Non-League Footy

hogso

Does anyone regularly go?

I live in the NW at the moment and cannot get to Villa Park on Saturdays as I work in the mornings etc.

I went to watch Chorley FC play Stocksbridge in the EVOSTIK North last Saturday. There was 870 people there and a fantastic atmosphere.

The thing that shocked me was the age range of people there. There was a real spread with Kids running round in Chorley replica shirts.

2 pints for £4 was good too and £8 ticket price.

It was a really good game and real full blooded football and offers something else to the sanitised football served up by Premier League teams.

Really good fun.

Anyone else go to Non-League regularly?

used to go up halesowen town when Stefan moore played a few times a season.

its much more fun imo. Maybe its because you dont really mind the result?

anywho, went to a new years day match a few years ago and the crowd started throwing mince pies at the opposition manager :lol:

I think he picked one up and ate it ala micky quinn.

Haha brilliant. At chorley the keeper was getting ribbed something rotten...the old wooooooaaaaaahhhh- YOU FAT BASTARD ahhhhhhh when he kicked the ball.

Stocksbridge had a really large (about 17 st) centre half. Really slow but no one got past him.

Seems the game still has a heartbeat in the non leagues.

At Chorley, Garry Flitcroft is the manager, Matt Jansen (ex Blackburn) plays there. They also have a lad called Simon Whaley who played for Preston in the Championship 2 seasons ago.

Love a bit of alternative footy.

Been along to a few grounds where you get a china mug and have to take it back so the ladies can do the washing up before the end of the game.....and somehow, you get all civilised and you do take it back.

• 4 months later...

Zeus help me, I've been down to the last 3 Basingstoke home games in a row and I think I've got the bug. Considering getting a season ticket for the next campaign. :shock: Shame we got butt-raped by Woking today.

Used to go to Nuneaton quite a bit, but then the **** sold their ground (which was right in the town centre) and moved out to an industrial estate which is virtually in Hinckley and inaccessible by foot or public transport. I'll be buggered if I am driving all the way out there just because a local builder wanted to make a few quid out of prime town centre real estate.

The road the new ground is on did make it into the National news for comedy reasons once though (Torygraph)

Went to see Stafford Rangers play a month or two back and it was without doubt the worst display of football I have ever seen. They made Wigan look like Barcalona.

Haha brilliant. At chorley the keeper was getting ribbed something rotten...the old wooooooaaaaaahhhh- YOU FAT BASTARD ahhhhhhh when he kicked the ball.

I went to a game between Shepshed Dynamo and Emley in one of the cups back in 1999, the youngsters were behind the goal doing this to the Emley 'keeper (Andy Rhodes, former pro, father of Jordan and now Sheff Wednesday goalkeeping coach). When the final whistle blew, he vaulted the railing around the pitch exclaiming "The game is over, the game is over" and proceeded to batter one of the young lads with a volley of wide swinging monkey punch hooks! Now, bearing in mind that Rhodes was a 20 stone + monster at this point in his career and the young lad must have been half his weight and about 18, he took a pasting.

Worse still, the officials had left the field and when trying to help Rhodes avoid a prison sentence by ushering him back onto the field, the Emley players (who had also left the pitch) poured out of the tunnel and stood (at a safe distance) mouthing off at myself and the few others behind the goal who were sorting it all out. Never heard anymore about it all.

The vast majority of football I watch these days is non league. Used to follow Bromsgrove Rovers but they went to the wall. Bromsgrove Sporting play at the Victoria Ground now in the Midland Comb.

Try a game. You never know you might like it. Don't expect the football to be as high a standard but in most games at least you will see honest guys playing the game because they enjoy it rather than to line their pockets and shag slappers

• 2 weeks later...

After last night's victory at Havant, Basingstoke just need to win their 3 remaining games to get into the play-offs. Eastbourne Borough this Saturday for the last home game of the season, then tough trips to relegation battlers Hampton & Richmond and Welling Utd who've already secured a play-off spot. Can't make the away games, but I'll be down Camrose this weekend hurling abuse and obscenities (it's great when they can actually hear you).

2 out of 3 won, just Welling to go. We'd have to lose and Chelmsford beat champions Woking to miss out on the play-offs, any other combination of results and we're there. :hooray:

Â