Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Comparing the whole of last season to this one shows no improvement.

My Arse

2013Form_zps6c070810.jpg

It's a pointless argument after last night because it was an incredible performance.

But right there you haven't compared the whole of last season to this one. You've compared the whole of last season to a selected point from this one.

I happily admitted there was potential for a lot of improvement but before last night we averaged 1 point a game which was exactly the same as the whole of last season.

The good news now is that having wiped away the nightmare goal difference deficit, like all the other strugglers just below & above us, we are now only 1 win away from safety, instead of needing a win & a draw. That Goal Difference nightmare has been a millstone around our neck that has tormented us since that awful xmas period.

Tonights result was worth  7 pts, no question. Plus we have really cranked up the pressure on Wigan now, plus Sunderland, Newcastle & Norwich know they need to get at least one more result out of their last 3 games & still with some tough fixtures to play. In a worst case scenario we should at least now go to the last game of the season to decide our fate. ( Still a scary prospect) but hopefully it won't come to that!

Bottom line though is that this has been a monumental victory for us tonight.

Key for me - is Wigan are now going into the next two games as must wins - hopefully the pressure will tell on them.

Comparing the whole of last season to this one shows no improvement.

My Arse

2013Form_zps6c070810.jpg

It's a pointless argument after last night because it was an incredible performance.

But right there you haven't compared the whole of last season to this one. You've compared the whole of last season to a selected point from this one.

I happily admitted there was potential for a lot of improvement but before last night we averaged 1 point a game which was exactly the same as the whole of last season.

blah b blah b blah blah blah

VillaCas, I'm on your side. The improvement since the xmas period is a valid argument to show improvement this season and potential for future improvement (as opposed to McLeish's constant decline)

But to be fair, in that post you have CLEARLY compared the whole of last season to only PART of this season, which is exactly what you were saying you weren't doing.

Let it go.

• Like 2

Anyway, getting away from the bogus stats, the pressure is now all on Wigan. They have two absolute must win games coming up or they are likely to find themselves hopelessly adrift. I think if they don't win these two, and particularly if we can get a win at Norwich, we can watch the relegation battle unfold as interested observers, not participants.

VillaCas, I'm on your side. The improvement since the xmas period is a valid argument to show improvement this season and potential for future improvement (as opposed to McLeish's constant decline)

But to be fair, in that post you have CLEARLY compared the whole of last season to only PART of this season, which is exactly what you were saying you weren't doing.

Let it go.

lol, you're right - I think I'm a little sleep-deprived. I went to the pub after the match and then watched the full 3.5 hour recording of MNF (hated Gary Neville as a player but what a **** excellent pundit) when I got in and then was so excited that I couldn't sleep. My voice is shot to pieces from celebrating and abusing Di Canio.

TBH my argument has never been that this season as a whole is better than last season as a whole, just that under McLeish we were getting worse and under Lambert we are clearly getting better

I'm in such a good mood I don't care

Anyway, getting away from the bogus stats, the pressure is now all on Wigan. They have two absolute must win games coming up or they are likely to find themselves hopelessly adrift. I think if they don't win these two, and particularly if we can get a win at Norwich, we can watch the relegation battle unfold as interested observers, not participants.

Yep.

Even if we get no more points, they need to win 2 of their last 4 games to stay up (or at least win one and draw 2 considering GD)

That's a big ask in itself.

haha - Top half form this year - nothing bogus about that

Win at Norwich - Its over IMO

Work still to be done.

A loss at Norwich, and Wigan and Newcastle win, suddenly it's out of our hands and we could require something at Wigan in the last game again.

Hope Lambert is telling the players that.

Remember the post-Anfield results!

• Like 1

Work still to be done.

A loss at Norwich, and Wigan and Newcastle win, suddenly it's out of our hands and we could require something at Wigan in the last game again.

Hope Lambert is telling the players that.

Remember the post-Anfield results!

3 Games - 1 win is all we need - the finish line is in sight.forget the other permutations

unless wigan can put together 9 points in 4 games then a win at norwich should see us safe. they'll certainly have the confidence thst they can score goals :)

if we get turned over at norwich though we will be right back in the shit so my vote stays as unsure till we do norwich by a couple of goals and wigan, newcastle and sunderland all lose.

So it would still be in our hands

May have figured it out wrong, don't think so though?

Wigan would be 2 points behind us with a game in hand? Newcastle on 40, us on 37. Both with a one goal better goal difference if the result in all three games is 1-0.

Look I don't mind the fans celebrating a bit, but I just don't want the players relaxing just yet. As I don't have a direct line to the Villa squad, this is where I'll be posting my worried thoughts  :flag:

---

Just realised what you meant, what a fool.

I don't want to even need a point in that game, I couldn't handle it!

Edited by Tomaszk

As far as I am concerned, I was over the moon with last nights result BUt we beat Liverpool 0-3 and I thought we had turned the corner and we had not.So I will wait for the Norwich result before I think of celebrating. 

The things in our favour are,The lads should be full of confidence and our win will do absouloutly zilch for Norwich.

lots still to do, but the players must believe that they can do it... and i must say, PL has always been very careful to emphasize that not getting unduly upset with big defeats goes hand in hand with not getting carried away with our wins...

roll on saturday, but lets not have it be like fulham - one that we should have won after a good previous performance, but one that we came out really flat for, and ended up throwing away two points....