Xbox 720 for Xmas 2012?

MonsXI

FWIW - PS3 controller is way better :lol:

you must have some weird hands then...

:)

acutely controlling the triggers whilst using the thumb sticks on the ps3 controller for any length of time is actually painful.

Yeah my hands always cramp up and really hurt when using a PS3 controller. They're fecking tiny! Xbox FTW!

Though, you know you've played too much when your hands start cramping from an Xbox pad.

As for next gen i cant wait - I hope when it does come out, one of the first titles is a new Battlefield. Even if it's just BF3 "Next Gen" that would be ace!

MCV have now said that both will be unveiled at this years E3. It doesn't mean that the consoles are anywhere near finished, yet it looks like they will be making an appearance/announcement in some form (even if only as a teaser trailer). It looks like they will probably be released in late 2012 or more realistically at some point in 2013. The article can be found here.

Both the Xbox 360 successor AND a follow up to the PS3 will be shown at E3 2012.

The LA show tease will come as Wii U launch details are locked in – and should ensure no ground is lost between competing consoles.

It will mark the very first time in the show’s 17-year history that three fresh, rival console formats will be so directly comparable.

Microsoft has long been rumoured to detail its next-gen plans at E3 2012, and MCV's third-party publishing sources claim the firm had signalled to partners this will happen.

The 360 is one of the longest-serving games consoles in history. But the real surprise is an early move from Sony. Execs at the PlayStation firm have made it clear to third-parties that they will not be left behind this time.

Execs aren’t expecting price or launch details for the new Xbox or PlayStation. But their unveiling could be a perfect spoiler to the pre-Christmas launch date and price that will be revealed for Wii U in June.

They are a pretty reliable source too, so it looks like it will be happening. It's a bit of a shock as I was expecting them to be announced (or shown) at E3 in 2013 at the earliest.

Noone cares about the 360 vs PS3 debate anymore, you're both 6 years late.

This thread is about the next 'next gen' consoles.

FWIW - PS3 controller is way better :lol:

We're not debating anything.

The PS3 controller isn't the best, the triggers don't enough travel, and the thumb sticks are in the wrong place, its a bit out of date.

I have both a 360 and a PS3 so I don't really have any bias in which I prefer (i.e. I won't say PS3 is better because it's the only one I have)

But since I've got a PS3 I've rarely touched my 360. The only time I've used it is for GoW and GTA IV, and thaty's only because I got bought GTA IV on 360.

I think there's little on the 360, for me personally, that interests me that I can't get on PS3.

I assume they are dev kits (of sorts) which are basically computers which will have the power of (or be very similar to) the version of the Xbox which will eventually be on shop shelves.

If i remember correctly I thought i read that there was a new Halo coming out soon, think it would be Halo 4? If a new xbox is due out later this year, surely they would have had the new Halo developed for it, and released it at the same time as the new box?

Halo isn't nearly as popular as it was when Halo2 came out so that could be a good way to give the franchise a bit of a kick up the arse.

Personally, I think the future looks like OnLive.

i agree, will be interesting to see if the next gen consoles go over the £300 mark set by the ps3, the top games are already creeping to £45 so id expect them to break £50 for next gen

if OnLive can prove itself to be a cheaper alternative it'll really take off

as for the likes of MGS i cant see how they cant be multiplat anymore, the developers cant afford not to be

OnLive is still ten years away from being truly mass market. I dont think the internet infrastructure is ready for it, I dont think retail is ready for it (there isnt a critical mass of people ready to jump into a totally digital ecosystem yet) and I think that the OnLive tech will struggle until somebody with the money to market the hell out of it comes along.

My money is on Microsoft/Sony/Apple/Whoever making their next system into something which runs OnLive (or their own equivalent) perfectly so when the conversation about the next round of next gen hardware comes along in 2018-2020 they will just be able to say "that box you already have under your TV? Its also an OnLive machine." Until then most people will still be playing games on discs. I do think that all of the interfaces like Xbox Live and PSN will become like Steam is for the PC though. Internet will be a much bigger deal, internet TV kinda already is on consoles but that will just continue to grow. People like me will just point out that all of this shit can be done on a Windows machine already, but at least game developers will be able to make games for a level of hardware that isnt starting to show its age.

I assume they are dev kits (of sorts) which are basically computers which will have the power of (or be very similar to) the version of the Xbox which will eventually be on shop shelves.

pretty much this. they're versions of the console using much the same technology that will be found in the final system, but created using contemporary components. basically a DIY version of the system, built to spec, specifically for devs to get on the development boat early

Personally, I think the future looks like OnLive.

i agree, will be interesting to see if the next gen consoles go over the £300 mark set by the ps3, the top games are already creeping to £45 so id expect them to break £50 for next gen

if OnLive can prove itself to be a cheaper alternative it'll really take off

as for the likes of MGS i cant see how they cant be multiplat anymore, the developers cant afford not to be

cloud computing is definitely where we're going, but it won't be for a while yet. i suspect this forthcoming generation may be the last traditional generation of consoles though. they MIGHT manage to squeeze in another one if they look at a 5-7 year shelf life, but for the most part i think the non digitally distributed media side of things is drawing to a close

i know there are plenty of people who claim itll never happen, but it will. publishers want it, and i think gamers want it for the most part. the only ones who dont want it are the likes of nintendo, sony and microsoft, becasue it'll mean they lose control and exclusivity, since most cloud based stuff will likely run on remote pcs for the sake of handiness - which is ultimately better for the gamer as it'll mean the technology is consistently cutting edge

OnLive is still ten years away from being truly mass market. I dont think the internet infrastructure is ready for it, I dont think retail is ready for it (there isnt a critical mass of people ready to jump into a totally digital ecosystem yet) and I think that the OnLive tech will struggle until somebody with the money to market the hell out of it comes along.

My money is on Microsoft/Sony/Apple/Whoever making their next system into something which runs OnLive (or their own equivalent) perfectly so when the conversation about the next round of next gen hardware comes along in 2018-2020 they will just be able to say "that box you already have under your TV? Its also an OnLive machine." Until then most people will still be playing games on discs. I do think that all of the interfaces like Xbox Live and PSN will become like Steam is for the PC though. Internet will be a much bigger deal, internet TV kinda already is on consoles but that will just continue to grow. People like me will just point out that all of this shit can be done on a Windows machine already, but at least game developers will be able to make games for a level of hardware that isnt starting to show its age.

Isn't that what I said but in many more words? :mrgreen:

Also, over the life of the next consoles, I predict that most homes will move over to internet appliances. They won't be running windows and are likely to be lower powered than current consoles (because they won't need to support the bloat). There will always be niches, but I don't expect those niches to be filled with anything from microsoft; unless they start making appliances.

Â