Euro 2012: Group C (Spn, Ita, Irl, Cro)

TrentVilla

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we are unbeaten in 13 and in that had a 7 or 8 games streak without conceding which included a trip to Moscow and friendlies vs Croatia and Italy (Italy game was actually our B team)

4 points should, with a bit of luck, take us through. We're well able to get results out of Croatia & Italy, Spain less so.

I'd tend to agree with posters who are negative about Irelands chance's. On paper we've the weakest team in the group, but you never know what'll happen when Ireland are at the party....

This is the worst team Ireland have sent to a tournament. Teams in 94, 2002 were better.
If the team was good enough to get to a finals then that means it's better than most Ireland teams of the past. If it's the worst Ireland team ever sent to a finals then it's the 5th best Ireland team ever.

I'm not negative about IReland's chances. And I desperately want them to do well (being a half Irishman myself!)

I think they have a chance, but no-one can deny it's an outside chance with Italy and Spain in the group. But I'm the guy betting on Spain not to get through the group and if that happens, my money would be on it being Ireland who take their place.

It's not "likely" but I certainly see it as a possibility.

We're definitely an outsider. Of course. But we're cautiously optimistic that we're a dangerous opponent. We could easily end up with zero points. We know that. But everyone knows Italy are renowned for fannying around in the group stages. If we can get a result against Croatia and then Italy do their usual, there's a chance. I'm just assuming Spain win their 3 and the rest play for the scraps. Trap being Italian might be another tiny advantage for us in that match. Basically it could go any which way and we're more than aware that it could go tits up. But we'll have a ball regardless. :cheers:

Completely, yes. And for them too. It's almost like putting the decider as your first game. If someone gets 3 points from that game, there's massive pressure on Italy from the start.

This is the worst team Ireland have sent to a tournament. Teams in 94, 2002 were better.
If the team was good enough to get to a finals then that means it's better than most Ireland teams of the past. If it's the worst Ireland team ever sent to a finals then it's the 5th best Ireland team ever.

Correct. I am pleased Ireland have qualified as stated many times. But I had a look over the players and there is a lack of quality. The few good players they have are past the peak like Keane, Duff, Dunne, Given and a few others. Players like Doyle and Hunt have made it in after terrible seasons. A few players havent even got clubs.

Compare that to the USA 94 team with world class players like Mcgrath, Keane and Townsend. And many other good players. It is just my opnion but the 2002, 1994, 1990 teams were better.

I dont know much about the 88 team so cant judge them. But good luck to ROI, with a population of only 4 million they have done well.

One thing I think we all agree on, that Croatia game is absolutely crucial!

Is that you Shearer?

Nah, if I was Shearer I'd have said something like

"One thing I think we all agree on, that Croatia game is against Croatia. And it's on Sunday. That will be a game between Ireland and Croatia. On Sunday.

Newcastle."

Compare that to the USA 94 team with world class players like Mcgrath, Keane and Townsend. And many other good players. It is just my opnion but the 2002, 1994, 1990 teams were better.

Townsend wasnt world class and Keane was still a youngster and 4 or 5 years from his peak. 2002 wasnt a great squad on paper we had 1 top player who didnt go, some solid professionals like Kinsella, Kilbane, Cunningham and a lot of young talent like Duff, Keane and Given who was young for a keeper

Yeah I was going to say. The 94 team was good, but calling Townsend World Class is pushing it!

Also, did Keane even feature much in that World Cup? Wasn't it a Houghton Townsend midfield?

Genuine question, I can't really remember

"One thing I think we all agree on, that Croatia game is against Croatia. And it's on Sunday. That will be a game between Ireland and Croatia. On Sunday.

Newcastle."

:lol:

Yeah I was going to say. The 94 team was good, but calling Townsend World Class is pushing it!

Also, did Keane even feature much in that World Cup? Wasn't it a Houghton Townsend midfield?

Genuine question, I can't really remember

we played 4-5-1 in America was Keane, Sheridan, Houghton and Townsend, think McAteer was other player.

long time ago but if i remember he was MOTM vs Norway in an awful game

Ah ok. Was my first international tournament that I properly remember (I was only 8) so don't remember it that well. I was more focused on the 4 Villa players in that team.

Â