General Transfer speculation thread with guff from Twitter

TrentVilla

yes but have to look at it in another way.. randy backed mon with funds, we took great strides! wembley twice & near got champs league,then the choke chain..i dont think ASTON VILLA can be fixed on the cheap..as i type this a villa hero is kicking his heals at man city.if randy wanted to get jimmy back he could,he could afford his wages & fee. just think of the boost ASTON VILLA would have if we brought jm back! i dont have faith in delph/bannan etc to turn potential into game changing performances. the moral i guess is you dont know you have till its gone.

yes MON was backed and we did took great strides, but not sustainable ones, look at us now, weve been stuck with the shit mon created for the last 2-3 seasons. What MON did was a short time fix and so was the success that he brought, were not in a oligarch possition where its possible to dump millions after millions on players and wages. We need to aim at getting a backbone in our squad, something we can grow and make better over time we simply dont have the economics to fix our whole team in one window or two. We need to buy players with a bit more thought then we did in the MON era, lambert will need maybe 2 years before our squad is in a good possition, good money worth players dont grow on trees.

Having said this i still believe we have atleast another two players coming in this window, and i would be more than happy with a mid table finish aslong as it means we get the team to the possition where we have a solid core to develop further from.

ASTON VILLA had to overpay players to get to play,yes hands up mon made mistakes with signings..hell sir alex had done this..take steve sidwell,we had to overpay him to leave london/chelsea & in the main he was on the bench but he pushed barry & co to perform as mon didnt change the team much,its a no win sometimes..the bench is too thin or overpaid subs. i hate it that ASTON VILLA have made so many average players millionaires, all i know is i was more happy as a fan watching players who change games for the better,its great that pl is weeding out the likes of hutton/warnock/collins etc, i just find it bloody frustrating that milner is wasting away at man city when we need him

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Striker, left back and midfielder please Paul

Though I agree with those sentiments mate, depending on the sort of striker we hopefully purchase, do you not also think a winger is required?

Maybe I'm hoping for to much

Leftback is a huge priority, Baker did alright there yesterday on the defensive side of the game.

That said only 23% of our attack yesterday were started from the Left hand side, compared to 39% on the right so it's clear that a more attacking Left back would help us out in this area and open up our attacking options to be more fluid.

To be fair in regards to Baker being at left back, I think it was more in anticipation of West Ham playing hoofball, so we needed another big boy in to head the ball away. Although I would fully expect us to get in an attacking LB to give us more balance in attack.

The Moose generally posts utter shit so i'd take it with a huge dollop of salt.

That said ...

I'm not a big fan of Carroll (we've had that discussion in numerous threads) but if we could get him on loan for a season and have a buy clause 'should' he come good then why not

But signing him and not buying a winger before the window shuts would be about as useful as buying a new telly but having your electric cut off

It would also mean that any transfer fee agreed on Carroll would be deferred until the end of the season and leave more funds available for what we need now which everyone has quoted.

Still think Johnson and Dempsey are achieveable targets if we can show the right ambition. Surely Johnson would choose us over blunderland and the way Jol feels about plop he would love to sell Dempsey to anyone but Liverpool.

Carroll is a donkey and something of a joke when you think about his cumulative transfer fees already. He has only had one half a good season in top flight football.

Also, as some of the more astute on here have already pointed out, who is going to cross to him? Carroll's only and I mean only asset is his 'ability' in the air, that is instantly removed if you don't have the player to chip it onto his bloody head.

Carroll is a donkey and something of a joke when you think about his cumulative transfer fees already. He has only had one half a good season in top flight football.

Also, as some of the more astute on here have already pointed out, who is going to cross to him? Carroll's only and I mean only asset is his 'ability' in the air, that is instantly removed if you don't have the player to chip it onto his bloody head.

Cumulative transfer fees? You mean £35m from the 1 transfer he has had in his career so far?

A fee that was dictated by the Torres valuation during silly season 18 months ago.

Huge YES to Carroll from me as long as it is supported with the signings of an attack minded LB and another winger that can deliver good crosses and create chances.

Yes that's the one lol.

£35m for a limited player is indeed an absolute joke, dictated by Torres or not, no one had a gun to King Kenny's head, it really has worked well for them hasn't it.

Bringing in Carroll would require us to sign at least one winger in order to get anything out of him. So we'd have to essentially build a squad around a loan signing, nice and sustainable that isn't it?

Striker, left back and midfielder please Paul

Though I agree with those sentiments mate, depending on the sort of striker we hopefully purchase, do you not also think a winger is required?

Maybe I'm hoping for to much

Depends if the midfielder is philips

] ASTON VILLA had to overpay players to get to play,yes hands up mon made mistakes with signings..hell sir alex had done this..take steve sidwell,we had to overpay him to leave london/chelsea & in the main he was on the bench but he pushed barry & co to perform as mon didnt change the team much,its a no win sometimes..the bench is too thin or overpaid subs. i hate it that ASTON VILLA have made so many average players millionaires, all i know is i was more happy as a fan watching players who change games for the better,its great that pl is weeding out the likes of hutton/warnock/collins etc, i just find it bloody frustrating that milner is wasting away at man city when we need him

yeah, the difference beeing when sir alex overpays for someone he still have the likes of giggs and scholes to fall back on, while we have a bunch of unexperienced overrated youngsters. When we are in that possition then we can start taking more of a gamble on transfers.

Hehe i dont think anyone on this forum us completely happy with villas transfer dealings, we are all here because we love our club, but we all have different opinions on how to make our future better, but it all stems from our villa spirit :) i would love to see milner back here too, but at the moment we cant offer him the level of footie that he wants nor can we match the wages hes getting... same with carrol for example.. anyone that thinks he will come here on 50k a week is in some lullaby land were money is worth twice as much as it is in reality.

I have full faith that lamber will get us where we want to be, but we have to be a bit patient, even if it is really really REALLY hard hehe..

If there was a buy option, what would be considered a fair price for a player like Carroll? Given his Liverpool performances I'd say around £5-8 million give his rate of around 1 in 5 in all competition. Would they really take such a massive hit? Actually more likely they'll play the 'potential' card and set a much higher price in the hope that a couple of marks out there will take the plunge.

would be pretty happy with Andy Carroll tbh.... he is a good player and would do well for us! All we would need then is a winger... Matt Philips and a left back.... Joe Bennett? Aaron Cresswell... and we are far far better off... maybe add a DM destroyer and we would be in brilliant shape but methinks the DM might wait for Jan!

If there was a buy option, what would be considered a fair price for a player like Carroll? Given his Liverpool performances I'd say around £5-8 million give his rate of around 1 in 5 in all competition. Would they really take such a massive hit? Actually more likely they'll play the 'potential' card and set a much higher price in the hope that a couple of marks out there will take the plunge.

Wolves have set a price of 15m for Fletcher and if rumours are correct received a bid from Sunderland in excess of 11m so a young England forward would command a tad more than the 5-8m you have quoted.

I'd also suspect that a team set up to play to Carroll's strengths would see the Carroll of Newcastle and if that was us, then getting Carroll for a fee of 10m plus the revenue left on the Downing deal would certainly be a coup.

In all honesty, Andy Carroll is exactly the player we were crying out for yesterday. An unsettling presence who could hold the ball to allow midfielders to get further forward.

Agreed and just imagine what the result would have been yesterday if Carroll had gone to spam? :shock:

Just putting it out there. Would it be acceptable if we had to sacrifice Gabby to get Carroll and Johnson in?

Gabby hasn't offered us all that much in the last few seasons so I wouldn't really miss him, so yeah I'd be up for sacrificing Gabby to get those two in.