and 10 minutes in 2 other games. I believe 2 were tactical and 2 because of a system change/he wasn't playing well.

So Bennett's out of the team now and, unsurprisingly, he's suddenly a far better player as if by magic

Luna was shocking yesterday, but he's a 22 year old in a new country, with new teammates, who doesn't speak the language... There will be more days like that for him. Also, he's far from the only one who was poor yesterday. It happens

So Bennett's out of the team now and, unsurprisingly, he's suddenly a far better player as if by magic

Luna was shocking yesterday, but he's a 22 year old in a new country, with new teammates, who doesn't speak the language... There will be more days like that for him. Also, he's far from the only one who was poor yesterday. It happens

I don't think anybody has said that AFAIK.

So when I prove your dig wrong, you move on to a completely unrelated point?

The players that were given new contracts got them because they deserved them. Bennett didn't get one because he didn't do enough last year. He hasn't been replaced. He was injured in all of pre-season which allowed Luna to take the spot and make it his own.

Lowton was given a new deal

Vlaar is captain

KEA is starting games

Westwood is given a new contract

Benteke is given a new contract

Bennet is replaced by someone better.

That doesn't mean that Bennett should be made an unfair scapegoat, that he hasn't got the ability to improve, that he wasn't playing well consistently over the last quarter of last season, that he isn't in Lamberts plans and that Lunas performance yesterday was as bad as the worst performance I've seen at left back for a while. I'm not saying Luna isn't an improvement, but to me he isn't miles better at all and if Bennett develops a bit in different areas then Bennett could become better. But the abuse Bennett has been given is a bit ott 

• Like 2

It is impossible to say if Luna is better than Bennett or vice versa yet and I like Luna, but in terms of someone with a little of technical ability and composure on the ball Bennett was one of few players we had who can 'sometimes' do that.

Most will argue he doesn't have the physical frame to be a midfielder, but considering our lack of other options I just don't buy that.

• Like 1

The players that were given new contracts got them because they deserved them. Bennett didn't get one because he didn't do enough last year. He hasn't been replaced. He was injured in all of pre-season which allowed Luna to take the spot and make it his own.

My dig? What was my dig?

Bennet didn't do enough because he wasn't good enough and it seems the manager agreed.

My dig? What was my dig?

Bennet didn't do enough because he wasn't good enough and it seems the manager agreed.

i'm with StefanAVFC, Bennett had some shockers last season - but he did improve. And a lack of preseason has caused him to be dropped not just Tony Moon coming to town. 

well...... possibly

Absolute cack.

**** hell, I detest our fans at times. A guy coming in in his first season in the Premiership and found it hard. He improved towards the back end of the season, yet some people will still keep the blinkered view that he's terrible. It's your opinion, at the end of the day, but he's clearly not 'absolute shite' or 'bloody awful'.

Bennett in particularly copped a lot of flak last year. Some warranted definitely, but some was ridiculously OTT. He closed his Twitter because of abuse and he got it from the fans at home games.

Imagine how that would affect you as a person, if all you got was absolute abuse from your so-called 'fans', just for doing your job. But obviously, it's part of the job because he earns good money. It winds me up how people can take a moral high ground over footballers because they earn good money as well. Absolute cobblers.

He doesn't deserve abuse because at least he tries hard.  But unfortunately he IS shite.  Never a Premier League standard player in a million years.  In a poor defence, he was the weakest link.

He wasn't needed on the bench. We had Bacuna and Clark who could cover full back positions. Then all midfield and attacking options.

Remember, he's only had 90 mins in pretty all all pre-season and regular season, and that was against a L1 team.

I have no doubt he's 2nd choice NOW, but I don't think Luna was brought in to be a nailed on first choice. It just so happened that Bennett was injured. While Luna stays fit and plays okay, I doubt he'll come in but knowing that there is another LB over your shoulder will push you to work harder.

A Man United fan (friend of mine, ST holder, very knowledgeable about United) said to me last season that them signing Buttner was one of the moves of the season. Not because he played much, but because he pushed Evra to perform. Which Evra didn't have to do before. If Bennett gets his chance, he'll know that if he cocks up, Luna will be straight back in. It's a squad game.

Absolute cack.

**** hell, I detest our fans at times. A guy coming in in his first season in the Premiership and found it hard. He improved towards the back end of the season, yet some people will still keep the blinkered view that he's terrible. It's your opinion, at the end of the day, but he's clearly not 'absolute shite' or 'bloody awful'.

Bennett in particularly copped a lot of flak last year. Some warranted definitely, but some was ridiculously OTT. He closed his Twitter because of abuse and he got it from the fans at home games.

Imagine how that would affect you as a person, if all you got was absolute abuse from your so-called 'fans', just for doing your job. But obviously, it's part of the job because he earns good money. It winds me up how people can take a moral high ground over footballers because they earn good money as well. Absolute cobblers.

He doesn't deserve abuse because at least he tries hard.  But unfortunately he IS shite.  Never a Premier League standard player in a million years.  In a poor defence, he was the weakest link.

That's your opinion. I just find it a bit pathetic that you continually write-off players after their first season in a new league.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Â