Birmingham pub bombings - 37 years ago today

wedge

We've just passed the 49th anniversary of this tragedy on 21st November and still no justice for the families of those poor innocent folk who lost their lives enjoying an evening out. Boils my blood to be honest.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, wedge said:

We've just passed the 49th anniversary of this tragedy on 21st November and still no justice for the families of those poor innocent folk who lost their lives enjoying an evening out. Boils my blood to be honest.

Justice for the 21

The fella that started the above is a good mate of mine. 

some fascinating tales that will never be heard 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Justice for the 21

The fella that started the above is a good mate of mine. 

some fascinating tales that will never be heard 

I've tried to help the J421 campaign as much as possible financially. Got a t-shirt, pin badge and flag which I took to the Mostar home game this season. I can't help but feel it's not publicised enough (as Julie Hambleton - what a brave inspiring woman by the way - has said many times the authorities want it all just brushed under the carpet as it will suit them down to the ground) and it's scandalous and infuriating that those responsible have never faced justice and suitable punishment for the innocent lives they have taken.

I nearly never was because of the atrocities that night, my Dad and Uncle were meant to meet some of their mates in the Tavern in the Town that night but fortunately they all decided go meet in a different pub. One of those horrific Sliding Doors tales that so many from that night have to tell, gives me the horror chills the thought of people like my Grandmother not knowing whether their loved ones were coming home or not after hearing the news of the bombs and knowing people who were out in town. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wedge said:

I nearly never was because of the atrocities that night, my Dad and Uncle were meant to meet some of their mates in the Tavern in the Town that night but fortunately they all decided go meet in a different pub. One of those horrific Sliding Doors tales that so many from that night have to tell, gives me the horror chills the thought of people like my Grandmother not knowing whether their loved ones were coming home or not after hearing the news of the bombs and knowing people who were out in town. 

My Mom said that she always used to sit on the left as you go down the stairs, on the day of the bombings someone was sitting in their usual spot so they sat on the right of the pub, I'm hear today because some poor **** sat in my Moms spot, it doesn't get much closer than that.

• Shocked 2

Should send this to some of the brain farted Irish people who are using the public knife attacks to ban certain people from their country. 

My mum and dad rarely went to Bham after the bombings because of these attacks, they said there was high suspicion of anyone who was known as Irish.

Can't imagine the damage these attacks did on the good Irish people who lived around Bham at the time either, especially the communities around Digbeth etc.

Shameful this hasn't been investigated further, can you imagine it being swept under the rug if it happened in London, Manchester or Liverpool?  Absolutely not. 

Are Brummies too passive?  Or is it another reason?   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

My Mom said that she always used to sit on the left as you go down the stairs, on the day of the bombings someone was sitting in their usual spot so they sat on the right of the pub, I'm hear today because some poor **** sat in my Moms spot, it doesn't get much closer than that.

Wow mate, that is absolutely chilling to hear.

So, so glad for that circumstance though for you and your Mom! 

24 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Shameful this hasn't been investigated further, can you imagine it being swept under the rug if it happened in London, Manchester or Liverpool?  Absolutely not. 

Are Brummies too passive?  Or is it another reason?   

I agree wholeheartedly with your comment about London, Manchester or Liverpool, can't help but feel the same which is sickening.

I don't think it's because us Brummies are passive generally, I'm proud to be a Brummie and see us in the main as passionate, loyal and down-to-earth folk. I think the two points here go hand-in-hand, I'm just about to turn 30 and there are many people my age who I speak to who aren't even aware that it ever occurred which completely baffles me but I don't blame them for it, more down to the authorities' efforts to sweep it under the rug and try and forget it ever happened and therefore the lack of publicity for the brave and determined people of the official Justice 4 the 21 campaign some of whom I know and the last word that could be used to describe them is 'passive'!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wedge said:

I agree wholeheartedly with your comment about London, Manchester or Liverpool, can't help but feel the same which is sickening.

I don't think it's because us Brummies are passive generally, I'm proud to be a Brummie and see us in the main as passionate, loyal and down-to-earth folk. I think the two points here go hand-in-hand, I'm just about to turn 30 and there are many people my age who I speak to who aren't even aware that it ever occurred which completely baffles me but I don't blame them for it, more down to the authorities' efforts to sweep it under the rug and try and forget it ever happened and therefore the lack of publicity for the brave and determined people of the official Justice 4 the 21 campaign some of whom I know and the last word that could be used to describe them is 'passive'!

I guess my personal feelings towards it are we see and know annually about the Manchester concert bombings (Bee's since then have very famously become the symbol of Manchester when before that tragic event, I had NO idea the Bee was a symbol for Manchester).

Liverpool have the Hillsborough disaster annual event and yes, it's taken 30 years for any justice to be found, but you KNEW it was there and the families of the 96 were in the news etc.

London you have the Lee Rigby (I think?  I won't Google because if I'm wrong that's kind of my point of famous events!) 

Birmingham lost 21 people and injured another 100 or so?  It's local news.  Very strange. 

• Like 1

On 21/11/2011 at 22:11, slowandlow said:

and a lot of villa fans still drink in pubs that openly collected for the IRA every other saturday

We used to play in two clubs in Brum where they did that; The Garry Owen (I think it was called ) and The Pink Elephant (or Garden Of Eden) in Hurst Street. Very much dominated by the Irish; but this was well bfore The Pub Bombings. Any one go to the Arsenal match , where we 'won' the League? We were in a pub with loads of fellow Villa fans ans they started singing , "Bobby Sands is hungry" . Time for a swift exit.

Edited by veloman

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I guess my personal feelings towards it are we see and know annually about the Manchester concert bombings (Bee's since then have very famously become the symbol of Manchester when before that tragic event, I had NO idea the Bee was a symbol for Manchester).

Liverpool have the Hillsborough disaster annual event and yes, it's taken 30 years for any justice to be found, but you KNEW it was there and the families of the 96 were in the news etc.

London you have the Lee Rigby (I think?  I won't Google because if I'm wrong that's kind of my point of famous events!) 

Birmingham lost 21 people and injured another 100 or so?  It's local news.  Very strange. 

Couldn't have put it any better myself mate.

On 28/11/2023 at 09:51, lapal_fan said:

Or is it another reason?   

I'd guess part of the reason is that they convicted and imprisoned some people for it for 16 years - investigating it during that time wouldn't have reflected too well on the authorities that already had it written up as 'solved'. After their release, I think there was an opportunity, even though it was a trail that by then was 16 years cold - but at that point and in the time afterward, there doesn't seem to have been the political appetite to do it, and i think once the Good Friday Agreement was in place, there was a sort of tacit agreement that neither side would rake over too many of the coals of conflict.

• Like 2

My dad was in one of the pubs.  18 at the time.  Luckily in the opposite end to the blast.  He got a beating off my Grandad when he got home.  Charming eh.  He is not a lucky person, or very lucky...

He was also one of the firefighters at the kings cross fire.  He still wakes up in sweats.  

Â