Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I'm basing it on the fact that you seem delighted that your prediction of relegation may come true and thus prove you right in some way

I've never predicted relegation, I predicted we'd be in a battle. Why would any fan want their team to perform badly so they could say I was right on the Internet? That's just ridiculous.

The point is, as the overwhelming majority of posters here seem to appreciate, is that last season we were average for a while and then shit and this season were shit and have improved to being average - an upward trajectory instead of a downward one! Are you saying that you really can't see an improvement between the team that finished last season and the current team?

Agree with that but I'm not sure it's classed as improvement. We look better but what's that resulting in? We're not picking up more points a game this season and we're not in a higher league position. Like Morpheous said you could show an upward trajectory and we could still get relegated but that wouldn't be improvement. I think Lambert's created a position for us to potentially to improve next season but I'll be honest I expected more and there's no guarantees things will be better next year.

Not the point we were arguing is it. You claimed I had taken my data from a "selective period". I hadn't.

I thought your original argument before Xmas was taking the final period of Mcleish's season to compare with Lambert. That was a selected period. And like I say if its the whole season compared to the whole of this season it's very similar.

If you compare our performance this season with last season's match by match, i.e. comparing last  season's results with those for this season, in the order they were played this season, (substituting promoted clubs for those relegated last season), this is what you get:

Last season is red, this season blue

:20123graph_zps7466215a.jpg

Looked at that way, Lambert has only been doing better than McLeish for a very short period and is currently doing a little worse. 

That maybe puts VillaCas's graph in perspective, Things perhaps look a bit better than last season because we played the teams in a different order. In particular, in our last 6 games or so we have played 3 very poor sides so it looks as if we are now storming..

(BTW - no, not all the games we played show up in the horizointal axis. That's just a result of the crappy graph programme I used. Believe me, all the data is in there and is correct.)

McLeish had Petrov for most of the season. I think it's very hard to overestimate just what an important player he was for us. I reckon that if he had been fit and healthy this season we would've been comfortably safe by now.

• Like 2

For the most part true due to his experience and leadership skills. However, he would have been 33 years old all season and he hasn't always been the best player. I remember lots of times when many wanted Petrov to play less when we were doing well.

However, I think everyone on here would have wanted him to play instead of Westwood, Bannan et al when we were doing awfully before Christmas.

Lambert had the chance to replace him though, with an experienced leader in the middle. He didn't.

For the most part true due to his experience and leadership skills. However, he would have been 33 years old all season and he hasn't always been the best player. I remember lots of times when many wanted Petrov to play less when we were doing well.

However, I think everyone on here would have wanted him to play instead of Westwood, Bannan et al when we were doing awfully before Christmas.

Lambert had the chance to replace him though, with an experienced leader in the middle. He didn't.

Very true, Its terrible what happened to Petrov but lets be honest I don't think he would be a regular in the team these days.

I remember lots of times when many wanted Petrov to play less when we were doing well.

There's plenty of people who think Bannan should be in the team now. That is not really the basis for a reasonable argument to my mind

• Like 1

He did though. He bought KEA

He made a complete arse of it but he did buy an experience CM. 

McLeish had Petrov for most of the season. I think it's very hard to overestimate just what an important player he was for us. I reckon that if he had been fit and healthy this season we would've been comfortably safe by now.

Totally disagree. A couple or so more points and the defeats wouldnt have been as humiliating. He would have helped, but no he wouldnt have made a massive difference imo.

Him and Dunne fit, maybe? That would have give us a decent spine throughout the season given Vlaars injury woes. 

Totally disagree. A couple or so more points and the defeats wouldnt have been as humiliating. He would have helped, but no he wouldnt have made a massive difference imo.

I think he would, we'd have had a leader on the pitch, an organiser, someone who knew how to play in the last 15 mins of a game.

We simply do not have a wise head on the pitch this season, no one with any ringcraft, Petrov would have provided that in abundance

I think he would, we'd have had a leader on the pitch, an organiser, someone who knew how to play in the last 15 mins of a game.

We simply do not have a wise head on the pitch this season, no one with any ringcraft, Petrov would have provided that in abundance

|i dont necessarily disagree with that, I just don't think his know how (on its own) would have been enough to change much of the actions of those around him.  If Petrovs playing, Bakers still diving in like a complete clown, Clark's still doing cruyff turns in his own half etc.

Add in there Richy Dunne and that might have made a bigger difference.

Don't get me wrong we would have had a couple or so extra points and a better GD

Exactly. Petrov would've made a huge difference, especially given the lack of experience.

Edited by Mantis

Exactly. Petrov would've made a huge difference, especially given the lack of experience.

He didnt make a huge difference in the two seasons before, with far better players around him.