Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I agree that the PL is the most important competition by a country mile, but this cup run should be doing a great deal in regards to confidence, especially as our squad is so young. I'm sure nobody would be happy if the lads were told "you only beat the current champions Man City because they don't care about the League Cup", or "you only beat Norwich, a team in great form, because they don't care about the League Cup".

Our cup run could be the morale boost that keeps them going to avoid the relegation battle.

I also hope the extra revenue a televised semi-final and/or final would be given to Lambert to spend, as so far he should have gained the trust of Lerner with his signings and being able to spread the budget. Could potentially add to what Lambert can bring in come January, again helping our fight against relegation.

were all obviously going to differ on opinion of the squad, otherwise this forum would be boring, but in my opinion, we have many below average players, and some just above average players, making the first team well, average

We'd also get how much revenue from ticket sales, merchandise etc. + the TV revenue. Even a few extra million, if it goes towards Lamberts kitty then I have no doubt in my mind that he would use it well.

As for average players, what do you expect, we're a bottom half of the table club. As Lambert himself has said though, it's going to take at least three seasons to rebuild and they'll be new faces in that time as well as old faces leaving. His transfers so far look promising (bar Bennett who we are yet to really see properly), so as long as we continue to get these average players whilst they're cheap I don't mind, because if they meet their potential in three seasons time we're likely to be rising up the table which is the plan.

I completely agree with CI, we have some young average players who could go on to be First Class players, so let Lambert continue to bring them in.

Statistics dont mean a thing. In all three games we looked like we could score, we had decent pressure, we had decent possession. Yeah we struggled second half v QPR but otherwise. We didnt always turn that into shots, but thats just not the same thing as goal threat in any sense..

Claiming that "statistics don't mean a thing" is quite an astounding statement but specifically saying that a lack of shots on goal has nothing to do with "goal threat" has floored me. How else does "goal threat" translate into goals and how come we are the lowest scoring side in the premier league despite our goal threat?

Claiming that "statistics don't mean a thing" is quite an astounding statement but specifically saying that a lack of shots on goal has nothing to do with "goal threat" has floored me. How else does "goal threat" translate into goals and how come we are the lowest scoring side in the premier league despite our goal threat?

We havent carried a goal threat in the premier league this year, that is why we are the lowest scorers. I too fail how to see you can carry a goal threat without having shots on goal, that makes no sense

We havent carried a goal threat in the premier league this year, that is why we are the lowest scorers. I too fail how to see you can carry a goal threat without having shots on goal, that makes no sense

This is looking delicious at this point in time.

if we can get 4 points from chelsea, wigan and spurs before the end of the year we might be able to get to 13th for january, but it's likely we'll slip a place or two instead. hopefully the doom and gloom mongers around these parts won't focus on that and look past the fact that we're looking like turning into a semi decent team. a couple of decent signings in january and who knows where we'll be come may - after all, we're, somewhat astonishingly, just 9 points off 4th

Lerner need's to match Lambert's ambition not only to keep Benteke but also and more importantly to keep Lambert.

i dont think lerner's ambition can honestly be called into question the amount of money he's pumped into the club in the last 6 years. he's dead right wanting to reset everything and start again financially after a complete mess in terms of wasted money on signings. i dont think lambert is under any illusions either. year one is bring some good young players in and start instilling a football philosophy in the club. year two will be bring in 2-3 experienced players and a couple more kids and push for a top 10 finish. year 3 will be reward the kids from year 1 who deserve it with good, long term contracts and aim a little higher with transfers and try for a top 7 finish. year 4 will be where the big money will be needed, but at that point things should be relatively stable financially allowing us to actually start spending big again

if we can get 4 points from chelsea, wigan and spurs before the end of the year we might be able to get to 13th for january, but it's likely we'll slip a place or two instead. hopefully the doom and gloom mongers around these parts won't focus on that and look past the fact that we're looking like turning into a semi decent team. a couple of decent signings in january and who knows where we'll be come may - after all, we're, somewhat astonishingly, just 9 points off 4th

Aside from Manchester City who in all fairness owed us one and steamrollered us we've been in good form since the Norwich 1-1, which was in late October. The last three performances in the league were not stunning by any stretch but they yealded a healthy return, then there was today's victory which was thoroughly deserved. Not to mention the cup run.

Anyone who can't see we've turned the corner, massively, needs their head examined. I'd back us to get 4 points from those games, I especially fancy us to win on Boxing Day.

They may not be household names but I'm struggling to name one of our young side who don't look the part right now. Bannan maybe but he's had his moments such as Arsenal, Lichaj is likely a stop gap. Then you have the likes of Westwood, Guzan, Lowton, Baker, Weimann and of course Benteke. Cracking little players the lot if them. They've taken a while to gel from decent individuals into a team, but gel they have.

In before the lock. We'll be top 10 by February.

• Like 1