General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Owen in today's Guardian -

"A lot of things happen later on in the window when people are refreshing their squads," Owen told BBC Radio 5 Live. "I have been in contact with quite a few teams and it's a case of picking the best which is going to suit me and my family. I've said before I'd prefer that to be in the Premier League and that remains the case. Different things will form the basis of making the right choice: location, the quality of the team, the manager – everything really."

Sounds like us. We could do worse.

Could we ?, worse than an ageing permanently injured Owen ?. Maybe Doyle granted but i can't think of many worse ideas

I could see how a team like Arsenal, or even a Spurs could take the risk on someone like him but not us

In my opinion, we need a few bulky players, our team is the lightest I have ever seen it. A midfield that includes Holman, Bannan, Ireland, N'Zogbia. None of these lads are physical beasts. KAE looks strong and agile but I think we are missing a lot of physical players, even in the back line. Need to buy some men as oppossed to boys!

Why does a target man have to be a non-scoring plank? Plenty of target men over the years have been absurdly dangerous goalscorers.

We basically need a striker who can bring others into the game. Now whether thats your number 10 style man, or a big bloke who can hold it up, that's upto Lambert and what he wants to do. But we definitely need someone a bit different up front and, preferably, someone who pitches in a fair few goals as well.

Berbatov would fit quite nicely. Even if he hasn't got the legs any more, his intelligence and quality would be a great addition to the club a bit like Keane last winter. He could teach a few of the young lads a thing or two as well. The problem is structuring a deal for him. His contract runs out next summer and I guess he would have been banking on earning himself a last lucrative contract somewhere.

I reckon Benayoun on loan would be a good in for us.

benayoun and joe cole on loan. buy in huddlestone, jones,douglas and a LB(not bloody cresswell) 8)

"A lot of things happen later on in the window when people are refreshing their squads," Owen told BBC Radio 5 Live. "I have been in contact with quite a few teams and it's a case of picking the best which is going to suit me and my family. I've said before I'd prefer that to be in the Premier League and that remains the case. Different things will form the basis of making the right choice: location, the quality of the team, the manager – everything really."

Could we ?, worse than an ageing permanently injured Owen ?. Maybe Doyle granted but i can't think of many worse ideas

I could see how a team like Arsenal, or even a Spurs could take the risk on someone like him but not us

It would only make sense on a pay-as-you-play deal. Then there's nothiing for the club to lose and Owen has everything to prove. He will score goals if he plays but Lambert said that 'he wasn't for us' earlier in the summer

Why does a target man have to be a non-scoring plank? Plenty of target men over the years have been absurdly dangerous goalscorers.

We basically need a striker who can bring others into the game. Now whether thats your number 10 style man, or a big bloke who can hold it up, that's upto Lambert and what he wants to do. But we definitely need someone a bit different up front and, preferably, someone who pitches in a fair few goals as well.

Berbatov would fit quite nicely. Even if he hasn't got the legs any more, his intelligence and quality would be a great addition to the club a bit like Keane last winter. He could teach a few of the young lads a thing or two as well. The problem is structuring a deal for him. His contract runs out next summer and I guess he would have been banking on earning himself a last lucrative contract somewhere.

Berbatov would be a great signing if we could afford him.

I think if Lambert is going to persevere with this 4-2-3-1 formation that seems to be so popular in the game, we need a creative striker behind bent.

We need a decent LB and DMC player more.

I don't like the bloke - and as a regular player no - however as a player to have on the bench - and given he might not cost much and our current predicament - I think its a worth a go.

i would be disappointed if if was 1 of our 2 incoming - but as an extra i would be supportive.

Berbatov would be mad to move to us. Granted he'd get games every week but he could move to a lot of leagues and be a superstar. Plus, there's his wage demands, for a club who is trying to cut wages he could prove a huge gamble.

He would be an astounding signing for us, especially if we were able to invest in the midfield as well. He'd **** off a lot of supporters because he really is one of the laziest players around but he'd pitch in goals and is smart enough to improve our attacking intentions tenfold.

Unfortunately, the cost, the wages, the fact he is still a good player and the fact we are absolutely dire, means it isn't happening.

In fact, we can forget anyone considered a name - we aren't in that market. We have to hope and pray that, if Randy is happy to give Lambert some panic money, that Lambert has some relative unknowns in his wishlist he knows will hit the ground the running and make us look dangerous.

EDIT - **** moronic word filter.

Berbatov would be mad to move to us. Granted he'd get games every week but he could move to a lot of leagues and be a superstar. Plus, there's his wage demands, for a club who is trying to cut wages he could prove a huge gamble.

Well Randy has always said that money is available for an exceptional player.

Have I heard correct though that Rooney has just got a long term injury ......would they still sell ?

Berbatov would be a terrible signing. All that money and wages on a guy who is no longer interested in playing football. He is even lazier now than he was two years ago. no thanks

With regard Berbatov, it's obvious that we are lacking in supplying the forwards with decent balls, so I dont think another front man is the immediate option (although we definitely need one), I'd like a box to box midfielder in the Tiote/Essien mould and also a tricky pacey winger who can beat a man, add in a left back a striker and maybe a few more squad players.