All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I know of several people that have an higher power and pray everyday to their higher power. They are adamant it works and sets them up perfectly for the day. Psychological? Possibly, but having a god in their life works wonders for them..

I think it's called the placebo effect. But whatever, good for them. It's fine.

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

We were specifically discussing whether god could do something about fossil fuels

You clearly didn’t get the creation memo :D

Runs away to be morally and intellectually superior, cos it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We were specifically discussing whether god could do something about fossil fuels, that prayers might help. I suggest atheists might want to wish hard, rather wishing others could do something. 

I don’t have a problem with atheists, just the ones that feel a bit morally or intellectually superior. 

Atheists wishes and hand wringing don’t appear to be working much better than prayers in stopping all kinds of horrors, if we’re broadening this out to a general pop at the religious and the non religious. There’s space for everyone to not actually do much to change the things they wish would change.

It’s like we all have free will, the quick and the slow, but we use it to watch the telly and hope others do soemthing.

You might have been. I saw your post as discussing a bit more than that. You mentioned god giving people free will to not buy the Torygraph and how atheists are lazy and so on. Truth is there lazy people and there’s people who do stuff and it’s got eff all to do with invisible sky fairies.

Im not sure either that there’s such a thing as free will. We’re just meat robots. 

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

You mentioned god giving people free will to not buy the Torygraph

The interesting thing is the Bible is silent on free will. Lot's about being able to choose, but nada of free will. Apologists have to assert that god gives us free will, otherwise, the current interpretation of the New Testament makes absolutely no sense.

Also, there is some evidence that Jesus (should he have existed) was an Essene, which is a Jewish sect that interpreted the Bible deterministically.

3 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Apologists have to assert that god gives us free will, otherwise, the current interpretation of the New Testament makes absolutely no sense

A sorry state of affairs, then.

3 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Also, there is some evidence that Jesus (should he have existed) was an Essene, which is a Jewish sect that interpreted the Bible deterministically

Being as there is zero evidence that Jesus existed, how can there be evidence that he was a member of a particular sub-cult of Judaism?

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Atheists wishes are literally and by definition wishful thinking and have never been known to work better than prayers.

VT Awards false equivalence of the year award goes to…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I know of several people that have an higher power and pray everyday to their higher power. They are adamant it works and sets them up perfectly for the day. Psychological? Possibly, but having a god in their life works wonders for them . I’m not necessarily on about the god in the bible here, but just an higher power. Funnily enough I’ve just started reading The Catechism of the Catholic Church .

The kingdom of heaven is within.

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Being as there is zero evidence that Jesus existed, how can there be evidence that he was a member of a particular sub-cult of Judaism?

This does seem to be a minority view amongst historians. But it does fit my tribe's narrative.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

The kingdom of heaven is within.

And all around us if one bothers with Bible stuff.

12 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I know of several people that have an higher power and pray everyday to their higher power. They are adamant it works and sets them up perfectly for the day. Psychological? Possibly, but having a god in their life works wonders for them . I’m not necessarily on about the god in the bible here, but just an higher power. Funnily enough I’ve just started reading The Catechism of the Catholic Church .

They believe they have a higher power. 

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

You believe they don’t ?

Well their higher power unless provable is just a belief in a higher power, or that they believe they have a higher power. Thats completely fine but just a belief. 

Â