Falkland Islands

The_Rev

All maps of Argentina, inside the country, include 'Las Malvinas'.

Forget the potential mineral resources, as some have stated, de Kirchner is looking to stoke her popularity-Argentinian politicians can lose popularity in the blink of an eye. In the anniversary year she is bound,when addressing veterans, to tell them that their comrades did not die in vain.Equally, Cameron is bound to make the same noises here.

The fact is that British blood was spilt recovering the Islands from an act of aggression, so it will probably need to be a minimum of 60 years before any discussion on change could take place.

There is a Welsh community in Patagonia. Had Mr Kinnock been UK Prime Minister at the time, Argentina would now be celebrating the 30th anniversary of the recovery of Las Malvinas, and no doubt that community would be central to the festivities.

Forget the potential mineral resources, as some have stated, de Kirchner is looking to stoke her popularity-Argentinian politicians can lose popularity in the blink of an eye. In the anniversary year she is bound,when addressing veterans, to tell them that their comrades did not die in vain.Equally, Cameron is bound to make the same noises here.

The fact is that British blood was spilt recovering the Islands from an act of aggression, so it will probably need to be a minimum of 60 years before any discussion on change could take place.

There is a Welsh community in Patagonia. Had Mr Kinnock been UK Prime Minister at the time, Argentina would now be celebrating the 30th anniversary of the recovery of Las Malvinas, and no doubt that community would be central to the festivities.

A greater number of people were killed or injured in that stupid war than actually lived on the islands they were fighting over.

A greater number of people were killed or injured in that stupid war than actually lived on the islands they were fighting over.

All wars are stupid and unnecessary. We were stupid to reduce our presence in the South Atlantic, but we did not invite a military junta who killed thousands to invade.

I suspect more people were wounded and killed during WWI then actually lived in Belgium, whose neutrality being broken led to Britain entering the war...

Michael Foot I believe was the Labour leader at the time.

war

thought it was a conflict ?

actually thinking about it anyone know the difference between the two ?

Basically a war is declared on a party by another or by two parties against each other with the aim of defeating, destorying, over powering or perhaps even annihilating each other or one party. In war the fighting even if on a neutral territory will eventually develop to include one or even both home territories.

A conflict however is usually over a territory and will not be extended to the home lands of those involved. It is also usually related to a single issue without any expressed or otherwise desire or aim to exterminate the other side.

It gets a little more complicated when you start bringing politics into it and why there are motives for calling things one thing or another but in definition terms basically this about covers it.

Michael Foot I believe was the Labour leader at the time.

Thanks, I got them the wrong way around.

Had Mr Foot been Prime Minister, there would be a statue of him in Buenos Aires now.....

(FWIW I have always quite liked Neil Kinnock, despite his politics)

As I understand it, much of the Argentinian claim on the Falklands is based upon their proximity to Argentina.

Well I can now reveal for the first time that the distance between Argentina and the Falklands, is exactly the same as the distance between the Falklands and Argentina.

Should not the Falkland Islanders register a claim on Argentina at the UN based upon this same proximity?

Â