Star Wars

Awol

The Y-Wings got hammered at the Battle of Yavin, of 8 sent only 1 came back. X-Wing losses were at 50%, and it was an X-Wing that made the successful bombing run. Y-Wings were notoriously lacking in maneuverability, and better suited at barreling their way through surface-to-air fire to reach a target. In a straight-up dogfight? Not a chance. The X-Wings were multi-role as well, so you've got the best of both worlds. They were the Hawker Hurricanes of the Galactic Civil War.
I guess that makes the Y-Wing the Fairey Battle, or possibly the Boulton-Paul Defiant, of the GCW?

Maybe more like a Hawker Typhoon, or the Mosquito?

The Y-Wings got hammered at the Battle of Yavin, of 8 sent only 1 came back. X-Wing losses were at 50%, and it was an X-Wing that made the successful bombing run. Y-Wings were notoriously lacking in maneuverability, and better suited at barreling their way through surface-to-air fire to reach a target. In a straight-up dogfight? Not a chance. The X-Wings were multi-role as well, so you've got the best of both worlds. They were the Hawker Hurricanes of the Galactic Civil War.
I guess that makes the Y-Wing the Fairey Battle, or possibly the Boulton-Paul Defiant, of the GCW?

In a way. But I was thinking 1940, especially with regard to the '8 sent only 1 came back' bit.

In a way. But I was thinking 1940, especially with regard to the '8 sent only 1 came back' bit.

Gotcha. Y-Wings were pretty good though and the Fairey's / B-P D's were really arse. Difficult to find a decent equivalent in the 1940's RAF.

If you were watching Star wars for the first time now, say as a 13 year old kid, which order should you watch them in...

Episode 1 through to Episode 6?

or original trilogy, then prequel trilogy?

Chronological order (i.e. 1 to 6).

Your average 13-year-old doesn't care about whether he's watching "proper" movies, he just enjoys lights and special effects and cool sounds.

(I'm not entirely sure the average 30-year-old cares about "proper" films as well, mind)

1-6. Get the shit ones out of the way first.

I actually grew up with 1-3 and loved them but watching 4-6 you soon realize they are the proper movies!!

hmmm...

having watched all the films in the same decade (in this order - 4,5,6,1,2,3), i can say that my favourite film to worst film was:

2 (best)

1 (worst)

:shock:

Wow. I've never known anyone to enjoy the first 3, let alone rate 2&3 above the classic originals.

Luke Skywalker or Han Solo?

Remember the scene in Empire Strikes Back where Vader coolly deflects the bolts from Han's blaster and then promptly goes on to telekinetic-ally yank it out of Han's grasp?

Luke would have wiped the floor with Han, no question.

i read the book for 3 so the film was really disappointing, there is tons more stuff they didnt put in the film, including the obvious anakin emotions and surprisingly the fight scene with palpatine, a fight scene being better in a book says a lot IMO

empire strikes back is the best film ever made so id have that as top of my list

Luke Skywalker or Han Solo?

Remember the scene in Empire Strikes Back where Vader coolly deflects the bolts from Han's blaster and then promptly goes on to telekinetic-ally yank it out of Han's grasp?

Luke would have wiped the floor with Han, no question.

Luke wouldn't have had the heart to finish Han off, too much of a pussy. Han on the other hand would have thought nothing of killing him while he slept and banging his sister 5 minutes later.

1-6. Get the shit ones out of the way first.

I actually grew up with 1-3 and loved them but watching 4-6 you soon realize they are the proper movies!!

hmmm...

having watched all the films in the same decade (in this order - 4,5,6,1,2,3), i can say that my favourite film to worst film was:

2 (best)

1 (worst)

That is why you fail.

i read the book for 3 so the film was really disappointing, there is tons more stuff they didnt put in the film, including the obvious anakin emotions and surprisingly the fight scene with palpatine, a fight scene being better in a book says a lot IMO

Agreed, the book was surprisingly excellent.

Hayden Christensen as Anakin has got to rank as one of the worst casting decisions ever made, especially considering how iconic Vader is. They got the casting for what is (imo) THE greatest villain of all time so unbelievably and underwhelmingly wrong.

The rest of the cast in the prequels were good imo (esp. McDiarmid) but they cocked up when it came to the most important character. **** you, George Lucas :rant:

Â