Paul Lambert fan forum

ulstervilla

Not saying the defence isn't on the poor side but it's still better than last season. Lichaj, Clark, Vlaar, Lowton > Warnock, Dunne, Collins, Hutton.

I'm not actually sure I agree with that.

I'm going wait to see how things go in our first few games before making a judgement.

Not saying the defence isn't on the poor side but it's still better than last season. Lichaj, Clark, Vlaar, Lowton > Warnock, Dunne, Collins, Hutton.

I'm going wait to see how things go in our first few games before making a judgement.

Why? Is it because the latter had that all important "PL experience"?

I'm slightly concerned about the lack of experience, but I'm also excited by it.

We were constantly asking for Lichaj/ Clark to be given a shot last year, and a lot of us were asking for Collins/ Warnock/ Hutton/ Dunne to be dropped when they were playing poorly.

Clark will never become the CD we want him to be if he doesn't get a good run of Premier League games under his belt.

Regarding Lowton and Lichaj/ Stevens, the way we're playing will send them high up the pitch so their defensive-inexperience wont be too much of an issue.

The only time I can really see us suffering is when defending set pieces. I don't have many concerns around Lowton, as he can also play in a central role, therefore you would hope he'd be good at cutting out crossed. I think my only issue could be when Lichaj or Stevens are defending a set piece.

I'm looking forward to see how we'll play. I imagine it will be similar to last year, but with a lot more goals scored for us, and it will be a steep learning curve for the back four (which, ultimately, could mean we have a much stronger defence next season).

Vlaar and Clark makes perfect sense to be at central defence in my opinion. Both can actually pass and dribble without hoofing it off the pitch or falling over. Both can make a tackle. Both can head a ball. Youth mixed with experience.

The reason Richard Dunne makes so many last ditch blocks are down to three things.

1) Yes he is prepared to put his body on the line. (Minimum requirement)

2) He is always slightly out of position hence he has to dive in last gasp.

3) He is getting slower and slower and is playing catch up all the time.

I may be wrong, we might concede 6 against West Ham, but remember this is a season of rebuilding. Give the lads time to gel together and I'm sure they will be a class act (hopefully anyway). Of course we could sell all our youth players, they were never good enough to make it were they. I mean, look at Cahill, what ever happen to him????????????

No, it's that I have seen Lichaj have a number of poor games for us and have seen Clark make mistakes whilst learning his trade as well.

Lowton does not fill me with any great confidence, League 1 is a big step up and he is very young but he should be one for the future.

Vlaar is the one I'm most excited by but the Dutch league is much slower than the premiership and he might struggle for a while to get up to speed.

I presume we are waiting to sell Hutton and Warnock before bringing in their replacements so hopefully the defence will be stronger by the end of the window.

Listening to it now, and I'm so far really liking Lambert.

Some comments about experience playing what he called 'men's football' (opposed to academy). I get the impression he puts more worth to a player that has played 100 plus games in the championship of foreign league. Than 20 odd games in the premiership. Also questioning the motivation of loan signings at a club, whether they really care about your club or not.

Listening to it now, and I'm so far really liking Lambert.

Some comments about experience playing what he called 'men's football' (opposed to academy). I get the impression he puts more worth to a player that has played 100 plus games in the championship of foreign league. Than 20 odd games in the premiership. Also questioning the motivation of loan signings at a club, whether they really care about your club or not.

100% agree with that, its often mentioned why someone would put in 100% when there contracts soon up and they know there leaving, i see the same with loanee's unless there young and unproven.

No, it's that I have seen Lichaj have a number of poor games for us and have seen Clark make mistakes whilst learning his trade as well.

Lowton does not fill me with any great confidence, League 1 is a big step up and he is very young but he should be one for the future.

Vlaar is the one I'm most excited by but the Dutch league is much slower than the premiership and he might struggle for a while to get up to speed.

I presume we are waiting to sell Hutton and Warnock before bringing in their replacements so hopefully the defence will be stronger by the end of the window.

I'll have to back Mantis up here:

Personally I believe Lichaj actually did alright for us last season when Warnock wasn't playing ( I think he did better than Warnock did ).

You have to bear in mind Collins and Dunne have had 3/4 years of playing together so have already gelled, Clark and Vlaar have yet to settle and work as a team, it will come within a few matches. In regards to Vlaar's "Lack of Pace" you can't really consider it worse than Dunne's! He also looks so much more confident with the ball at his feet, putting him heads and shoulders above the other hoof ball artists.

And if you can honestly say you would prefer Hutton to Lowton, based on their performances for us, I just cannot agree with you :P

Therefore I believe our defence (although it currently needs tweaking and time to gel) is better than the one we had last year! :)

Â