Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Agents aren't wise, just greedy.  We could offer him a pay rise with a release clause in, but to be honest I think we would be better off selling him this summer if one of the big clubs put in a £25m bid.  His career would probably go backwards but they all seem too stupid to realise that and it's not our problem.  Get in a partner for Vlaar from Europe, a strong midfielder and two wingers with the money and we won't be relegation fodder next year.  It's amazing Benteke has scored so many goals when he basically been our only attacking threat, but given the right service next year Bent and Weimann would score plenty.  If we just keep Benteke and don't have the money to add any other players to the team then we'll struggle again.

No chance in us getting 25m for him if we're near the bottom. Also lets say we did get 25m for him. We wouldnt see all of that money anyway.

Also two wingers, a strong DM and an abroad centre back would be crap for 25m in this day and age.... you would need a fair bit more than that to get prem standard players.

didnt Wolves get like 14 million each for Matt Jarvis and Steven Fletcher. Benteke is much more valuable asset than them 2

10.75 for jarvis and 12 for fletcher. Unbelievable how they got that much for them. So thats 23m for them two.

An extra 2m for benteke i cant see happening. If we was smashing it like we was when we had milner we could get like 20m + a player or w.e.

But you've got to consider that Benteke went on strike at his old club when he couldnt move and also said that he'd love to play for arsenal when he first joined us... Then we're battling relegation aswell as all this. We wouldnt be in the strongest of positions to sell irrelevant of whether he's got a long contract or not.

If we stay up it will only be for another season.

You can not have a PL team with Championship and lower division players, also you can not have a successful team without any experienced old hands in it to help the younger players.

Lambert and Lerner are trying to achieve the impossable.

Sorry but how many of the Swansea first XI were bought from other Premier League teams?  I wish people would put that argument to bed, it's about quality and value and that could come from any footballing background, be it abroad, lower leagues, rivals, anywhere

What a massive opportunity tomorrow is not only for us to put some distance between ourselves and the bottom 3 but to also bring a number of teams to within touching distance. Sunderland, Norwich, West Ham, Stoke, Fulham and Newcastle, and most have tough looking fixtures, could all potentially be within 3 points after this weekends games so long as we win tomorrow.

What a massive opportunity tomorrow is not only for us to put some distance between ourselves and the bottom 3 but to also bring a number of teams to within touching distance. Sunderland, Norwich, West Ham, Stoke, Fulham and Newcastle, and most have tough looking fixtures, could all potentially be within 3 points after this weekends games so long as we win tomorrow.

Sunderland are playing Norwich so it's probably best for us if Norwich win - they will pull to safety but Sunderland will be right in it. The rest i think are fine, especially Newcastle who are in no trouble whatsoever.

I would. I think he very much wants to play.

He doesn't striker me as someone who'll sit on the bench for another year here. He's too good for that.

I hope you're right.

Considering he's on, supposedly, £50k p/w, he'd surely want more than that from any club who takes him on, because I doubt they'd offer him a 5-year-contract like we did.

If we can shift Given, Ireland, Hutton, Makoun & Bent. Then allow Dunne's contract to expire, I would hope that Lambert can re-invest the available wages on some quality players.

Even if Lambert is only given 1/3 of the wages of the players that we've gotten rid of, over the course of the season, I'd guesstimate that he would get around £100k wages to offer to new players.

I would. I think he very much wants to play.

He doesn't striker me as someone who'll sit on the bench for another year here. He's too good for that.

I hope you're right.

Considering he's on, supposedly, £50k p/w, he'd surely want more than that from any club who takes him on, because I doubt they'd offer him a 5-year-contract like we did.

He took a paycut to come here from City. OK we offered him a long contract for someone that age, but he still took a hit to his wages to play.

He's expressed his desire to play football a number of times. Talk is cheap, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who wants to waste his last few years in the game, especially if he wants to keep playing internationally.

A win tomorrow would be monumental. I think if we don't chase the game and hold it tight at the back we can do this. Rain forecast so a slippy surface which should suit gabby and Benteke over QPR's oap defence .

Stay up this year and I think lambert will have a good summer shipping out the deadwood - Ireland Dunne given etc and getting another couple of young hungry players in, perhaps of a slightly higher calibre .

I agree with you, but as well as taking a wage cut, I thought part of the reason he was happy to do so was because we gave him a 5-year-contract.

But I'm not sure he'd have to knock much off that contract elsewhere.

He'll have 3 years left on his Villa Contract in the summer.

I'd imagine a number of clubs wouldn't hesitate to offer him a 2 year contract.

Think I've said this, but win tomorrow and I'm pretty confident we'll be safe. Easier said than done though.

Let's hope that's not the message the players are getting. We are very deep in trouble and will need to go on fighting for every point we can get for the rest of the season. A win tomorrow would be a fantastic boost but we remain dependent on how the teams around us are doing.

Edited by briny_ear