General Krulak (No Transfer Questions allowed)

c-krulak

General, can you tell us anymore info on the Richard Fitzgerald situation?

Seconded... Please General I and many others would like to know more, the clubs official statement doesn't lead on anything.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General Krulak here:

4. VillaN.I: Congratulations on getting the tickets to the Newcastle game. Your wife is a real sweetheart!!! Well done to her!! To see what is available on that day you should contact Lee Preece and tell him I asked you to call him. Hopefully he can get you in on a tour. Training on friday will be very limited.

Sorry to be a pain in the ass General but can you please tell me Lee Preece's phone number as I can't find it on the OS. :oops:

Dear General

As you will know our Youth side thumped Ipswich last night 5-0 to get though to the next round of the Youth Cup. Not sure as yet who they will face in the next round, it may be Carlisle or Southend. If it's Carlisle then they have a striker called Stephen Hindmarsh, who scored the winner for Carlisle when they knocked Man Utd's Youth team out in the last round. He's made all the headlines up in Cumbria, & rightly so, he's looked a quality player since he was about 9! He played for Keswick with my lads all through school & all the parents & coaches said he would be a star! I know his family well & he's a nice

lad from Borrowdale near Keswick. He made his debut for Carlisle at age 16 & we all think he's destined for great things!. If we play Carlilse next round in the Youth Cup, please make Tony McAndrew aware, they will have their hands full with him. I'm no talent scout but I do pride myself on the fact that a fair few years ago I saw Villa's youth team win the Midlands Cup beating Notts Forrest youth side on a horrid wintry night at Villa Park & came back to tell a friend Gareth Barry & Darius Vassell, would play for England one day......Maybe Stephen might be worth a scout having a look at otherwise, he may well get snapped up by another club.

Edit: Just found out it's Carlisle, they beat Southend 2-0. The game is at Brunton Park in Carlisle.... so here's one Villa fan who will be there to watch!

General,

Are there any transfer funds available for martin in january? Or are we a bit cash strapped at the moment? I only say this because we have only signed one player worth 1.25m and sold an excellent prospect for 5m. With players like Hutton, Woodgate and Defoe moving around us, it would seem we may not have the cash to compete in the premier league?

Maybe Randy is having second thoughts at aston villa, possibly thinking it was easier to gain success than it actually is? has he therefore stopped our money for transfers then?

Cheers,

UTV!

General,

I know you don't comment on exact transfers etc as it's all up to the manager but I think Villa fans deserve an answer to this question.

Is the lack of strengthening the AVFC squad down to:

a) Lack of funds.

B) Failure to identify available players at the right price

Guest Ricardomeister

General, will you be joining the rest of us in praying that our very good luck with lack of injuries continues? MON, the players, the fans and the board all deserve credit for our current position, but with only 7 points covering 4th to 10th positions we could still end up in mid table mediocrity. Our only hope of getting into Europe is no more serious injuries as we have nobody to come in of sufficient quality, wheraa our competitors do.

The board was quoted when it took over as saying we would be aggressive in the transfer market. Obviously (maybe for good reason) we have not been aggressive so far, so can you please assure us that we will be in the summer? Next season will be even more competitive as Spurs and probably Newcastle will be far better than this season. Thanks

UTV SOTC

General,

I know you don't comment on exact transfers etc as it's all up to the manager but I think Villa fans deserve an answer to this question.

a) Lack of funds.

General,

I too would like your thoughts on John's questions please.

Many thanks

General,

a) Lack of funds.

Or

c) Non of the above.

General,

I kept the faith all the way through the window, that MON would bring in the players to plug those gaps. Although Martin is quite rightly specific in wanting to secure players of suitable quality I can't help but think we missed a beat especially on players such as Jonathan Woodgate and Jermain Defoe. Arguably, these players may not have been in MON's plans before, but when they do become available it should probably have been worth a plump on the risk.

I'm not trying to suggest that Martin has gone about things the wrong way as we just don't know what has happened. I guess General that this is the point I am trying to make. I can understand that the club want to keep things under wraps until something happens but the perceived lack of movement in the market is both frustrating and embarrassing. There are many complaints on this board and the others that we were promised quality but aside from MON's initial dealings last January this has failed to be delivered. The question is, have we been approaching these types of players? Are the club prepared to inform the fans who they want when the negotiations get to a sufficient stage? Being left in the cold makes it look like we are happy as we are and that nothing is being done except the odd flash comment about "working on a few things". I am aware that Randy is a man of integrity, but even if we are informed and things fall through it is better than the perceived inactivity that lingers around us during the transfer periods especially in comparison to everyone else.

Ultimately General, I love everything about this club. I am continuously over-joyed with the action on the pitch and the great vibes that have rocked football off it, but our transfer policy is very weak when compared to those clubs around us and the aggression that they show will and probably has left us lingering. As I stated at the start of this little rant, I have kept the faith General (I was watching SSN until 1am last night in case of that extra something) but I now fear for injuries over our remaining 14 games and hope that the consequences are sufficiently managed if they occur.

UTV, here's to the end of the season and an effective summer window and maybe an official club statement from time to time letting the fans know what is actually happening.... :?

General Krulak here:

1. It is a little after 5:00 am here in the US and I am on this thread...my wife is going to kill me!! I got back from my trip late last evening and I knew I had better get to you all.

2. Randy and I do not know much about the new Derby owners...sorry.

3. Financial "crisis" in the US is not going to have a big impact on Villa...we faced basically the same exchange rate when we purchased the Club and the financial situation in the US has been up and down over the past year. I don't see this issue having an impact.

4. I do not think it would be right for me to comment on Richard Fitzgerald's decision. He is a friend and did a fine job for our Club. Having me speak on a personal issue would not be proper.

5. Lee Preece can be reached by calling the AVFC switchboard and asking for extension 216.

6. We are all VERY proud of our Youth Side. We have some very talented young lads on the Squad and that bodes very well for Villa in the future. I am sure that the Coaches know of the skill of young Mr. Hindmarsh.

7. As I have said many, many, times, I do not have anything to do with Players and the Transfer Window. What I would say is what I have said many, many, times: MON handles tranfers. He is our Manger. He knows what his Squad needs...for the present and the future. He knows what type of player he needs to play within his system and will mesh with the current players in a positive manner. He know how to evaluate players. He knows who is avaialble that fits this profile. He knows he has the support of Randy. He is trusted by Randy. He is trusted by the Board. There is no requirement to "sell before we buy." At the same time, he knows the value of a player and will not pay an exhorbitant amount of money for a player who he does not value at that price. At the same time, it is obvious from the money Randy and MON have already spent that they are not afraid to spend. Randy will support MON.

8. "The Board was quoted as we would be aggressive in the transfer market." I am not sure who the Board Member was that made that statement...since this is strictly a matter between Randy and MON. In many ways, I believe that AVFC has been aggressive in the transfer market...just look at some of the players we have brought into the Club and let go. "Aggressive" is in the eye of the beholder. Again, MON is in charge of players and what may be aggressive to him may not be to a fan.

9. From a personal standpoint, I do not think it would be wise for the Club to indicate the names of players we might be interested in obtaining. The quickest way to drive up a price is to set your sights on a player and announce it to the world.

General,

Thanks for your responses, absolutely no need to be up at that ridiculous hour though!

1. With regards to Richard Fitzgerald, please wish him all the best. I don't think anyone was expecting intricate details as to why he left but if you say its personal reasons then so be it and good luck to him.

2. With regards to the transfer market, I like many are aware that you have no influence on the transfer dealings, but I do feel the club need to review their communications with the fans over the situation especially now with so many fans feeling we haven't achieved anything. Ultimately I'm talking post transfer market, a review of what happened, who we went for, what failed and why. I think it would signal a mark of respect and I believe that the majority of fans are mature enough to accept justified reasoning. I understand the stance on an ultimate silence so not to inflate the market, but in this case, no news is frustrating especially when we are constantly talking about investing and strengthing.

UTV

General,

Can I say that your comment 9 shows you know more about football transfers than many of the users on here. I think people get annoyed because there is this single window to purchase players (as before 2003 - I think it was 2003 - clubs werent held by these windows, could buy right up until March 31, when there would be a window until end of the season) and they believe we should spend everything we have to buy for the sake of buying.

Keep up the good work, some people are never happy.

General I wanted to say congratulations to MON and the Team, Randy yourself and the coachig staff, it's a testament to your hard work that we have 5 players in the England Squad; im very proud to be able to now almost have a choice of a Villa player on the back of my England Shirt; although I think I shall get Barry as Agbonlahor costs soo much in lettering lol

I was glad to see Davies was chosen as he has the pace to cover laursen and brains to allow laursen to go up and win headers that aren't reaching the back line.

re: Transfers im a little underwhelmed but im glad MON bought only a player he wanted and not someone who might have been as contraversial as one player was in the last window, I do however hope that he works as a Pundit on the Euro 2008 tournament this summer, his comments on a previous tournament he worked on were awesome!

couple of questions for you:

Will Villa look to employ a coach to teach flair moves? Billy Wingrove is such a coach (a free styling footballer) and coaches this at Spurs, I wondered if Villa might consider getting in a freestyler, its very useful for ball control and comfort on the ball

What is the Curtis Davies deal? have we agreed a fee with them or not? I fear the price might well go up now he has this call up...