R.I.P. Christopher Hitchens

Brumerican

Liked a drink.

Sold out to the right wing.

Flew the flag for atheism.

Two out of three ain't bad. :winkold:

At least we and the god squad can agree on one thing - he isn't in heaven right now.

For a second in my head I was thinking of Peter Hitchens the Daily Mail columnist and was utterly baffled by the outpouring of respect. It all makes sense now. RIP
His brother.

Peter is ironically a former atheist who is now a godbotherer.

An intellectual apparently, but he supported a Bush foreign policy that led to the deaths of millions. That doesn't seem very clever at this point in time.

He did come out and admit he was wrong...in fact, the last several years of his life, he seemed to be making a real break with right wing ideology. Which you think would be hard to do for a guy in his 50's and 60's...

An intellectual apparently, but he supported a Bush foreign policy that led to the deaths of millions. That doesn't seem very clever at this point in time.

A Blair foreign policy as well, no?

A great loss.

He could argue with intensity and daming power.

I never really agreed with him politically, particularly when he decided he was a neo-con, but I found a great respect for him when he placed his thoughts on the line and actually went on to be waterboarded, an experience that was enough to change his views.

I'll have a extra pint for a great man when I'm next in a bar, and maybe eye a packet of fags for a moment.

He did come out and admit he was wrong...in fact, the last several years of his life, he seemed to be making a real break with right wing ideology. Which you think would be hard to do for a guy in his 50's and 60's...

Did he? Well what he lacked in foresight and common sense was almost made up for in humility then.

Â