All-Purpose Religion Thread

mjmooney

Just had JWs at the door.

Expecting something from Amazon, so leapt out the bath and grabbed the nearest towel (a hand towel). Answered the door dripping and mostly nekkid.

One made a most interesting wailing noise.

They may still both be running.

EXACTLY the same thing happened to me last weekend.

"Oh, is this not a good time?"

"It's never a good time for you lot" (slam)

If the little Mars thing finds evidence there was life there would that be the push that finally gets people to realize there is no God type person ?

Just a thought really, I doubt it but it could help a lot of people to re think their mistake ? It will blow the "Earth is special" thing out the water for a start (On the 10th day I placed some small organisms randomly around the universe to test faith, I can see it now :-) )

If the little Mars thing finds evidence there was life there would that be the push that finally gets people to realize there is no God type person ?

Just a thought really, I doubt it but it could help a lot of people to re think their mistake ? It will blow the "Earth is special" thing out the water for a start (On the 10th day I placed some small organisms randomly around the universe to test faith, I can see it now :-) )

Of course not.

The fundies would use the latter argument (or just deny it ever happened), the non-literalists would claim that God has spread life throughout the universe, which just goes to show how groovy he his.

Of course not. Everything that goes towards disproving God is deemed to be Him just testing your faith. If there is evidence of life on Mars then it will just be seen as having been placed there to test you. It's mind-numbing stupidity but there you go. That's what you're up against.

Of course not.

The fundies would use the latter argument (or just deny it ever happened), the non-literalists would claim that God has spread life throughout the universe, which just goes to show how groovy he his.

Busy bloke then ain't he what with giving AIDS to little kids in Africa and arranging the Batman Cinema thing....phew one wonders if this guy is for real at all. (Don't forget he is everywhere :D)

I think the Catholic church probably needs to follow the example of the tobacco industry - abandon its traditional customer base and target vunerable third world markets.

That just maybe the funniest post I've read on VT :lol:

I think the Catholic church probably needs to follow the example of the tobacco industry - abandon its traditional customer base and target vunerable third world markets.

They are not exactly money rich there so I suspect its a no go until they have money. In famine affected areas the Holy Communion could be looked on as a bit of a piss take to be fair.

Got bread ?

In famine affected areas the Holy Communion could be looked on as a bit of a piss take to be fair.

Why? If there's food, clean water and power, humans would do anything, it's arguably an evolutionarily advantageous trait.

Give them the means to meet their basic needs and the poor will no doubt flock to the Church (they will no doubt mix in some native beliefs into the religion though)

Meanwhile, a spokesman for the Catholic Communications Office said faith was not a "numbers game".

And it said the latest survey contrasted sharply with last year's census in the Republic, which found that 84% described themselves as Catholic, and just 5% said they had no religion.

Sweden.

Officially majority Christian. In reality...

The Curiosity rover could shoot HD footage of Martians running around and, as far as a large swathe of humanity would be concerned, the god(s) in their holy books would still be in existance. Mike is bang on that some would either outright reject it or spend 20 seconds rifling through the internet (or their holy books if we're 'lucky') to find the line that proves it's all part of god's plan. And the wishy washy go with the flow types will just accept it and carry on believing the same old shit.

Because these people are mad.

Alain de Botton recently did a book suggesting that atheists need some sort of church-substitute to give them a sense of community. I believe he's a lapsed Jew, and like lots of other ex-godbotherers he misses the rituals.

Personally, I couldn't disagree more. Ghastly idea.

Â