Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

The bottom line in this relegation scrap is that we need to concentrate on our own form rather than worry about other teams.  The way we have been playing recently gives me confidence that we can stay up.  The team has a good balance and players like Guzan, Weimann, Benteke and Westwood are really stepping it up.  They all work their socks off for each other and there is no comparison between this team and the one that was relegated in the eighties.

• Like 2

The bottom line in this relegation scrap is that we need to concentrate on our own form rather than worry about other teams.  The way we have been playing recently gives me confidence that we can stay up.  The team has a good balance and players like Guzan, Weimann, Benteke and Westwood are really stepping it up.  They all work their socks off for each other and there is no comparison between this team and the one that was relegated in the eighties.

or the one that represented us last season

I don't think Wigan can be written off. Of the three teams below us, they are the most likely to pull themselves out of it. They have a good history of successful Great Escapes and though their luck is bound to run out eventually, I don't think it will happen with Martinez at the helm.

Our best hope is that Sunderland get dragged into it, and with their woeful performance today (can't beat 10-man Norwich at home, even with all the ref decisions going your way?), combined with their difficult run of fixtures, that seems very likely. I'm in complete agreement with Fazilla above, safety is in our hands and we can't count on other teams to help us out. That means we need as many points as possible, especially against the teams around us, and we need all three points against Sunderland in particular.

Of the matches we have left:

- Liverpool (h) - a real crapshoot. You never know what Liverpool team is going to turn up. A draw is my best guess, but any point here is a bonus really. They're a much stronger team than the one we cut open back in November. I would be delighted at a win but I won't be expecting it.

- Stoke (a) - Winnable.

- Fulham (h) - Winnable

- Man Utd (a) - zero points.

- Sunderland (h) - Must win

- Norwich (a) - Winnable

- Chelsea (h) - zero points.

- Wigan (a) - ?????? It's going to depend on what's at stake for both teams on the day, really.

If we pick up 3 points against Sunderland and win any two of the other games up there we should be more than secure, especially if we get a draw here and there. Maybe even mid-table depending on how West Ham, Newcastle, Stoke, Norwich etc do.

Definitely do-able, but the job's not done yet.

if we cant win 2/3 games out of the last 8 with the run in we have, we dont deserve to be in the prem plus Fulham winning today was a great result for us.

Edited by HeyAnty

if we cant win 2/3 games out of the last 8 with the run in we have, we dont deserve to be in the prem plus Fulham winning today was a great result for us.

Why was the Fulham result good? legit question

Why was the Fulham result good? legit question

Giving the run in Fulham has, IMO they were going to stay up safely.  Villa has to play them and they wont be treating it as a must win match now.  They have to play 4 or 5 teams below them and only have Arsenal left of the top 5

Its between us and wigan - much as we wish it weren't - that's how I see it

Sunderland don't concede many - but always seem to be able to rustle up a result - when they really need it - that's kept them out of the r-zone most of the season - and they will do so again

We still look leaky at the back - which I feel will be our undoing - it will be a surprise to me if we are safe going into the wigan game

I just did a predictor and it turned out like this....

11th - Newcastle

12th - Southampton

13th - Fulham

14th - Villa

15th - Norwich

16th - Stoke

17th - QPR

18th - Sunderland

19th - Wigan

20th - Reading

Didn't feel like I was being particularly kind to Villa.  Though, had us finishing on 41 points.  

lol - I did it earlier and was being pretty kind to Villa and we finished on 39 points...

Sunderland don't concede many - but always seem to be able to rustle up a result - when they really need it - that's kept them out of the r-zone most of the season - and they will do so again

We still look leaky at the back - which I feel will be our undoing - it will be a surprise to me if we are safe going into the wigan game

That's how im seeing it too. After the euphoria of yesterday, I genuinely thought we would be fine, then the reality of wigan winning, us having a very hard match v pool who will be looking to avenge the home defeat and a poor game ay soton yesterday, coupled with wigan having a very winnable game v norwich next.

I can take the despair, its the hope that's killing me.

Couldn't disagree more. I think Sunderland will drop. They have been on a really bad run, are playing really poorly,  their fans are not behind the manager or players (terrible atmosphere today, total contrast to us yesterday) and they have a really tough run of fixtures. The next 5 are Man Utd, Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton and us.

Momentum is very important at this stage of the season we have it and Sunderland don't. I am confident we will stay up and convinced we will finish comfortably above Sunderland.

Edited by markavfc40