All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

Ex-Pope reckons God sleeps on job.

Yeah, it's not that he doesn't exist or anything so far-fetched. If you pray for something and it happens, god's awake. If you pray for something and it doesn't happen he's asleep. Simple, really.

Or he may be on his lunch break. Or in the loo. It's a bummer when he goes on holiday and you get that Out of Office email. 

Why can't he just delegate? He must have plenty of staff. 

So, following O'Brien's resignation, we hear rumours that the Pope's resignation is connected with unease about his relationship with Georg Gaenswein.  Here, but it surfaced a while ago in a superb article by Colm Toibin.

It's fascinating, but incredibly sad, that this church should be so determined to repress sexuality and sexual orientation, even at the cost of so much personal heartache and cruelty to others.

It's fascinating, but incredibly sad, that this church should be so determined to repress sexuality and sexual orientation, even at the cost of so much personal heartache and cruelty to others.

Especially when you consider that Jesus was well Gay.

Edited by Brumerican

All those disciples to hand, and not a woman amonsgt them ....

All those disciples to hand, and not a woman amonsgt them ....

Tops off , ripped abs and all that feet washing etc .  

Totally gay to the max yet the church go out of their way to make homosexuality seem anti-christian.

So, following O'Brien's resignation, we hear rumours that the Pope's resignation is connected with unease about his relationship with Georg Gaenswein. Here, but it surfaced a while ago in a superb article by Colm Toibin.

...unless your sexual orientation is towards children.

So, following O'Brien's resignation, we hear rumours that the Pope's resignation is connected with unease about his relationship with Georg Gaenswein. Here, but it surfaced a while ago in a superb article by Colm Toibin.

Maybe they don't start out that way. Maybe because they force themselves to be celibate, by the time their rocks have swollen to the size of watermelons they are clueless as to what to do about it, and end up identifying with people who are as innocent as they are. Just a theory.

Well they cover it up, but that doesn't mean they are less repressive about that form of sexuality.  As the cleric said in the Toibin article I linked, sexual exploitation of children goes on throughout society, and is covered up as far as possible.

It may be that repressed sexuality comes out more in situations where power relations can allow it to be expressed but the victim silenced.  I mean in situations where the person has to maintain an image of being sexually abstinent, rather than repression caused by guilt, confusion or whatever.  In that sense, a doctrine of celibacy might be connected with a greater incidence of child abuse.  But that's different from an institution being more tolerant of child abuse than other forms of sexuality.

Can something that never existed be well Gay?

Can something that never existed be well Gay?
i thought it was generally accepted that jesus did exist? (even though he was just a normal bloke) Edited by Jon

i thought it was generally accepted that jesus did exist? (even though he was just a normal bloke)

I challenge you to find a single contemporary reference to him existing. Or to save your time, take my word for it that there isn't one.

I believe he existed. There are "messiahs" and "prophets" born all the time. Some attract dozens of followers, some hundreds, etc. Doesn't make any one of them more holy than another.

I don't have faith. I believe in things which can be proven. For everything he is supposed to have done and the large number of contemporary commentators, there isn't a single reference. Mainly because the stories weren't invented (well, "re-imagined" from earlier stories) until a couple of generations later.

You'll get Josephus and Tacitus thrown at you when you get into this debate and they made passing references to him some 60+ years after he supposedly died. Nowt contemporary.

Same goes for Muhammad, while we're at it.

Billions of followers with nothing more than writings scrawled down after years of oral tradition. Hardly justifies the thousands of years of bloodshed and oppression that followed.

Â