General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

I would say no to Downing. Confidence probably shot to pieces at plop and never really rated him in the first place. Would anyone pay 20m for him now? We did well to get that for him so I'd leave well alone and use the remaining outstanding balance on his transfer to snare Carroll and Adams on loan with an option to buy at the end of the season

The confidence thing is a real issue. I think our whole squad's confidence is shot to pieces after last season's debacle. KEA/Vlaar/Lowton are the ones who arguably are playing with some assurance. Lambert will need every bit of man management he's got to motivate the players again, especially after the start we've had. Might be best not to add another player who's at a low.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can't believe people think berbatov would come to us, he is on 100k pus a week and why would he want to go from man u to a club fighting relegation.

people need to start realising that the likes of kevin doyle and young unproven championship players are where we are at when it comes to signing players

The fact that in the past weeks people have turned their nose up on Defoe and now berbatov just shows how much people are naive to the state of our squad.

Lazy or not, Dimitar Berbatov would be the only (potential) world class player we have had since Dwight Yorke. A serious class above to anything we have currently got.

Agreed but I'd say Martin Laursen was a world class player too.

I would say no to Downing. Confidence probably shot to pieces at plop and never really rated him in the first place. Would anyone pay 20m for him now? We did well to get that for him so I'd leave well alone and use the remaining outstanding balance on his transfer to snare Carroll and Adams on loan with an option to buy at the end of the season

The confidence thing is a real issue. I think our whole squad's confidence is shot to pieces after last season's debacle. KEA/Vlaar/Lowton are the ones who arguably are playing with some assurance. Lambert will need every bit of man management he's got to motivate the players again, especially after the start we've had. Might be best not to add another player who's at a low.

Agree with this though it's a hard envirornment for any new player to come into. Chances are any player we buy domestically will be someone not wanted or playing regularly at their existing clubs unless he is lower league.

Downing has always struck me as mentally weak TBH.

No wonder we said no for Huddlestone.

TOM Huddlestone's proposed move from Tottenham to Stoke City was back in the balance today following concerns over his long-term ankle problem.

The issue was raised during a routine medical at Stoke ahead of a proposed loan move until the end of the season.

Now Stoke and Tottenham are back in talks to see whether a revised deal can be struck for the 27-year-old one-time England international, below.

Stoke would want to protect themselves financially in case Huddlestone broke down during his time at the Britannia Stadium.

The giant midfielder has not played a competitive game since August 28 last year – and required two ankle operations last term before returning to pre-season action this summer.

From here: http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Stoke-City-Concern-Tom-Huddlestone-s-ankle-injury/story-16761435-detail/story.html

The fact that in the past weeks people have turned their nose up on Defoe and now berbatov just shows how much people are naive to the state of our squad.

Lazy or not, Dimitar Berbatov would be the only (potential) world class player we have had since Dwight Yorke. A serious class above to anything we have currently got.

Agreed but I'd say Martin Laursen was a world class player too.

Without getting into a debate about it as the whole 'world class' tem can differentiate between peoples opinions..... I 100% disagree. :D

I just hope we stay away from ALL Liverpool players including Carroll, they will try to get rid of Adam and maybe Henderson and a few others and no doubt will try to offload their deadwood to us I want none of them at Villa Park.

I'd take Henderson at a knock down price. If 18 months ago we knew we'd be signing him this summer for say £8m everyone on this board would have jumped at it. There's a superb player there. Anfield seems to be a toxic environment that's destroying careers.

If 18 months ago we knew we'd be signing him this summer for say £8m everyone on this board would have jumped at it.

Not sure why you think this but I certainly would question why we would spend £8m on Henderson.

We have already shown we can find better players for better price; KEA for £2m or w/e it was much better player than Henderson in my opinion.

In my firm belief i think we need a player/s who can break up play in midfield. Milner/Barry/Petrov/Boateng could do this and to a lesser extent Reo-Coker . What have we got now? Bannan/Nzogbia/Albrington/Ireland. None of them could stop a 14 year old running through the middle.

We need someone with a bit of badness/experience in the middle. Everton kept running through us time after time. Same would have happened at West-Ham if they hadnt been a long ball team. Not looking

forward to Newcastles midfield this weekend. No CB could defend with what stopping power they have in front of them.

Think people are getting carried away with not scoring goals. We have got loads of nice fancy players but no-one to do the donkey work and win the ball for them.

Being realistic we are talking about the likes of O'Hara, Huddlestone on Loan something like that.

If 18 months ago we knew we'd be signing him this summer for say £8m everyone on this board would have jumped at it.

Not sure why you think this but I certainly would question why we would spend £8m on Henderson.

We have already shown we can find better players for better price; KEA for £2m or w/e it was much better player than Henderson in my opinion.

True, I'm sure Lambert has other players around Europe in his sights that are similar to KEA and Vlaar in terms of value. It's just a case of identifying the weak parts of the team (it turns out to be all of it) and finally being given the go-ahead to sign them.

I'd be very happy with Dawson, think he is a top draw defender (as long as he stays clear from long term injury). He was Spurs best defender before he got injured last season and was playing for England. Seems like a good character to have around the dressing room too, a strong character. Captain material, we need more players like that at the club.