FIFA Confederations Cup 2013

hogso

Although I think Tahiti will lose all 3 games, I don't think it will be huge thrashings like Saudi Arabia received in 2002, or Greece in 94. I think a minus 6 goal difference by the end.

Am I correct in thinking that Tahiti is actually a part of France? 

Yes. Literally took me 5 seconds to find that out. 

Also found out that all of Tahiti's players except for one plays in their nation's league. It honestly seems like every player from the team Dragon is in the squad. 

Tahiti are 20/1 to beat NIgeria and 500/1 to win the group. this could get nasty

they do have Mahama Vahirua who was a decent player in French league for about 10 years played for Nantes

Am I correct in thinking that Tahiti is actually a part of France?

The rule for overseas departments of France is that they're not actually members of FIFA, but can join continental federations; in theory any French footballer can play for an overseas department, but the continental federations can make rules concerning eligibility (CONCACAF's rule involves parental lineage and bars players who have been capped within the past 5 years for France from playing for an overseas department (being capped for an overseas department does not affect eligibility for being capped by the French)... if Martinique or Guadeloupe qualify for the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup, I would not be surprised to see Henry enticed by sponsors to play). It would be interesting to see what would happen if a non-FIFA member qualified for the Confederations Cup (even moreso if Guadeloupe were drawn against France...).

Of course, Tahiti is not an overseas department but an overseas collectivity and an overseas country, which is apparently a level of independence sufficient to allow FIFA to grant membership (though none of the others with that designation are members of FIFA). So a Tahiti cap disqualifies you from a French cap and vice versa.

Pirlo is still an absolute joy to watch isn't he ? No rushing about, just a proper footballer who can pick a pass with his eyes closed

The Italian Paul Scholes.   It's just a shame we didn't know how to use the English Paul Scholes properly. :( 

Are Spain the most boring international team in history?

Yes, you can't knock the quality they have in possession but It does stifle the life out of you. I think they will only score 4 or 5 past Tahiti as they will just pass it around all game. Has soldado even touched the ball?

Edited by mikeyp102

Pirlo is still an absolute joy to watch isn't he ? No rushing about, just a proper footballer who can pick a pass with his eyes closed

The Italian Paul Scholes.   It's just a shame we didn't know how to use the English Paul Scholes properly. :(

It's ironic how the FA brought in this sophisticated foreign manager who actually squandered our talented players like Scholes.

The English obsession with "box to box" midfielders did for Scholes.  We would have had a far better team if Steven Gerrard had never existed. He is a brilliant individual talent, but I think he disrupts and unbalances a team far too much. 

Â