Falkland Islands

The_Rev

Arse meet elbow, pleasure to meet you.

Your logic we should sack of the north, as that's a bit expensive to keep. Is a pity the Argies don't take it to the international court, but then there its a very good reason why they don't.

Arse meet elbow, pleasure to meet you.

Your logic we should sack of the north, as that's a bit expensive to keep. Is a pity the Argies don't take it to the international court, but then there its a very good reason why they don't.

Not really no - the North is actually part of the UK - Joined on as one.#

Where as the Falkland are over 7000 miles away - so no not the same.

You cannot own the land the land owns you.

By your philosophy Australians should all come back as should all non native Americans. Incidentally most Argentinians came from Spain and Italy, should they all leave as well. The current islanders have been there since 1830. Prior to this the islands were uninhabited.If you trade the human rights of one man, we are all the poorer for it. Not all human principles should be judged by the fiscal cost.

lol :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Not sure what you think is funny about his post, Britain had claimed the Falklands while the Spanish settlers were still slaughtering their way across South America and before the nation of Argentina even existed.

In terms of the monetary cost of maintaining the Islands defences I'd say that those who would put a price on freedom don't deserve it.

You mention the UN repeatedly so lets have a look at its founding Charter:

Chapter One, Article One, Paragraph 2. "To develop friendly relations among nations based on respect for the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples, and to take other appropriate measures to strengthen universal peace;"

The settled rights of the Islanders trump any Argentine claim which as already pointed out rests mainly on proximty. If they can claim territory simply because it is 400 miles off their coastline does that mean we can do the same? If so we should counter claim for Patagonia and its ethnically Welsh population.

As Ads has already said, the reason the Argies don't want this issue in the International Court is because they would lose. Far better to have the *spit* Malvinas as a weapon of mass destraction as Kirchner runs Argentina into the ground. If you think the coalition's economic policy is bad take a look at how that mad bitch is getting on.

I will think you will find George Galloway voted for the war in the Falkands for exacly those reasons - Did you know that...?

In what sense? He wasn’t an MP until 1987...

Now that is worth a :lol: !

You cannot translate 2000 of you own settlers at the time of the Falkland war and put them on vacant territory and them claim that you have sovereignty over those islands forever.

I've just read back and realised why you appear so confused. Do you think that UK invaded the Falklands in 1982 and colonised the Islands? If so it would explain the series of rather bizzare posts you've made on the subject.

I will think you will find George Galloway voted for the war in the Falkands for exacly those reasons - Did you know that...?

Yep, that's a tremendous example of total pwnage!

George Galloway supported the invasion of the Falkands are you saying he didnt.

Who cares what Galloway thinks? But if he wasn't even an MP, he didn't as you say, vote on it. You appear to have been found out big time in a blatant assumption. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

. You can't just turf them out and hand over their home to Argentina because other countries think that would be the right thing to do.

Anyway, Latin American countries aren't going to refuse to trade with us over something as small as this.

Oh really you cant just go over to another country and invade them.

Do you remember that illegal war we had with Iraq which 1 million people died in...?

It was wrong for the right wing dictatorship to invade the Falklands no doubts about that at. but for those who have mentioned this already Do you remember that illegal war we had with Iraq which 1 million people died in...?

Pop corn and a kettle any one...?!

. You can't just turf them out and hand over their home to Argentina because other countries think that would be the right thing to do.

Anyway, Latin American countries aren't going to refuse to trade with us over something as small as this.

Do you remember that illegal war we had with Iraq which 1 million people died in...?

Oh dear. 1 million is yet another fact you appear to have picked for effect rather than accuracy. The body count for Iraq currently standc at between 105,890 and 115,694. Appalling of course, but not as you say,1,000,000. Check your facts please.

Oh dear. 1 million is yet another fact you appear to have picked for effect rather than accuracy. The body count for Iraq currently standc at between 105,890 and 115,694. Appalling of course, but not as you say,1,000,000. Check your facts please.

Of course if you started an illegal war - would you try and make casualties total high or low....?

According to the Landsit the journal of the bristtish medical association it was 1 000 000.

The point is its a lot people.

Who cares what Galloway thinks? But if he wasn't even an MP, he didn't as you say, vote on it. You appear to have been found out big time in a blatant assumption. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

What do you mean I have been found out - he supported the invasion of the Flaklands are you saying he didnt...?!

It was wrong for the right wing dictatorship to invade the Falklands no doubts about that at. but for those who have mentioned this already Do you remember that illegal war we had with Iraq which 1 million people died in...?

Yes, because the Iraq War and the Argentine invasion of the Falklands are comparable... :|

Yes, because the Iraq War and the Argentine invasion of the Falklands are comparable... :|

LOL - Whats your point. It was NOT OK for the Argentinians to invade the Falklnads but it was OK for British Troops to invade Iraq in an illegal war where at least 100 000 people were killed where some reports even suggest up to 1 000 000.

Yes its big bad terrible Argentina alright - we are a superbly humain Country we would never dream of invading a country killing loads of people just for oil WOULD WE...!?.Thats why we are such a popular country - everyone loves us and the Americans...Dont they...!

. Nothing like a bit of popcorn and a black kettle

after all you can just go over and invade CAN YOU "you can't just turf them out".

... to invade Iraq in an illegal war where at least 100 000 people were killed where some reports even suggest up to 1 000 000.

According to Wiki the 1m estimate was based on polling a sample of 2,000 people to ask if any members of their household had died. I'm not clear how they tried to ensure that the sample was representative - by its nature, the conflict seems like a hard thing to get a representative sample of.

The Lancet estimate is based on household survey data, comparing death rates before and after the conflict to find estimated "excess deaths", which will include both violence and also things like shortage of medical supplies, destruction of the infrastructure and other contributory factors. Death certificates were available in 92% of the cases where people were asked for them. This seems a bit more robust to me.

That gives an estimate of 650,000.

VILLAFC2000,

Your viewpoint seems to be that because the UK took part in the illegal invasion of Iraq in 2003 (and you won't find many posters on here arguing that was a good thing), the liberation of British territory and people 30 years ago was the wrong thing to do. You have suggested that the war was worthless and the Islanders should now be ethnically cleansed after 8 or more generations of living there and relocated to another country (UK), all to satisfy a deeply spurious claim by Argentina, a country that has described the Islanders as "non people" and have form for treating them like s**t.

Is that a fair summary? If so what exactly do you think the invasion of Iraq has to do with the liberation of the Falklands in 1982?

Well, well, well we agree that the Iraq War was indeed an illegal invasion in 2003. I am glad we agree on something.

Firstly I would like to point out that I don’t believe in war – its brutal there are no winners only causalities. "If History teaches us anything its that men and nations behave appropriately once they have exhausted all other alternatives".

Do I believe in the right wing extremism that Argentina imposed? Absolutely not what happened was ridiculous. I think there could have been other ways to have resolved the situation – who knows.

People are quick to take the moral high ground and point out and criticize Argentina for invading the Falklands aggressively but seem to forget that we invade countries illegally, apparently for oil.

The argument I have is that there are often two sides to the story that are not always evenly put across. To suggest that I believe the Island should be ethnically cleansed is laughable. If the Islanders want to remain British I truly believe they should absolutely have the right to remain British that does not mean the land has to belong 100% British.

I find it difficult to accept that in 2012, Territory 12 000 miles away deserves to be British for eternity.

30 years on, not only is Argentina a democracy but Argentina and South America are extremely vital economic trading nations. Brazil is one of the fastest developing BRIC nations in the World. We the UK are in times of economic hardship. This changes the dynamics in a lot of aspects. It’s in our interests to keep positive relations with as many countries as possible.

Thats just my opinion..!

Â