Headsets

Chindie

Last year out of nowhere they sorta 'hit' the console market, particularly the now pretty ubiquitous Turtle Beach for the 360, after years of being PC mainstays. They're still a pretty steady seller now despite many being pretty damn expensive. Turtle Beach do a set that's £250 for example, which is insanity.

On the one hand, I see the appeal. Loads of TV have terrible speakers, and it's not always going to be viable to have a seperate speaker set up hooked up to your console, games are making leaps and bounds with sound design (in some cases ahead of the movies even), having a good mic is always of use to online players, and sometimes being able to just turn off the TV sound is a good thing, late at night for example.

On the other hand, they're quite expensive, surround sound ones are even more expensive and regularly not much good, they require traipsing wires across the room more often than not (in an age that consoles have sought to eradicate overtly visible wires as much as possible), and wireless ones suffer from the usual wireless audio issues of hiss, pop, and general sound degradation.

Working in a games shop, I dread it when people ask me for a decent 360 headset, we're a small shop and theres 11 different models you can get in our place alone. And frankly I don't know much about any model, all I know is that most people want Turtle Beach, so maybe you should do too, madam. Even my brother is interested in a set, as his missus is unimpressed by COD's explosive cacophony, and asked me for advice, I'm none the wiser.

Anyone got a set? What did you get? Worthwhile?

I purchased a Turtle Beach one for my PS3 a couple of years ago for about £80. This was back when I used to play COD and wanted a headset to hear footsteps etc.

They are very good for that sort of thing, unfortunately I no longer enjoy or play COD so I haven't used them ever since.

I would recommend if you play such games though.. In fact, PM me if anyone would like to buy them. £35

When it comes to consoles, I still stick with a booming 5.1 system but on PC I use a pair of Sennheiser HD650s headphones. Granted they're not a headset (nor are they cheap) but **** me, they sound absolutely tremendous.

Tutle beach headsets

close the thread

I spent a loooooooong time researching

best headsets you will get under £100

if you aren't bothered about a microphone the Sie Sennheiser would be lovely.

I have a pair of £250 dj senns which are still epic after 7 years of battering.

Last year out of nowhere they sorta 'hit' the console market, particularly the now pretty ubiquitous Turtle Beach for the 360, after years of being PC mainstays. They're still a pretty steady seller now despite many being pretty damn expensive. Turtle Beach do a set that's £250 for example, which is insanity.

On the one hand, I see the appeal. Loads of TV have terrible speakers, and it's not always going to be viable to have a seperate speaker set up hooked up to your console, games are making leaps and bounds with sound design (in some cases ahead of the movies even), having a good mic is always of use to online players, and sometimes being able to just turn off the TV sound is a good thing, late at night for example.

On the other hand, they're quite expensive, surround sound ones are even more expensive and regularly not much good, they require traipsing wires across the room more often than not (in an age that consoles have sought to eradicate overtly visible wires as much as possible), and wireless ones suffer from the usual wireless audio issues of hiss, pop, and general sound degradation.

Working in a games shop, I dread it when people ask me for a decent 360 headset, we're a small shop and theres 11 different models you can get in our place alone. And frankly I don't know much about any model, all I know is that most people want Turtle Beach, so maybe you should do too, madam. Even my brother is interested in a set, as his missus is unimpressed by COD's explosive cacophony, and asked me for advice, I'm none the wiser.

Anyone got a set? What did you get? Worthwhile?

I only know about Turtle Beach headsets, the general opinion within gaming seems to be that they're the most convenient because they're easy to use, and importantly connect to a 360 controller without any extra things but they are just a convenience thing, unless you're buying their absolute top of the range they tend to not be the same quality as others.

I have X11's, they're just middle range whatever headsets and for the price (I think they were £40 when I got them about 2 years ago) they've been worth it, even as a mic alone they've been worthwhile since the standard wired and wireless Xbox mics have a pretty limited lifespan and they do an awful job of picking up your voice, I must have gone through about 4 mic's in the 2 years previous, 3 wired and one wireless, never had a problem with this mic and it's much higher quality than the standard ones.

They're the best choice IMO, I sure as hell can not justify spending £200+ on a headset and the sound quality in the X11's is good, even if there are better quality ones out there. They're good value.

As for the wired/wireless thing it depends on whether people have a problem with wires, if you have pets or your xbox is just in a room where a lot of people walk by then they make sense, but they also need batteries and as far as I'm aware, there is no play and charge kit like there is for 360 controllers, which is a big drawback IMO. They do have hiss when things are totally quiet, but you forget about it pretty quickly. The wired ones hiss if you're charging your control too, that can get pretty loud.

I got some Turtle Beach headphones for the 360 a couple of years back. I originally got them for use with COD. Not sure how much they actually help but they've become a psychological crutch in that I feel like I don't do as well without them. They've really come into their own since I met my girlfriend. I play XBox upstairs at hers, and even if she's fast asleep I can continue playing deep into the night!

I just bought a Turtle Beach X41. It is the wireless 7.1 model, and it is fantastic. I have a Tritton AX360 too, though it is showing its age (four years of wear and tear more than anything else) and I have a nice set of Sennheiser closed ear headphones and some £25 Creative Audio Fata1ty thing for my PC. I like headsets. I really like the Turtle Beach headset I just bought.

I just bought a Turtle Beach X41. It is the wireless 7.1 model, and it is fantastic. I have a Tritton AX360 too, though it is showing its age (four years of wear and tear more than anything else) and I have a nice set of Sennheiser closed ear headphones and some £25 Creative Audio Fata1ty thing for my PC. I like headsets. I really like the Turtle Beach headset I just bought.

The X41s were actually the ones my brother asked me to check out for him. A lot I heard was questionable, how long have you had them if you don't mind me asking? Any issues arise at all?

If I were to get some myself I'd be tempted by wireless models were it not for some of the issues with sound quality you hear about.

I have the turtle beach X11's as well. Cant complain, good for late night sessions on any sort of games but especially fps games. Was thinking about getting the turtle beach DSS unit which 'converts' stereo sound into surround but they want 60 quid for it. Fook that. Might get it when it comes down in price though

The X41s were actually the ones my brother asked me to check out for him. A lot I heard was questionable, how long have you had them if you don't mind me asking? Any issues arise at all?

If I were to get some myself I'd be tempted by wireless models were it not for some of the issues with sound quality you hear about.

I have no complaints at all. There is a slight hiss when nothing is playing (ie, when the headphones are on and the 360 is off) but that is it. Build quality is excellent, surround sound effect is very good, better than my old Dolby 5.1 set in fact and while not as good for movies as a proper 5.1 kit I would say it is infinitely better for games. As a gaming headset I can't fault it, I cannot really comment on how they perform as music headphones though.

Cheers Rev, interesting. Might nudge my brother to taking the plunge ;).

...that actually convinces me on them a little as well, to be honest, I like the idea of having a decent audio experience whilst also nixing the wires in a space where a speaker set isn't really viable. Or affordable, despite my entertainment centre ambitions ;)

• 2 months later...

Astro A40 5.8.

I've had the low end Turtle beaches and most of them have broke. I don't know if it's just bad luck, but whatever. Decided to go for some high end ones and the Astro's are great. £200 though.

Â