Paul Lambert fan forum

ulstervilla

Also agree with KHV, too weak and too slow for centre back, and doesnt read the game well enough to cover these deficiencies.

The defending for the second goal at forest was abysmal - apologies if it wasn't Clark I haven't seen it since but I thought it was him at the time

What I liked about Clark when I first seen him was how composed he was for a youngster. I must admit I don't yet feel he is ready for a full season at CB -tbh I can't wait for Dunne to be FIT.

But Dunne is poor though. Way past it.

still streets ahead of clark and baker when fit though

Correction, streets ahead of Clark and Baker when fit and on form. Unfortunately he's rarely ever on form.

Also agree with KHV, too weak and too slow for centre back, and doesnt read the game well enough to cover these deficiencies.

The defending for the second goal at forest was abysmal - apologies if it wasn't Clark I haven't seen it since but I thought it was him at the time

What I liked about Clark when I first seen him was how composed he was for a youngster. I must admit I don't yet feel he is ready for a full season at CB -tbh I can't wait for Dunne to be FIT.

Correction, streets ahead of Clark and Baker when fit and on form. Unfortunately he's rarely ever on form.

clark and baker especially are very very suspect. id prefer dunne. Infact i would take james collins over clark and baker

clark and baker especially are very very suspect. id prefer dunne. Infact i would take james collins over clark and baker

:lol: And Dunne isn't suspect? To be honest I'd rather have kept Collins over Dunne (although I don't rate either of them).

:lol: And Dunne isn't suspect? To be honest I'd rather have kept Collins over Dunne (although I don't rate either of them).

I think dunne is lesser evil given the choice

can't believe that people are so worried about not having Dunne and Colins, Vlarr and Clark might not be up to speed yet but I'm happy to give them a chance, they need games together and Clark needs a run of games, this could be a big season for him much like it could for Bannan, I think he's got the making of a good CB and PL obviously rates him. Personally think Clarks main problem is all preseason he has had a left back next to him that is not good enough in Stevens and Warnock and has got dragged out of position a lot.

can't believe that people are so worried about not having Dunne and Colins, Vlarr and Clark might not be up to speed yet but I'm happy to give them a chance, they need games together and Clark needs a run of games, this could be a big season for him much like it could for Bannan, I think he's got the making of a good CB and PL obviously rates him. Personally think Clarks main problem is all preseason he has had a left back next to him that is not good enough in Stevens and Warnock and has got dragged out of position a lot.

people are worried because vlaar hasnt played in the prem before and clark isnt particularly great at centre half. throw in the fact our fullbacks are lacking any real quality and this villa defence looks like one of the worst in years.

Obviously you missed the defence last year, yes the defence will make mistakes but it needs time to gel together!

the defence wasnt too bad last year. the main problem last year was that nobody went over yhe half way line so we were forced to defend for 80 of the 90 mins. our goal against column wasnt that bad in the end. the goals for column was pitiful

Did you see the amount of goals we conceded at set-pieces? The problem was the style that McLeish had adopted, to effectively concede possession and sit, PL will try and adopt a different style to keep the ball which means less pressure on the defence. West Ham may batter us with their over physical side, but I honestly believe having Dunne or Collins would not improve us in the slightest.

Have to agree with SikhInTrinity here... We played the long ball game up to darren bent and gabby. No-one would go past the half-way line (as you mentioned KHV ) and he tried to defend with the worst defence i've ever seen as a ST holder. How you can say we didn't have a bad defence, i will never know.

I think Clark is a really promising centre half. I value Lamberts judgement more than fans opinion on this.

Agreed. And I've been hoping for Clark to play as a cd for a long time now. One interesting thing is that these quotes suggests that Lambert doesn't rate Dunne that much. He speaks of a partnership between Vlaar and Clark, don't even mention Dunne. Wonder how Dunne will feel about being the back up defender. Yeah, I know, he's injured atm, but it still sounds like he isn't in the long term plans. Which Lambert obviously don't have. :P

Thanks for the report. Very interesting reading.

people are worried because vlaar hasnt played in the prem before and clark isnt particularly great at centre half. throw in the fact our fullbacks are lacking any real quality and this villa defence looks like one of the worst in years.

Better than last year's at least.

How can you be sure about that?

It seems to be the same as last year but with the untested Vlaar instead of Collins and our reserve team fullbacks instead of our first team ones.

I am very worried about our defence.

I think Clark is a really promising centre half. I value Lamberts judgement more than fans opinion on this.

Agreed. I think he has huge potential. I love the fact he's a ball playing CB too. Reminds me of a young Cahill.

Because they aren't Richard Dunne and James Collins.

Stop and look at our defence though.

It is a real worry for me. The only new addition to last season that looks to have improved things is Vlaar and he could easily be a flop/get injured.

I really really hope there will be some more players arriving to stengthen that area.

It seems to be the same as last year but with the untested Vlaar instead of Collins and our reserve team fullbacks instead of our first team ones.

I am very worried about our defence.

Clark and Vlaar is a much better partnership than Dunne and Collins. I don't care about "PL experience" - it didn't stop both of those two being incredibly shit. Same goes for Hutton and Warnock. I'd be much happier with Lichaj and Lowton in their place.

Not saying the defence isn't on the poor side but it's still better than last season. Lichaj, Clark, Vlaar, Lowton > Warnock, Dunne, Collins, Hutton.

Â