General Next Manager Topic?? (everything other than Lambert)

donnie

And so it starts again; as soon as the one thing we Villa fans could agree on actually happens, we start to hugely disagree on the replacement of AM. Do not get me wrong, discussions is what VT is all about, but could we at least, for once, agree to just **** support the manager that is appointed, no matter who he is (and no; it will not be Grant (whether it is Peter or Avram, it will not be Sven and it will not be Steve McLaren). Based on the statement today it looks like a Lambert/Martinez kind of guy. Me, I do not think Lambert is the right choice as such, but if that's the appointment I will get behind him, no doubt, and I am not saying he will be bad. Just think it's one or two years too early, that's all. For me, Martinez ticks all boxes. ANYWAY, after all the shit we had to put up with this season we really, really need to get together and unite when the appointment is made.

I hear Moyes is a decent manager.
He's the dark horse for me in this. Might put a cheeky pound on him actually.

And so it starts again; as soon as the one thing we Villa fans could agree on actually happens, we start to hugely disagree on the replacement of AM. Do not get me wrong, discussions is what VT is all about, but could we at least, for once, agree to just **** support the manager that is appointed, no matter who he is (and no; it will not be Grant (whether it is Peter or Avram, it will not be Sven and it will not be Steve McLaren). Based on the statement today it looks like a Lambert/Martinez kind of guy. Me, I do not think Lambert is the right choice as such, but if that's the appointment I will get behind him, no doubt, and I am not saying he will be bad. Just think it's one or two years too early, that's all. For me, Martinez ticks all boxes. ANYWAY, after all the shit we had to put up with this season we really, really need to get together and unite when the appointment is made.
People are just debating. After McLeish I think unless the next appointment is someone like Steve Bruce the manager will have the full backing of the fans. This is why I think we should go for a revolutionary as I think after the McLeish debacle fans might have a bit more patience for it than they might've done two years ago.

Will we go for someone already in employment and then have to pay their club compensation or could it be someone who is not in work at the moment?

Or possibly CockneyVilla someone who is with a club at the moment and resigns as did Mark Hughes (who it was said we did not talk to for that reason) or the recently departed manager (who for some reason we did)?

Lambert for me. He's left clubs for bigger jobs in the past... Could bite us on the arse if he's successful though!

If he is successful we could worry about that then piav-k4. :winkold:

Whoever the new person may be, we will have to give him time, and that really is something we here at Villa are not very good at. I for one am thankful that we got rid of McMess as soon after the season as we did, as that was going nowhere but down.

Bad appointment, bad season. Time to look forwards, start regaining the winning mentality.

I'm not so sure we are bad at giving managers time. Personally I feel Houllier wasn't given enough time, although I accept that the flirt with relegation was not acceptable. In the end though he left because of his health problems. Had he not had those I think we would've carried on.

As for McLeish, I think he got too much time. Should've gone in December IMO.

I'm coming to the conclusion that appointing the right man is going to be a near impossible task. Therefore I propose Gareth Southgate.

He's Villa.

He was touted by Wenger as good enough to be the England Manager.

Highly intelligent and knows his stuff.

Nice guy players would want to play for.

Had some good times at 'Boro before getting them relegated. Very unfortunate too be relegated with Bruno Alves missing sitter after sitter.

No to Rodgers, one season wonder IMO and he was awful at Reading.

I'm not sure Lambert is the answer either, Coyle was flavour of the month last year and he has hardly had a great season with Bolton.

I would prefer someone with a proven record in the Premier League like Rafa, Hoddle or at worst Martinez.

At least Houllier tied to get us playing football, but many of our fans were already on his back. Long process, but we did look better towards the end of that season than at the beginning.
It's annoying isn't it? After such a poor season we finally start to get some results and go on a run of form and then he has all that heart trouble. The big "what if?" for me is if those heart problems had never reoccurred. I think they would've kept him on and it would've been very interesting to see how he would've fared in his second season. One thing's for sure: this McLeish debacle would've never happened.

I'm coming to the conclusion that appointing the right man is going to be a near impossible task. Therefore I propose Gareth Southgate.

Had some good times at 'Boro before getting them relegated. Very unfortunate too be relegated with Bruno Alves missing sitter after sitter.

I would worry about hiring a manager who thought that he had signed Bruno Alves, when he had actually signed Afonso Alves :winkold:

Didn't Rijkaard say he was interested in the job last year? I'm sure he could be tempted away from the Saudi national team. Not saying he is my first choice but I think it would be an interesting appointment if he was given enough time to build his own team like he did in Spain.