Stephen Ireland

omariqy

No CI , Albrighton can't create.In the last 12 months has completely lost his confidence/ability.

He has as good a cross on him as anyone, a Beckhamesque ability if you like, but we haven't seen that ability in 12 months.I hope he gets his back, as he comes across as a nice kid.

Ireland is one of our very few creative players. He can make magic happen, he has an amazing vision for a pass. I like him and I hope he stays.

when has ireland ever done magic? a telling pass? ireland has been a piss poor player from day 1, randy signed him px milner..milner on the other hand did magic & amazing vision hence hes sitting with a prem winning medal & ireland smokes some funny pipe in his house!

Ireland's back?

didnt notice

masquerading as a creative midfielder as usual

he isn't helped by the manager however who doesn't appear to be telling his midfielders what their job is,

unless he is telling them to make 5 yard passes in our half and leave the wings exposed in which case they know their job inside out

His 50k wages could be put to better use, get rid.

this is his last year in his contract,free agent..done very little for villa in last 2 seasons,i would get rid & take a offer in jan if anyone came in for him..get tom huddlestone in from spurs.

He is probably our best midfielder. He isn't great by any means but far better than Delph, Westwood, KEA and Bannan.

He definately doesn't do enough to justify his 60/70k a week wages but at the end of the day, if he's fit, he should play. We have a piss poor midfield.

He isn't and never will be a midfielder - His best position has always been as part of a front 3, or behind the two strikers.

Simply has'nt been used correctly since he has been here and not had a regular run in the side.

Luxury player we just cant accomodate - im afraid it's time to cash in if possible.

this is his last year in his contract,free agent..done very little for villa in last 2 seasons,i would get rid & take a offer in jan if anyone came in for him..get tom huddlestone in from spurs.

Yup, let's go down the tried and tested road of signing injury-prone midfielders from Spurs - it cannot fail!

I keep waiting for him to deliver and he keeps on not performing. It is however hard to leave someone out who's on 68k a week and our options are incredibly limited. Not sure why he signed Westwood when we already had KEA & Delph. We really need more ACM options.

I keep waiting for him to deliver and he keeps on not performing. It is however hard to leave someone out who's on 68k a week and our options are incredibly limited. Not sure why he signed Westwood when we already had KEA & Delph. We really need more ACM options.

Why is it hard to leave someone out on those wages?? Players should play on merit. Lambert didn't sign him or give him a contract. He has no allegiance to Ireland. He plays him because he believes he is the best option. He obviously felt we missed him given he rushed him back in after injury.

He was taken off on 67 mins, granted he was poor, but there was about 7 of them in that boat. Lambert may have just felt he was tiring too having not played for 3 weeks. None of us can second guess Lambert at this stage with some of the decisions he has made.

Serious question, would appreciate a non sarcastic remark such as "score goals hes on 68k a week". What do you expect a player to do at the top of the diamond if the other midfielders aren't getting him the ball?

1) Drop deeper? - Two problems here, we then end up with 4 midfielders who wont get out of our own half and secondly, in the unlikely scenario we do actually win one of the 100 balls we hoof forward there's no one there for the knockdown. If you look back in the thread he actually did drop deeper earlier in the season and got slated on here for it.

2) Make himself more available? - On numerous occasions on saturday I saw Bent, Ireland and Gabby in space calling for the ball but Delph and KEA turned backwards and gave it to the full backs/centre backs to bang long. This was pointed out in the live chat (which is a great addition to the site BTW). Attacking players need the ball played forward quickly not our midfielders to slow it down and leave the opposition get back into shape.

The truth is if our manager says he wants to play one type of football but his team are resorting to long ball all game, he should play the players that suit the system. He clearly wasn't unhappy with the style of football in his post match interview so one must question his team selection. Is Bent rubbish because he gets no service. No. Is Ireland rubbish because he's not creating anything because he isn't getting the ball. No. All you can expect from these players is hard work in this situation which is one thing Ireland is never lacking.

Judging by this season, Delph has been better IMO.

And will continue to get better, he's getting his confidence back.

I can accept that point but again, like CI you ignored my questions. Its very easy to come on here and criticize players and question their wages. A manager is paid millions to pick the team. He picks a team and plays a style of football that are completely incompatible with each other and we come on and give out about the players. Doesn't make sense to me.

As an aside I think Ireland could play the role Delph is doing quite easily.Ireland played deeper in more than one game last season and was quite adequate. Sunderland comes to mind immediately. Delph is doing his role well no doubt but at the same time he has KEA helping him do the job of one person. He is getting on the ball a lot but passing it backwards and sideways. Ireland and Bannan could both do this. Delph is probably a better tackler.

Â