Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Wigan are below us for a reason. This nonsense of expecting them to beat everyone they have left is baffling

I think it's ridiculous to expect them to win every game left but I don't think it's ridiculous to think they might cause one or two upsets.

Why are people expecting them to do that, and expecting us to pick up next to nothing?

because its mighty Wigan, the Houdini of football. the same way everybody is negative about us getting points from last 6 games but expect everybody else form to turn into Barcelona

because its mighty Wigan, the Houdini of football. the same way everybody is negative about us getting points from last 6 games but expect everybody else form to turn into Barcelona

I suppose it's linked to the whole thing that people say we're shit, and when we play shit they complain that we should be playing better. If we're shit what do they expect

Wigan are below us for a reason. This nonsense of expecting them to beat everyone they have left is baffling

I think it's ridiculous to expect them to win every game left but I don't think it's ridiculous to think they might cause one or two upsets.

Why are people expecting them to do that, and expecting us to pick up next to nothing?

Well if you go by the law of averages, we have picked up exactly 1 point per game.  That being said we will get 3 points from our next 3 games.  That will leave us on 37 points.  if Wigan do the same and get 4 points in their next 4 games that will leave them on 35.  Its the last day all the way.  Thats if you want to be logical about the thing. 

I like a good stat as much as the next man, however I feel that the Monte Carlo simulation is something of a blunt instrument. Am I right that you are using data from across the whole season to apply to these last four games?

A bit over half of the rating underlying those is accounted for by games starting with home to Newcastle.

I suppose it's linked to the whole thing that people say we're shit, and when we play shit they complain that we should be playing better. If we're shit what do they expect

You've mentioned similar before and I don't agree with it.

If I expect us to win and we do can i not celebrate?

If someone thinks negative and is proved right it doesn't mean they can't express their dissapointment or anger in being shit.

As for the positive thoughts on Wigan I think it's down to seeing them escape a couple of times. I think the worry with us is that even though performances have improved our defence is such a weakness that it still leaves us in a vulnerable position. Maybe it's just worry turning into negative thoughts. I don't really know.

I know I'm not confident in having to go to Wigan and needing something from the game to stay up.

To be honest if it does come down to the last game, I'm glad we're away as I wouldn't fancy us at villa park

Agreed. I never fancy us at VP and haven't for quite some time. Don't know why we're so shit there.

People back wigan because they dont play with pressure that villa do. How often do you see wigan taking the lead and falling to peices? Everytime we take the lead the players immediately look shellshocked "**** me, were winning?!" Then the nerves set in, the challanges become more reckless, instead of kicking the ball up the line we give away the ball putting us under pressure. It spreads through the fans and reverberates around the stadium, even away from home, 2-0 against wba at half time, you knew, you would of put your house on them getting an equiliser if they got the first goal after halftime.

I said in the utd match thread, vlaar is our captain, the man is supposed to organize, shout, scream do whatever to keep us together. He does none of this. He gives us all the leadership qualities of Stephen Ireland. Harsh mayby considering its his first season and its not his fault he is expected to sort out a young inexperienced backline, but the guy is 28 and a dutch international. He should do so much better.

The question should be, If the infallible Wigan are so composed and capable, how come they're 3 points behind the worst Villa side ever?

Its definitely not the worst Villa team ever. Don't forget we got relegated to the old third division and the team Graham Taylor inherited and got promoted to the 1st Div in 88 was a very very poor team. just that Taylor was a much better manager than he was given credit for.

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

Which result would you accept now.

Going to wigan needing to win...draw or having 1 point ahead of Wigan before the final match?

Me personally.. id rather we needed the win to stay up. If we were there 1-2 points infront.. i dont trust this side holding out for a draw/win. Id rather we were the desperate ones putting them under pressure at home.

Whichever it is.. its certainly looking like going to the last day. Well Done Sky.

Be 4 points ahead of Wigan come the game at the DW. Just simply don't trust a Villa team who 'shit themselves' whenever we are trying to protect a lead e.g. Everton, Baggies, Swansea and Liverpool. 3 points ahead maybe depending on what the goal difference looks like, 1 would have be taking a spare pair of boxers upto Wigan with me :)

Come the last game of season of course i would want to be 1 point ahead of Wigan. Any one saying otherwise isnt thinking straight. Gives us the draw and win. Take them both outcomes everyday of the week.

Come the last game of season of course i would want to be 1 point ahead of Wigan. Any one saying otherwise isnt thinking straight. Gives us the draw and win. Take them both outcomes everyday of the week.

Yes totally agree. You would not want to have to win that last game

Wigan's secret is simple. Because they are such a small club there is no pressure on them so they stay calm & only ever play each game at a time.They do not look ahead & brick it like we do when they see fixtures like Manure & Chelski on the immediate horizon.  If they lose 8-0 it has absolutely no effect on them whatsoever. They simply kick off the next week again with the exact same mind set that Martinez has instilled in them & just continue to play. This explains why their results are so unpredictable unpredictable.

Their most important weapon  in their arsenal is the totally destructive psychological effect that their unexpected wins do to blow the mind set of those struggling in & around them. Once you understand this you also know this psychological damage is also  being heavily inflicted on Sunderland, Stoke & Norwich.

Bear all this in mind if Wigan do turn Spurs over (God forbid) & we crash & burn Sunderland.

The pressure is going to be enormous & last season's lessons show that it was Bolton (Bookies favourite's to survive) who ultimately went down

It's all about keeping your nerve & letting others blow their washing machines trying to clean out the skid marks in their underwear!  :)

The fact we have such a young side paradoxically may help us. These lads play without fear & the kit man assures me ALL underpants are claret & blue only & skid mark free! ;)  :P

if we go down and wigan stay up i will be enormously pissed off as a general football fan that a great football club with a big, local backing has once again fallen at the expense of an utter shite B-team to the Rugby club. Don't want sunderland down either because of the fanbase and stadium numbers they bring in every year. Got a soft spot for Norwich too but Stoke can go **** off if Wigan stay up