Are we overachieving?

villa89

Are We Over Achieving?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Are We Over Achieving?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

A simple question really, with 9 games played we have 15 points from a possible 27. We sit in seventh place in the league and look to be heading out of the league cup in the fourth round. We have scored 11 goals and conceded 6. Ignoring the fact that we are unbeatable :wink: (our unbeaten record is a surprise to us all its fair to say).

Are we overachieving or are we exectly where you expected us to be at this stage of the season? Or do some of you think we are underachieving?

Please avoid the "Well I expected DOL to get us relegated so we are overachieving" comments this is a thread to get an idea of your expectations for when we were 9/10 games into the season just before the season started .

Feel free to add a poll mod's, if necessary.

No we're not overachieving. We underachieved with O'Leary in charge. We should be in the top 7-8 with the squad we've got, and O'Neil is delivering at least that.

Just about agree.

Of course we are over achieving, we have a very small squad of ( apart from one or two) very average players. Not much has changed in the squad department from last year, but I am delighted we are over achieving! :lol:

No we're not overachieving. We underachieved with O'Leary in charge. We should be in the top 7-8 with the squad we've got, and O'Neil is delivering at least that.

Almost agree with that, although with the squad numbers we have and had last season, I didn't expect more than mid table (12th to 10th ish). So on that basis we are slightly above where I would have expected us to be at this time of the year, especially having played Chelsea and Arsenal away already!

So I would say we are overchieving, just doing better than I hoped at this stage in the season.

Ask me again at the end of the year! Its likely I will have a completely different answer :winkold:

We are not over-achieving. We are achieving what we are capable of. Just because we're doing better than last season doesn't mean we're over-achieving. It just means last season they did crap. Ostensibly this is the same team that just missed out on Europe in summer '04.

Well, the term "over-achieving" is subjective obviously, in its literal sense how can you over achieve? But IMO this squad, based on my opinion of their abilities, will finish the season closer to their position last year, than where they are now.

Ostensibly this is the same team that just missed out on Europe in summer '04.

Is it?

Of the top of my head only Tommy,Olly,McCann,Barry,Angel were around then.

Now we have Baros,Gabby,Luke,Petrov,Ridge,Bouma,Hughes.

Wondered this when does it become the same team? With a few here or there or the whole team the same.

Spose there is no rule, oh i dunno :?

I don't agree with this.

Our starting eleven could easily deliver top 7-8 (even top 6).

But our squad isn't good enough for 7-8.

We've now got Liverpool (A), Blackburn (H) and Everton (A). Taking into account our current injury problems, lack of decent cover and poor finishing, I only see another three points from those games.

If that happened, that would be ten points from nine games, which, and this isn't a criticism of anyone, isn't very good. However, it would leave us about twelth after 12 games - and I'd be happy with that.

I'm willing to take what we can until January (or the summer even) and then let MON bring his own players in - then we can see what he can do with HIS team.

IMO our strongest, starting eleven were doing about right.

However now we'll probably slip down the PL a little (due to our injuries etc) and I think this will be an accurate reflection of our squad strength.

Of the top of my head only Tommy,Olly,McCann,Barry,Angel were around then.

Now we have Baros,Gabby,Luke,Petrov,Ridge,Bouma,Hughes.

Well Baros has hardly played. Bouma hasn't played at all. So those 2 don't count in this season's 1st 11.

The season we finished 6th our most common first 11 was Sorensen, Delaney, Johnson, Mellberg, Samuel, Barry, Hendrie, Hitzlsperger, McCann, Angel, Vassell

Ridgewell had 11 appearances that year & Whittingham played most games in some capacity.

Of those we still have 8 of them and we would still have 5 in the first team. Still not sure how/where/if Delaney will figure instead of Hughes either.

Also, if anything, Petrov, Baros & Bouma are better than Hitzlsperger, Vassell & Samuel so if anything we should be capable of more than what that team got ergo we're not over-achieving.

I don't know. I mean, drawing away to Chelsea and Arsenal IMO is overachieving. Drawing at home to Fulham is not. And some results are pretty much what we could expect for. Still, 7th could be considered overachieving. Unbeaten is. So, I'm pretty much on the fence. Let's just say we've been doing pretty good so far this season. I'll tell you come may what I really think. ;)

We are not over-achieving. We are achieving what we are capable of. Just because we're doing better than last season doesn't mean we're over-achieving. It just means last season they did crap. Ostensibly this is the same team that just missed out on Europe in summer '04.

AGree with everything apart from the last sentence

theres a good viewpoint for both sides of the discussion...

if we are looking at it simply, then yes, we are over achieving... we finished 16th last term and were piss poor... we are now looking like a top ten team...

more in depth, it could be views that we vastly under achieved last year... which in a way is true, however, the damage done to the squad over the past few years, means that while our first team, is definately good enough for top ten, the squad, in my opinion, isnt..

so in this respect, we are over achieving...

personally, i dont care... if we get a top ten finish, then brilliant... any higher than that, that will be amazing...

next year, the true rebuilding can start, and we should see further progression..

and that my friends, is all i am asking for...

I don't know. Purely because perhaps we did overacheive at place like Chelsea and Arsenal. But perhaps we underacheived playing Fulham, watford and West Ham (because we should have won). If you put it down to results I would say no because we are a good enough team with good enough players to be where we are.

AGree with everything apart from the last sentence

Trickie.

I'm a tad confused.

If you don't think we're overachieveing at the moment, then surely this is quite a similar view to TRL who thinks we are performing "as expected" or that that things have been "average"?

Personally, for a manager who had but a few days in charge before the season started, and who has been able to purchase only 1 player, I think he's excelling.

To be undefeated and 7th at this stage is mouch more than I for one expected, so on that basis i'd call it overachieving.

The team have exceeded my expectations so far this season, but I had prepared myself for the worse during the summer and my brain is only just catching up with events.

I agree with the comment that the next 3 games will really tell us a lot. All tough, but if we can get 6 points or more then we'll be flying and certainly over-achieving. On the flip side, if we end up with 0 we'll probably be back in the bottom half of the table, although still well clear of the bottom 3. I'd have accepted that back in August, but i know I'll be disappointed now if that does happen

Of course we are over achieving, we have a very small squad of ( apart from one or two) very average players. Not much has changed in the squad department from last year, but I am delighted we are over achieving! :lol:

I disagree and I still think there is more to come - what we all have to remember is that in the summer of 2005 almost everyone agreed that our squad was stronger and that we could challenge for a spot in europe, then DOL tottaly lost it and we almost went down.

I disagree and I still think there is more to come - what we all have to remember is that in the summer of 2005 almost everyone agreed that our squad was stronger and that we could challenge for a spot in europe]/b], then DOL tottaly lost it and we almost went down.

Er no, I certainly don't remember that

Â