SPECULATION: John Ruddy (Norwich)

Villan4Life

mirror

Norwich boss Chris Hughton is in the bidding for England keeper Jack Butland which cracks open the door for Paul Lambert to nab John Ruddy, writes Alan Nixon.

New Canaries chief Hughton has gone back to his previous club Birmingham and made a firm inquiry for Butland, who has never played for Blues but is with Roy Hodgson’s Euro 2012 squad.

Hughton is willing to pay up to £4million for the keeper, who he sent out on loan to League Two side Cheltenham in his year at St Andrew's.

The Norwich boss wants to beat Premier League new boys Southampton to Butland.

Saints have made an improved offer, but are still short of ­meeting Birmingham’s valuation.

If Hughton lands Butland that may let his predecessor, Aston Villa boss Lambert, buy Ruddy.

At the risk of getting Wiz all worked up again, I'm surprised Norwich have £4m to spend on a new goalie when they have a perfectly decent one in Ruddy, who was of course ranked ahead of Butland for the Euro2012 England squad.

To be honest I dont really want us ending up with Norwich players, we are Aston Villa FFS!
Absolutely ridiculous. Let's turn our noses up at good players that would improve us just because they play for a particular club.

Ruddy is a top player who would improve us greatly

EDITOR: Hey Nixon we're going to press in 10 minutes! Where's my transfer rumours?!

NIXON: Well chief I've been struggling to find anything of note....

EDITOR: Ruddy hell Nixon! Hurry up and make something up would ya! The wifes cooking up some Lamb but it's going cold thanks to your incompetence!

Nixon: Yes chief!

Whether rightly or wrongly, I think Lambert will be looking at keepers now having had a close look at Given in the Euros and probably not liking what he saw.

To be honest I dont really want us ending up with Norwich players, we are Aston Villa FFS!

I think the minimum we will get away with is 2-3 Norwich players

MON did the same with his Celtic babies

Just remember this is phase 1 of 4

Phases 2-4 will see better players come aboard

this is shocking journalism. Norwich are going to get rid of their keeper and pay 4 million for a plyer playing in League 2 last season and make him automatic 1st choice

The clue's in the words IF and MAY, or 2+2=1078.