Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Well no its not technically a must win but in reality it would be better for all of us is we did.

Quite. Which makes every game a must-win pokey.gif

yeah one good win is great and all but PL even said.. forget it and onto the next one. ...

Sorry, but I intend to savor that game for many years to come. To echo Oaks, as long as the players move on with reality, all is well ...

Well no its not technically a must win but in reality it would be better for all of us is we did.

Quite. Which makes every game a must-win pokey.gif

There is that but I meant in the context current cirucmstances.

I wouldn't fancy facing Wigan on the last day of the season needing a result to stay up. Far better we pretty much confirm our safety asap and then have a couple of weeks without worrying about how the Villa will inevtiably **** up.

Lets face it - its a must win. 3 points gives us 40 and we are safe as houses - we can write of Chelsea and it would be lovely to go to Wigan already safe and spend an afternoon taking the piss.

We could concievable finish on 43 points which puts us firmly midtable despite the utter shite we served up over Christmas.

I'm going 2-1 Villa with Andi and Bentekkers to score and us to conceed our statutory goal once we've gone 1 up.

i'm starting to think that 40 points may well not be safe as houses at all. wigan could pick up 9 points.

Lets face it - its a must win. 3 points gives us 40 and we are safe as houses - we can write of Chelsea and it would be lovely to go to Wigan already safe and spend an afternoon taking the piss.

We could concievable finish on 43 points which puts us firmly midtable despite the utter shite we served up over Christmas.

I'm going 2-1 Villa with Andi and Bentekkers to score and us to conceed our statutory goal once we've gone 1 up.

i'm starting to think that 40 points may well not be safe as houses at all. wigan could pick up 9 points.

But if we beat Norwich, then they'll be on 38. I think people seem to forget it's not just between us and Wigan anyway. It's between 4 or 5.

But if we beat Norwich, then they'll be on 38. I think people seem to forget it's not just between us and Wigan anyway. It's between 4 or 5.

yup 4 or 5 teams all capable of beating 40 points, which is why i'm starting to think it might not be enough.

A win at Norwich will probably be enough to see us safe, but if Wigan win their next two we could still be part of a massive pile-up of relegation candidates with two games to go.

For example, a certain set of results in eight matches to be played by next Tuesday would give us the following table (taking each win as being by a single goal):

9. Swansea 36-42 (GD -3)

10. West Ham 36-42 (GD -9)

11. Southampton 36-40 (GD -10)

12. Fulham 36-40 (GD -10)

13. Stoke 36-40 (GD -11)

14. Sunderland 36-40 (GD -11)

15. Villa 36-40 (GD -21)

16. Newcastle 36-40 (GD -22)

17. Wigan 36-38 (GD -21)

18. Norwich 36-38 (GD -22)

In that situation, any one of those ten teams could then still be relegated. :)  :mellow:  :o  

yup 4 or 5 teams all capable of beating 40 points, which is why i'm starting to think it might not be enough.

I doubt all of the teams in it will finish on 40. That would require everybody winning. Norwich especially, if they don't win on Saturday then they have West Brom and City, Not easy.

I fear 40 won't be enough either (especially with our goal difference). Wigan perfectly capable of beating the Boggies and Swansea, which would lift them to 39 points and just requiring a victory against us.

My head hurts thinking of all these permutations

Im worried that Iam not worried

I'm worried that your not worried! :P

It is quite worrying to note that a fan has become worried about another fan who is worried that he is not worried.

Now you have me worried too!

So we are all worried, good sign, that leaves me unworried!

Are you not worried that you are not worried as is the original poster?

That could be worrying if you are!

Quality.

However, I do think (and you can quote me) that Newcastle won't take a single point for the rest of this season

I don't get why people are saying this. They have QPR who have won 4 games all season. I know Newcastle have only won 1 away game all season, but surely there is 1 point or maybe 3 to be had there?

However, I do think (and you can quote me) that Newcastle won't take a single point for the rest of this season

I don't get why people are saying this. They have QPR who have won 4 games all season. I know Newcastle have only won 1 away game all season, but surely there is 1 point or maybe 3 to be had there?

Whilst acknowledging that QPR are a bit of a shambles, they will doubtless play with a bit more freedom now. Add to that some players will be keen to engineer moves away so may start turning on the style to secure themselves a summer move.

When QPR are bad, they're horrible but they also have some very useful players and can play good football. If they play like they did in the first half at VP they will win no problem.

Whilst acknowledging that QPR are a bit of a shambles, they will doubtless play with a bit more freedom now. Add to that some players will be keen to engineer moves away so may start turning on the style to secure themselves a summer move.

When QPR are bad, they're horrible but they also have some very useful players and can play good football. If they play like they did in the first half at VP they will win no problem.

Most of their players haven't cared all season, they won't start now. Most of the first team don't need to play good to get a move away. They're already getting stupid money, they might as well just stay where they are.

I think it will be another toothless performance from them and Newcastle will pick up an easy 3 points.

Most of their players haven't cared all season, they won't start now. Most of the first team don't need to play good to get a move away. They're already getting stupid money, they might as well just stay where they are.

I think it will be another toothless performance from them and Newcastle will pick up an easy 3 points.

Newcastle and 'easy 3 points' in the same sentence? They're as bad at the moment as QPR have ever been. QPR will play with a freedom now compared to what they were doing. If Newcastle do win then it'll be only barely. But given their recent performances I'm more than hopeful QPR will do the biz.

I fear 40 won't be enough either (especially with our goal difference). Wigan perfectly capable of beating the Boggies and Swansea, which would lift them to 39 points and just requiring a victory against us.

My head hurts thinking of all these permutations

I'm not sure they are. They lost at home to West Brom and away to Swansea and the West Brom game especially was played while they were in good form. I can see them picking up 4 at an absolutely maximum. More likely they pick up 0 than 6.

Newcastle are equally hopeless. Full of French mercenaries. I read that Ben Arfa (who has come back from injury twice the man) was in a gym in Newcastle whilst the Villa/Sunderland game was on and didn't play a blind bit of notice. They don't care. Pardew has lost the dressing room. It's like the 100 years war over that way. The French and the English are at each others throats.