Martin O'Neill

maqroll

Faulkner is an administrator, and Lerner, apparently, was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and has incredibly not yet managed to lose the undeserved fortune inherited from his father :winkold:

Faulkner is an administrator, but at the same time he has also been involved in signing and selling players; certainly Milner and Ireland, and the appointment of Houllier and McLeish. He believes we are a top six side.

Its not his job to be an expert in football, but he does need to have the knowledge to appoint the expert, i.e. the manager. McLeish is an expert in a certain brand of football as we know...

What point are you trying to make? Of course the administrator would be involved in the sale and signing of players, as that is his job. The manager identifies the targets, and the administrator takes care of financial negotiations with the selling club, the player, and the player's agent.

Faulkner was not involved with the appointment of Houllier, but may have been with McLeish.

Apparently a large number of dissenters on here, including me, thing that we should be top 10, so top 6 isn't much of a jump from there. After all, Newcastle are in the top 6 :shock:

Edit: just realised that i posted this in the O'Neill thread, but as O'Neill is being discussed in virtually every Villatalk topic i don't suppose it makes much difference.

My point is that he’s more than a mere ‘administrator’ he’s been involved in key footballing decisions and thats why in part we are where we are. His total lack of experience has seen the nightmare situation unfold. I would have never imagined we would be where we are.

I think its a huge leap from 10 to 6; of the top 6, five of them are clubs we would expect to be there, Newcastle are doing exceptionally well, and below them are Liverpool, and then the rest of the league.

Luckiest manager goin.

The media would have you believe that Irish lad Mclean was scooped off the street while having a kick about with a tin can by O'Neill on a charity visit to Ireland. Funny how he was signed by Steve Bruce.

Bruce put together a side that was struggling at the bottom of the table. MON took over the same side and before you know it they're one of the league's form teams. To me that doesn't suggest luck, it suggests he's a very good manager.

It suggests he's a better manager then Steve Bruce, which in itself proves nothing we don't already know. They arent going to keep this run going, have played lots of easy teams and been ridiculously lucky in some games. I'll judge him over his first full season, be interesting to see if he makes similar decisions as when he was with us.

If your saying MON is not a good/great manager what ever then who would you say it a great manager - Wenger, Daglish...?!!

MON was the best thing that happened to this club in a long time - now hes gone I have lost so much belief and existance of this once great club..!

I hope the fans who really took a dislike to MON and said he was dragging the club in the wrong direction are pleased with what we have at the moment. Thats what you wanted thats what yout have got - a relegation pile of misfits with no direction home.

The wages and transfers fees played for some players was pricey - but this is the PL if you wanna play with the big boys you have to compete finiacially. RL had the final say in this not MON.

MON ami.

It suggests he's a better manager then Steve Bruce, which in itself proves nothing we don't already know. They arent going to keep this run going, have played lots of easy teams and been ridiculously lucky in some games. I'll judge him over his first full season, be interesting to see if he makes similar decisions as when he was with us.

Actually it suggest that MON is quite a long way better than Bruce by a country mile.

Considering some Muppets think that Bruce is an ideal candidate for the England Job - Then thats put it into perspective a little.

Luck that old chesnut - you make your own. I dont think they will continue this run for longer either. However I do expect them to do better than Newcastle and Villa - which says something.

If your saying MON is not a good/great manager what ever then who would you say it a great manager - Wenger, Daglish...?!!

MON was the best thing that happened to this club in a long time - now hes gone I have lost so much belief and existance of this once great club..!

I hope the fans who really took a dislike to MON and said he was dragging the club in the wrong direction are pleased with what we have at the moment. Thats what you wanted thats what yout have got - a relegation pile of misfits with no direction home.

The wages and transfers fees played for some players was pricey - but this is the PL if you wanna play with the big boys you have to compete finiacially. RL had the final say in this not MON.

MON ami.

Well said that man... couldn't have put it better myself. The fans who didn't enjoy MON's tenure here and continuously stated we were a hoofball side and he took us as far as he could are the ones that Mr O'Leary were referring to as fickle.

I cant believe the stick he gets from some of our so-called fans when all he done here was make us a MUCH better side than the previous decade and gave most of us some of the best seasons we have had (or are going to have in that matter) for a very long time. Some people need to get real.

Theres an old saying, you dont know what you have till its gone! some people just cant admit defeat though and admit that they were wrong, and will argue to the high heavens we are still better off without him because we couldn't push on with him....hows that working out lads?

cheers - He was not perfect by any means and he had his weaknesses, which managers dont Ferurson, Mourishno and Wenger.

What is true is that we have gone from having:-

- One of the best defences in the PL to having one of the worst.

- One of the best set pieces to one of the worst.

- Some of the best wingers to some of the worst

- top six team to bottom six team.

- Beating Blues loosing to blues.

- high Attendence to low attendeces

- wembley appearences no wembley appearnences

Mean while MON leapfrogs Aston Villa making no new signings winning 10 out of 15.

cheers - He was not perfect by any means and he had his weaknesses, which managers dont Ferurson, Mourishno and Wenger.

What is true is that we have gone from having:-

- One of the best defences in the PL to having one of the worst.

- One of the best set pieces to one of the worst.

- Some of the best wingers to some of the worst

- top six team to bottom six team.

- Beating Blues loosing to blues.

- high Attendence to low attendeces

- wembley appearences no wembley appearnences

Mean while MON leapfrogs Aston Villa making no new signings winning 10 out of 15.

Yea...yea... but now when yet another team beats us and their fans start a banter you can tell them something like : We lost but our wage bill is under control, how's yours huh? Ha-ha.

It really bothers them, they don't know what to answer back with. :)

Craig Gardner on MON...

Gardner, though, says that he was the author of his own exit at Villa Park, revealing: “To be honest, I’ve read a bit about the gaffer selling me previously, but it doesn’t really paint the full picture.

“The truth is I wanted to leave, I was desperate to go because I wasn’t getting games and that’s why I was allowed to move – I was pestering him every day about going because I wanted to play football.

“The gaffer didn’t want me to leave, but I needed to go because I knew that reserve-team football was no longer any good for me if I was going to develop as I wanted to.”

Gardner had seen enough of the Northern Irishman, though, to know that he would love to play for him again and he has enjoyed seeing his team-mates at Sunderland begin to appreciate the abilities of the new manager.

“The way he turned Aston Villa around was unbelievable and the way he has turned Sunderland around is unbelievable,” mused the 25-year-old, who cost the Black Cats £5million last summer.

“Some people say he’s a genius, some people say he’s lucky; but he can’t be lucky because he does it every time.

“He’s just a top bloke and a top, top manager.”

http://bit.ly/ArZ464

I generally think O'Neill is a good manager but not a great one.

However, has he had the opportunity to be a great manager and i think that is the question we should be asking ourselves?

He did well with limited finances at his previous clubs before coming to us and how we always seemed to struggle against Leicester in particular.

When he became our manager he inherited a poor squad and was given the finance to do something about that. This was his first real opportunity to prove that he was indeed worthy of most of his press publicity and thats where in my opinion, he failed.

His choice of player for me is the difference between where Harry Redknapp is now and why O'Neill will never be able to build a dynasty of his own. With the obvious exception of Young who was without doubt O'Neill's best buy, the rest of O'Neill's purchases had very limited technical ability on the ball and O'Neill's January purchases at Sunderland can only further highlight the point i'm trying to make.

O'Neill will always be a second tier manager in the Premiership as his football philosophy belongs more in the 1980s than present day. There's no doubt in my mind that he will be given adequate funds at Sunderland to try and push them on and again i have no doubt he will make Sunderland into a team which finishes comfortably in the top eight every season in the period that he is there. Nevertheless, could you, for instance, see O'Neill at Sunderland creating a team that would break into the top four in the way that Moyes did with Everton?

It has always been my opinion that one of the reasons why O'Neill left our club was that he wanted to buy McCready and Randy said no thereby stopping the free reign on O'Neill's purchases. History has shown that was one of the very few wise decisions our chairman has made if indeed that was the case?

It would have been interesting to see if Randy had made further finance available whether O'Neill would have breached the top four? For all of the reasons stated above i don't think so and quite obviously, neither did our chairman!

It has always been my opinion that one of the reasons why O'Neill left our club was that he wanted to buy McCready and Randy said no thereby stopping the free reign on O'Neill's purchases. History has shown that was one of the very few wise decisions our chairman has made if indeed that was the case?

How could history show anything about a scenario that has never happened and is at best a rumour?

If anything, the more talked about rumour was that MON asked to buy Scott Parker to replace Milner and was allegedly turned down by Lerner/Faulkner, which is exactly something that Redknapp, who managed to get Spurs in the top 4, actually did. Thus, if we're going to base anything on rumours, it was Randy who didn't want to do what the Spurs have done.

If anything, the more talked about rumour was that MON asked to buy Scott Parker to replace Milner and was allegedly turned down by Lerner/Faulkner

no the main rumour at time was that MON wanted McGeady. Spartak president even said it

the rest of O'Neill's purchases had very limited technical ability on the ball

Ok, I'll give you the likes of Reo-Coker, Harewood, Heskey and Cuellar... but I think that's a wee bit harsh on the likes of Milner, Petrov, Carew & Downing.

Fair enough 'MrDuck' concerning Milner although as excellent as Milner was for us, did you see Milner as a potential playmaker hurting teams with incisive passing? I actually saw Milner as more of a box to box player in midfield especially alongside Petrov when he frequently had to cover for Petrov's lack of energy.

Yes also agree that Petrov is comfortable on the ball but again has he frequently hurt teams with his passing such as Modric or Van De Vaart?

Carew too frequently lost possession for me to have deemed him comfortable on the ball and Downing, well, also not so sure. Struggling at plop but we got 20m for him so both MON and Kenny must have seen something in him which i couldn't?

I think its a shame we lost him - It was the re intro of Man city that did ONeil. It was another bit of pressure, we had to compete with another giant on top of the top four. Plus they nabbed all our players. Learner then says to him its kinda hard financially at the moment, you have to remeber I have the browns as well. The board then said he could not keep any of the Milner money and he had reduce the wage bill and sell players whilst still competing for a top four spot...!

The General comes out with this beauty...!

"‎"Top 4 is absolutely our goal...and I honestly think that we will do it. We will strengthen the squad again, everyone will be settled in and comfortable...we will be huge"!

What choice did MON have - its the PL for you.

Is it true he walked in to Faulkners office at one morning training session and basically said beat it if you think you can do better go for it and then stormed out without saying bye to anyone..?!!!

Is it true he walked in to Faulkners office at one morning training session and basically said beat it if you think you can do better go for it and then stormed out without saying bye to anyone..?!!!

Who exactly are you expecting to confirm or deny that story?

I don't think either of those two post on here.

As much as i thought O'Neill was overated, i too would have liked to have seen O'Neill here for another season or two, just to see what type of performance level he could have gleaned from our present squad?

If he is indeed the great motivational manager that everyone says he is, then now would have been the time to prove it!

I know he is doing well at Sunderland but i feel that is more to do with the new manager syndrome and the fact that since he has become their manager, the fixture list has been kind to him.

It will be interesting to see with O'Neill being financed again by an ambitious chairman how far he can push Sunderland up the table and how long the love affair lasts with the Sunderland fans if he fails to reach the required expectation level with a squad full of overpaid players with limited ability?

Â