Non-League Footy

hogso

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 14/11/2011 at 11:11, GarethRDR said:

Occasionally pop down to Camrose to watch the mighty Basingstoke Town. Haven't been in a while, though the last time I did they beat Villa.

What the... ?! Basingstoke Town beat Villa?! I guess it must have been Villa U21s then or maybe just 2nd team players?

My non-league team's Woking, my hometown. They're my third team though, Wimbledon are my 2nd as I grew up going to watch them at home at Plough Lane. And I know that Tony's a big Chertsey fan, he goes to their games, fair play!  : >

I wonder if Basingstoke or Woking will ever eventually, finally make it into League Two. Sigh. :s

Edited by robby b

On 20/12/2022 at 17:46, robby b said:

What the... ?! Basingstoke Town beat Villa?! I guess it must have been Villa U21s then or maybe just 2nd team players?

My non-league team's Woking, my hometown. They're my third team though, Wimbledon are my 2nd as I grew up going to watch them at home at Plough Lane. And I know that Tony's a big Chertsey fan, he goes to their games, fair play!  : >

I wonder if Basingstoke or Woking will ever eventually, finally make it into League Two. Sigh. :s

Mine is Aldershot Town. Aldershot are my 2nd team after Villa. Saying as an Aldershot fan here, we always beat Woking come Christmas but this season Woking are doing ok. Then there’s Dorking Wanderers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Louis said:

Mine is Aldershot Town. Aldershot are my 2nd team after Villa. Saying as an Aldershot fan here, we always beat Woking come Christmas but this season Woking are doing ok. Then there’s Dorking Wanderers.

Yeah, we've had mostly defeats against your lot in the last few seasons, I remember at least one double recently! :s

Er... maybe the Woking players should cut down a lot on the Christmas dinner, Christmas pudding, mince pies, mulled wine and brandy and then the NYE champagne and beer? Bunch of semi-pros. 😅 Just kidding, I don't really think that's the reason (well I flippin hope not anyway!), rather I think the fixture has become a bit of a hoodoo for them and I guess Aldershot really raise their game for it each time.

I was just thinking... Weren't Aldershot in the professional league, I mean in League Two, for some seasons? 🤔

Edited by robby b

18 hours ago, robby b said:

Yeah, we've had mostly defeats against your lot in the last few seasons, I remember at least one double recently! :s

Er... maybe the Woking players should cut down a lot on the Christmas dinner, Christmas pudding, mince pies, mulled wine and brandy and then the NYE champagne and beer? Bunch of semi-pros. 😅 Just kidding, I don't really think that's the reason (well I flippin hope not anyway!), rather I think the fixture has become a bit of a hoodoo for them and I guess Aldershot really raise their game for it each time.

I was just thinking... Weren't Aldershot in the professional league, I mean in League Two, for some seasons? 🤔

I’m off to Aldershot v Woking at the EBB Stadium for Boxing Day football. It should be on BBC Radio Surrey on the BBC Sport app but Radio Surrey tend to put Aldershot v Woking on DAB and FM anyway.

Answering your questing; Yes they were. It went down hill from 2012 onwards and then they entered company liquidation and could’ve gone bankrupt. They had so many years in League 2 but I probably prefer non league because I like the competitiveness.

How often do you go to Woking?

2 minutes ago, Louis said:

I’m off to Aldershot v Woking at the EBB Stadium for Boxing Day football. It should be on BBC Radio Surrey on the BBC Sport app but Radio Surrey tend to put Aldershot v Woking on DAB and FM anyway.

Answering your questing; Yes they were. It went down hill from 2012 onwards and then they entered company liquidation and could’ve gone bankrupt. They had so many years in League 2 but I probably prefer non league because I like the competitiveness.

Question sorry

Just now, Louis said:

Good on you for going to Aldershot matches! 🙂 They're lucky to have loyal fans like you. Oh, that's a pity about that liquidation. :s But maybe Aldershot will get back up into League 2 soon-ish, you never know, perhaps via the play-offs.

I haven't gone to see Woking for years unfortunately, I ended up living abroad for 7 years and am abroad again now, in Chile. I do really want to go to a Woking game before too long though once I'm back in Britain. (And a Villa game too, of course, it's been too long!)   : <

I've listened to Woking matches on BBC Surrey at times (when I've been in England or Wales). I remember you lot beat us 4-0 in the league recently, I think it was the Boxing Day game, and I thought 'Oh for goodness sake. Christmas Day drinks??? Did you turn up hungover?!' Lol 😅 In reality, I guess Aldershot simply had a better team than Woking's at that time.

29 minutes ago, robby b said:

Good on you for going to Aldershot matches! 🙂 They're lucky to have loyal fans like you. Oh, that's a pity about that liquidation. :s But maybe Aldershot will get back up into League 2 soon-ish, you never know, perhaps via the play-offs.

I haven't gone to see Woking for years unfortunately, I ended up living abroad for 7 years and am abroad again now, in Chile. I do really want to go to a Woking game before too long though once I'm back in Britain. (And a Villa game too, of course, it's been too long!)   : <

I've listened to Woking matches on BBC Surrey at times (when I've been in England or Wales). I remember you lot beat us 4-0 in the league recently, I think it was the Boxing Day game, and I thought 'Oh for goodness sake. Christmas Day drinks??? Did you turn up hungover?!' Lol 😅 In reality, I guess Aldershot simply had a better team than Woking's at that time.

The thing is for me - I am a Villa fan he’s but it’s 3 hours from me and Aldershot is 20 minutes from me.

The only Aldershot I’ve been to this season an away game is Dorking away. Easy journey on the train just changing at Guildford. Aldershot is easy for me, as I ride a motorcycle or I can take a direct bus to the town.

I don’t remember beating you guys 4-0.... last Boxing Day it was 1-1 and then Woking away we won 2-3.

You just can’t believe there’s lots of non league teams in the area. Farnborough, Woking, Aldershot , Dorking, Farnham Town and Guildford City.

• Like 1

Just now, Louis said:

The thing is for me - I am a Villa fan he’s but it’s 3 hours from me and Aldershot is 20 minutes from me.

The only Aldershot I’ve been to this season an away game is Dorking away. Easy journey on the train just changing at Guildford. Aldershot is easy for me, as I ride a motorcycle or I can take a direct bus to the town.

I don’t remember beating you guys 4-0.... last Boxing Day it was 1-1 and then Woking away we won 2-3.

You just can’t believe there’s lots of non league teams in the area. Farnborough, Woking, Aldershot , Dorking, Farnham Town and Guildford City.

Well that 4-0 to Aldershot wasn't very recent, it was Boxing Day in 2016. Scott Rendell scored a hattrick and he'd left Woking for Aldershot! 😑 

Oh yeah, that is a lot of high level non-league teams in Surrey/Hampshire, I hadn't really noticed there were that many. Plus there's Chertsey, in the 7th tier I think, hope they get promoted soon.

Edited by robby b

On 21/12/2022 at 22:16, Louis said:

Did you get lucky to watch Ross McCormack at Aldershot or was that during lockdown

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Did you get lucky to watch Ross McCormack at Aldershot or was that during lockdown

Yep you were right. He didn’t last long, he didn’t last long at Villa too.

On 22/12/2022 at 22:46, robby b said:

Well that 4-0 to Aldershot wasn't very recent, it was Boxing Day in 2016. Scott Rendell scored a hattrick and he'd left Woking for Aldershot! 😑 

Oh yeah, that is a lot of high level non-league teams in Surrey/Hampshire, I hadn't really noticed there were that many. Plus there's Chertsey, in the 7th tier I think, hope they get promoted soon.

What is your prediction and thinking about tomorrow? I’m hoping the crowd will be good.

21 hours ago, Louis said:

What is your prediction and thinking about tomorrow? I’m hoping the crowd will be good.

I think you lot will maintain the hoodoo with a win yet again! 😅 I'd feel more confident if we hadn't lost our last two games, both 0-2 at home, including v York in the league. The other day I read that Aldershot are unbeaten v Woking in league matches in the last 9, nearly all of them wins, oh dear. I think 2nd Jan 2016 was the last time the Cards won it (a league meeting).

Â