General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still cant see us getting defoe..

They are going for a winger/Attacking Midfielder now. Willian/Isco type player.

Isco would be fantastic!!

Sadly think we're out of his league

Sorry I wasn't being clear, I mean't that spurs are going for that type of player, therefore won't be signing another striker.

Sorry I wasn't being clear, I mean't that spurs are going for that type of player, therefore won't be signing another striker.

Aah ok, makes sense especially if the rumours about selling Van Der Vaart is true

Any negativity is just what people think might happen from the facts and evidence they see.

There is no evidence till the window has closed.

What's happened so far is enough for people to form an opinion.

Just like in the match threads, the form of the team and players picked is enough for people to predict what's going to happen.

Only be slightly less disappointed than when we bought Heskey if we get Defoe. Over-rated London media hyped player who I've never liked pitching up in a Villa shirt. MEH.

However, willing to trust PL if that's who he wants.

Aah ok, makes sense especially if the rumours about selling Van Der Vaart is true

Yeah AVB doesn't want VDV anymore..

Big_John_10 wrote:

Any negativity is just what people think might happen from the facts and evidence they see.

This.

The only evidence we actually have is the transfers already completed. Whether you see them as negative or positive is up to you. But it seems to me that the majority of the negativity is coming from the perceived lack of activity.

We may, notice may, have 8 players signed up to be completed in the next 10 minutes. We may be doing absolutely nothing. We may have been turned by every other player we've approached since Vlaar. Not hearing anything is not proof of nothing happening, in fac the truth could be more positive or more negative than anything either side of this debate are coming up with but the only thing we know is that we know very little about what's going on behind the scenes.

There is no evidence till the window has closed.

No it isn't. These are people who forget that by far the busiest week of a summer transfer windows is ALWAYS the final week. So any opinion at this stage is based on paranoia. I don't know why I'm even responding.

Its insane to give up because the transfer deadline is near. The very nature of having a deadline makes selling & buying clubs play it like a poker game.

Its real, very large sums of money we are talking about.

Quote:

To be fair there is enough to form an opinion, the issue is when opinion is banded around as fact. For example it is fair to form the opinion that Lambo prefers cheaper unproven players from lower leagues and abroad based on his purchases to date. However, tomorrow we could sign Defoe or Johnson on big money and prove that to be only partially correct.

People could, and have, form the opinion we're not doing enough in the window based on the dealings thus far, but we could have 5 deals lined up proving it wrong. we could be doing nothing proving it right, and we could be getting turned down by everybody making it worse than anybody thought.

The only thing we do know for sure is that we don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

No it isn't. These are people who forget that by far the busiest week of a summer transfer windows is ALWAYS the final week. So any opinion at this stage is based on paranoia. I don't know why I'm even responding.

Yes you're too good to be dragged into this debate.

Don't respond then.

I don't think anyone is ignoring the fact a lot of business gets done in the final week. But I think the apparent sell to buy policy is enough reason for people to doubt Lambert will bring in the quality we need in certain positions.

I don't think anyone is ignoring the fact a lot of business gets done in the final week. But I think the apparent sell to buy policy is enough reason for people to doubt Lambert will bring in the quality we need in certain positions.

Again no evidence for that either, just a very very biased opinion.

Theres no evidence that we have to sell to buy?

Again, I've said this before but if Lambert only had 6-8m to spend he wouldn't have blown almost half of it on a League 1 full-back so early in the window. We actually did some deals reasonably early in the summer compared to the other clubs largely because Vlaar had a release clause that could be activated immediately and Feyenoord were pretty desperate to sell El Ahmadi because they need money. Other than in those circumstances it is difficult to force other teams to sell players until they themselves are more certain of their own transfer strategy, and that will become clearer towards the end of the August. Managers will become much more keen to offload players for cheaper/on loan or pay over the odds to get a player in. To me there is just no evidence that our shopping is over and the fact that there are no rumours means nothing when the club goes out of its way to do its business in silence. We do need to balance the books as well because we are midway through the recovery from our overindulgence in better times. Lambert seems well aware of that judging by his willingness to let people move on and has come to the club on that premise. I don't think we'll do earth-shattering business like the 40m we spent each summer a few years back but there is still time to add quality.

I honest question, would you support Villa in any other league, or if we were relegated would you support another team in the premier league? Because how you act it screams the latter.

I've had my season ticket for over 10 years and I will continue to do so

I'm just not going to be hypocritical because Randy isn't doug.

You seem to want to drive Lerner out of the club, but who would you expect to replace him ?

We already have a very rich owner, he's already pumped a load of cash into the club, and continues to do so in order that the losses are covered.

The goalposts have been seriously moved in the Premier League since RL took over, nobody could have predicted that. In order for a club such as ours to compete at the very top, it now takes wealth way over what RL has, whereas had MON got things right in the early days the money RL put up would have been sufficient, and our debts would have been covered. I'd say RL is guilty of doing exactly what you want him to do, he gambled, he spent big in order to get us to a level where we could compete, and for a while we were very close indeed, however the gamble ultimately failed, and we are where we are.

Who exactly would you like our club to be sold to ? For every Sheikh Mansour, there's more a chance of us getting a Munto Finance, Gaydemak, Chandrai, Abdullah bin Nasser bin Abdullah Al Ahmed Al Thani, Venkys, Hicks/Gillette etc etc. In running the club responsibly, what is RL doing that effects you so much that even before the transfer window is closed, and even before we've played a single home game you are calling for his head ?

We had a season of pessimism last year, surely we should be happy that RL has appointed a bright young manager in Paul Lambert, and getting behind our team to help them to achieve as high a league position as possible.

I'd like to know what made you support Aston Villa from the start ? The reason for this is that until Randy Lerner came along, we have never in all my years as a fan been massive spenders in the transfer market, RL changed all that, and i believe now fans such as yourself think it's easy for us to keep doing so. It's not !

IMO we will never compete financially with Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd for player purchases, those days have gone a long time ago. If we are to be successful we need a different approach, a more organic approach, and one that is sustainable.

But I think the apparent sell to buy policy is enough reason for people to doubt Lambert will bring in the quality we need in certain positions.

The need for wages to fall within a certain % of income isn't apparent it's absolute, and undoubtedly that is making transfer dealings more difficult.

But people are claiming the club is doing nothing, that Lambert and Lener are doing nothing and using that as a reason to get very negative. If you believe the club is not doing everything possible to sell the players we want sold and buy the players Lmabert want bought that's up to you but I think it's ridiculous.

But do I think Lambert will have the opportunity to sin all of the players he want's in this window? No, I dont, but I'm not about to start blaming him for that or throwing abuse at Lerner. As a club we are where we are, we have the wage budget we have, and dependent on UEFA that's not likely to change regardless of who owns the club. So as a supporter of the club I'm happy to contructively criticise things that are not owrking but would prefer to look for positives than bleat on about perceived negatives.

The way the Vlaar deal stalled until we had a buyer for collins has lead to the sell to buy policy theory.

Personally I would get the replacements in - and then sell Dunne, Warnock , Hutton when the chance arrives.

Personally I would get the replacements in - and then sell Dunne, Warnock , Hutton when the chance arrives.

Would you take out a second mortgage and buy your next house before having an offer on your current one?

Also you're making an assumption as to why the Vlaar deal stalled, could equally be something else, any restriction on transfers is likely to be wage related rather than fee related in my opinion, with any business being dependent on that.