Dual Citizenship and the birth certificate hunt

b23avfc

Basically I learned that I'm an Irish Citizen (as many of you will be) based on the fact my father is from (ie born in) Ireland.

So I'm considering getting an irish passport to help me travel a little easier. Ok, so I don't travel hardcore and ultimately have little problem. I do get stopped frequently in airports and I do plan to travel a little more and I feel the Irish passport might make it smoother/more welcome in certain countries. Though funny thing is I probably look more at home in those kinda countries :D

Well. Also i'd like it for personal reasons, and because I think it'd be cool. :S

I would need my father's birth certificate. I believe with certain info I can get this from groireland.ie etc. But I only have the full name, d.o.b, place being dublin, his parents name. I have nothing else like hospital name (though that can be guessed to a degree) nor his mother's maiden name.

Does anybody have experience in dual citizenship and/or getting a birth certificate with limited info?

Thanks a million ;)

So I'm considering getting an Irish passport to help me travel a little easier.

other than getting you free beer in bars in Boston I'm scratching my head as to where exactly having an Irish passport would be an advantage ?

other than getting you free beer in bars in Boston I'm scratching my head as to where exactly having an Irish passport would be an advantage ?

Montserrat

Perhaps it is not a British passport that he currently has?

I have two passports both UK ones, different numbers the lot.

The people at the passport office were actually very good in sorting that out. The benefits of having two are that if I need a Visa in one and have to send away, e.g. Russia, Nigeria etc, I can still travel.

Never had any issues with having a UK passport though in anywhere I have been - the people are more interested in the Visa stamps and what I was doing in places like Saudi

Yeah annoying as thise full page visas are they get some raised eyebrows when people flick through your passport....My aim is to get the full set of the axis of evil countries and then fly to the states.. Nearly went to Iraq the other year but after a bit of reflection decided that it would be safer to leave it another year or two until the yanks have pulled out (you know what they are like with friendly fire ..)

I would prefer to continue decorating my uk passport but it runs out in 2015 anyway and I have a feeling the Irish one is cheaper :S That and having two is handy for sending off for visa's etc. And I get enough grief in airports as it is

My wife is Irish and wanted my three kids to have Irish passports. No no no..... Cited that when they were older and travelling the world, if they are in the shit, war zone etc, just by chance there maybe a Naval ship or RAF base nearby. (Lebanon a few years back - UK citizens first EEC second)

They are proud to be English. It's where they were born.

Good for them :)

Personally I'll run the two. Maybe consider not renewing the UK, but likely will.

Thanks for the link, i've spoken to them to see if I can get the cert without my dads parents address at the time of birth. As it turns out my sister reckons she can get hold of it anyway.

Basically I learned that I'm an Irish Citizen (as many of you will be) based on the fact my father is from (ie born in) Ireland.

typical. we qualify for a major tournament and all the plastic Paddies looking to get in the squad ;) Is that you Tony Cascarino?

Both my parents born & bred in the rebel county (Cork to those who didnt know), came over here in 60's as many others, to work....I was born here. Had UK passport but a few years ago, went for irish one too. The irish embassy in London were quite twattish about it all....had to supply all my details, including my (now defunct) marriage cert, birth cert...AND my folks wedding and both their own (now tattered) birth certs before they would consider me.

What got my old lady narked was that they give passports out to asylum seekers over there who aint even a hint irish and she told the pen pushers that as well. Got it in the end though. No problems with it at all, apart from once visiting america, one dozy immigration clerk typed in IR in to my arrival data log on his pc instead of IE for the country code. Carried on my journey to Vegas no problem. Only on my departure 2 weeks later flying out of Vegas the check in girl said i had been booked in as an Iranian so I would need to join the other long long queue of "alien" nationals..got searched 4 separate times...almost missed my flight......i mean she agreed i didnt look iranian but what could she do ? I said "look, my middle name is Patrick for God's sake !!" No difference. Luckily i was spared the rubber glove search.

All because some minimum wage desk clerk couldnt be bothered to look up the country code for Ireland.

Rant over !

Â