Speeding

JMilnereatsnails

I think I'd be banned within a week if I moved back to the UK. Always takes me a while to remember to think about them if I bring the car back over. Which I will be doing in three weeks for the Blackburn game.

I'll be coming through here the weekend after next so I'll be watching out for these cameras as I know exactly where, you're talking about.

Although a sat nav with POI software on your phone is often useful because you also get an audio voice alert if there's any speed cameras about. IIRC POI software if it updates will pick up road work speed cameras.

(TBF I totally agree with traffic been slowed down at contra flows - when I was young a friend came off his bike on the M6 going up to Blackpool driving through a contra flow, showing off at speed... ...3 cars hit him apparently and it was a right mess. His fault totally but nevertheless his family were distraught.)

I'll be coming through here the weekend after next so I'll be watching out for these cameras as I know exactly where, you're talking about.

The M42 cameras are easy to spot, because they are on the same gantries in both directions. If you see them on the opposite carriageway, you are about to go under one!

Here's an idea: keep to the **** speed limit.

Not difficult - thereafter no need to go all ' tea party' and moan about any kind of revenue service.

'Job done' as they say, apparently.

Depends if the speed limits are set for safety or revenue collection though, I can give you plenty of examples of the latter, unpopulated 30 mph dual carriageways at the ends of motorways that are deliberately slowed down because they have put speed cameras there, not only that but the speed reduction coincided with the cameras going up. I can even give you 40mph dual carriageways in populated areas with no protective fence at all merely half a mile a way. Makes no sense, has no logic to it and is designed to make money.

After going down the M1 the last 2 weekends (North London bound) the road works are really affecting my driving.

40mph everywhere, and when I'm not in one of those zones I'm doing easily 95-100mph in the fast lane to make up for lost time.

I'd have put money on Snowy popping in and saying keep to the speed limit.
He's right though.

"1984/Big Brother" it may be (note to Wiggy: that's a reference to George Orwell [1903-1950], British novelist and essayist) :winkold:, revenue-generating it may be, but you always get caught, so you may as well stick to the limits.

And in the long run, that will be no bad thing.

if they really gave a shit about speed why not limit cars to a maximum of 70mph?

the fact that you could drive at 70mph in an old mini and also nowadays in the same car which is infinitely safer, stronger and can handle conditions a lot better says to me that the speed limit isn't just about saving lives.

many country roads are now 50 instead of 60 which when you see some of the country roads it makes perfect sense.

Same goes for 20mph in school zones.

I do hope as well that the fine and penalty points for driving with a mobile phone and tailgating are a lot harsher punishments than speeding.

Dunno. Just seems like something you'd do.

Seemed like something I'd do after I'd done it?

Top forecasting skills - putting money on what the weather was like yesterday?

I knew you'd say that.

Dunno. Just seems like something you'd do.

Seemed like something I'd do after I'd done it?

Top forecasting skills - putting money on what the weather was like yesterday?

I knew you'd say that.

I knew that you'd predict that Snowy would say what he did and then that you'd say that you knew what Snowy's response to your prediction would be.

I'm a seer.

As for speeding. You'll be caught eventually and once you're caught it's best to take the fine and get on with it unless you've got a great lawyer and you need to avoid a ban.

He's right though.

"1984/Big Brother" it may be (note to Wiggy: that's a reference to George Orwell [1903-1950], British novelist and essayist) :winkold:, revenue-generating it may be, but you always get caught, so you may as well stick to the limits.

I actually do travel within speed limits 99% of the time, I've taken the decision to just relax more when I drive (no easy thing to do on the UK) But it still frustrates the shit out of me when limits are set in such a way as to make it easy to accidentally or unintentionally break them, i.e constantly and inexplicable changing limits, poorly signposted changes, or just down right strange limits, usually these are accompanied by a proliferation of speed cameras. I've been driving 26 years and it's only during the last few years that I've ever found myself traveling on a road and having no real idea what the actual speed limit is, this is due to many of the previously mentioned problems. It also annoys me that along with these measures there seems a concerted effort to paint speeding as the most dangerous of driving activities, Drivng down the M1 as I do regularly, the most dangerous experiences I've had have had usually had nothing to do with people speeding. But I guess that speeding is just easier to monitor and detect than most other driving offences, and it can be a nice little earner as well.

He's right though.

I actually do travel within speed limits 99% of the time, I've taken the decision to just relax more when I drive (no easy thing to do on the UK) But it still frustrates the shit out of me when limits are set in such a way as to make it easy to accidentally or unintentionally break them, i.e constantly and inexplicable changing limits, poorly signposted changes, or just down right strange limits, usually these are accompanied by a proliferation of speed cameras. I've been driving 26 years and it's only during the last few years that I've ever found myself traveling on a road and having no real idea what the actual speed limit is, this is due to many of the previously mentioned problems. It also annoys me that along with these measures there seems a concerted effort to paint speeding as the most dangerous of driving activities, Drivng down the M1 as I do regularly, the most dangerous experiences I've had have had usually had nothing to do with people speeding. But I guess that speeding is just easier to monitor and detect than most other driving offences, and it can be a nice little earner as well.

Well I certainly can't argue with that. I've been busted for speed twice - one was entirely my own fault, in that I knew the road and the limits very well, but I wasn't concentrating on how fast I was going (I'd just been visiting my missus in hospital when she had cancer, but that's no excuse).

The other time though, was on a wide dual carriageway in an unfamiliar town, that happened to be a rather quirky 30mph - and only had ONE sign saying so, right at the start, with cameras further up - no more limit signs. I missed the initial sign, and very carefully drove at 39mph. And got a ticket through the post.

That's the sort of thing that IS annoying. If there are cameras, there should always be speed limit signs very near to them IMO, but there frequently aren't.

Â