FIFA Confederations Cup 2013

hogso

its actually very beneficial as gives the World Cup hosts a chance to rectify any mistakes a year before the tournament. Its a  trial tournament

Yeah so pointless with no intrinsic value, basically a collection of friendlies with a tin pot to lift at the end for the one that wins the most games.

• Like 1

not really as  if transport difficulties between venues then its best to know now at a small tournament than when all the world is in Brazil.

Plus gives a team like Tahiti a chance to play some big teams when they probably will never qualify for World Cup

In terms of value it is not important, but I remember from watching futbol mundial on sky sports, that South Africa learnt a lot from the confederations cup and as a result the world cup the following year was better from a logistical from point of view,

I often see the argument that the old European Cup format was superior to the Champions League because everybody who was in it had won something in order to qualify.

I wonder how many of those people use that reasoning to argue that the Confederations Cup is superior to the World Cup?

Is there a more pointless competition in football than the Confed. cup?

The club equivilalent is far worse in my opinion. At least the Confed is played in the summer when most leagues aren't in play. The Club World Cup is meaningless and causes trouble with fixtures.

I often see the argument that the old European Cup format was superior to the Champions League because everybody who was in it had won something in order to qualify.

I wonder how many of those people use that reasoning to argue that the Confederations Cup is superior to the World Cup?

The difference is that the European Cup has always had meaning and prestige whereas the Confed. Cup hasn't.

Is there a more pointless competition in football than the Confed. cup?

The club equivilalent is far worse in my opinion. At least the Confed is played in the summer when most leagues aren't in play. The Club World Cup is meaningless and causes trouble with fixtures.

Well to be fair I think the Club World Cup has more worth than the Confed. Cup, so I wouldn't call it the club equivalent. Although I would agree that it's pretty meaningless and is abysmally organised.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

What did Italy and Brazil win to qualify this year. ;)

• Like 1

What did Italy and Brazil win to qualify this year. ;)

tbf Brazil won the right to host World Cup 2014, and Italy won a European Championship semi-final ^_^

• 3 months later...

In all the years I have been into football, I have never watched/followed the Confederations Cup. I don't think I will start now either.  Well I watched a game in the Umbro Cup in 95, but I guess thats slightly different.

Â