Poppies

wiggyrichard

Not sure if this belongs in here or 'Other Football'.

Anyway, im sure most of you know about the debate raging on at the moment with FIFA blocking Englands attempts to have poppies embroidered onto their England shirts for Saturday nights friendly with Spain.

Just wondered what everyones view on this was and wearing poppies in general. Do you wear a poppy around the time of Remembrance Day? Do you see it as a political statement as FIFA are claiming?

Personally, i think FIFA are bang out of line, and this is just another attempt to show their dislike towards England.

Really don't see a problem with it and will always wear one myself.

FIFAs arguement seems to be that it's a political thing and they don't allow that in football. I think it's a piss poor excuse and it's not going to hurt anyone. I wish the FA would show some balls and go ahead with it anyways. What're they going to do? Kick us out of World Cup qualifying? Don't give a shit and I'm seemingly one of the few on here that actually supports England nowdays.

I wear a poppy during the whole month of November, but think its correct in what FIFA are doing.

The way i understand it is that no other country is allow to display any other memorial symbols on their kits so why should England.

There is a vast oppotunity to spread the message before and after the game, and if my memory serves me correct we havn't worn a poppy on our kit in the past 20 years so why start now?

Very easy to get angry over this one. On the face of it, it appears to be exactly what you say; FIFA demonstrating their dislike of England.

I dont think wearing a poppy makes a political statement at all, it is simply an alternative black arm band that we use to remember our dead.

If I was in charge at the FA, I'd just make the players wear them regardless and pay the likely fine, the FA would get good press from it, whilst FIFA would be further shown up as a group of idiots.

The whole poppy thing has tipped over the line into unpleasant pressure to wear one in my opinion. I put some money in the collection boxes, but won't wear a poppy any more.

I've not been keeping up with this, but am I right in my assumption that FIFA's reasoning is that one day we may have to play Germany in November?

If so, somebody should point out that the poppy appeal covers all conflicts, most of whose beneficiaries will be from recent ones where British and German troops have been on the same side.

Also, German dead in the two world wars are arguably equally victims of war - it's not "anti-German".

I'd be very surprised if any current Germans (or the German FA) would have any objection.

I wear a poppy during the whole month of November, but think its correct in what FIFA are doing.

The way i understand it is that no other country is allow to display any other memorial symbols on their kits so why should England.

There is a vast oppotunity to spread the message before and after the game, and if my memory serves me correct we havn't worn a poppy on our kit in the past 20 years so why start now?

But we would not be doing for the benefit of the country would we? Its a personal choice if you want to remeber the hero's past and present.

I think its disgusting and as Kurt said, i wish/hope the FA would show some balls and stand up for what 99% of the country believe is the right thing to do.

Its not about spreading a messege, its remembrance of the fallen.

I've not been keeping up with this, but am I right in my assumption that FIFA's reasoning is that one day we may have to play Germany in November?

If so, somebody should point out that the poppy appeal covers all conflicts, most of whose beneficiaries will be from recent ones where British and German troops have been on the same side.

Also, German dead in the two world wars are arguably equally victims of war - it's not "anti-German".

I'd be very surprised if any current Germans (or the German FA) would have any objection.

The German FA have already said the are backing us and it would never cause an issue, is my understanding.

FIFA are saying they dont allow political messages to be portrayed during a match. Utter horseshit!

But we would not be doing for the benefit of the country would we? Its a personal choice if you want to remeber the hero's past and present.

I think its disgusting and as Kurt said, i wish/hope the FA would show some balls and stand up for what 99% of the country believe is the right thing to do.

There is a 2minute silence at the beginning of the game to remember the fallen soldiers. Poppies will be stitched on the training shirts too.

Again, we havn't done this in the past have we? so why the uproar now?

It's all very petty.

I can see why FIFA are doing it. It'll open the door to anyone putting anythign on their shirts in future.

Common sense says they should let us do it, but I think they're well within their rights to not let us.

And why is it sudenly such a big deal? We haven't worn a poppy on our football shirts for the past god knows how many years. Why does it suddenly matter?

Stick on on the players' tracksuits that they walk out onto the pitch in and leave the shirts without one.

PS. I always wear a poppy, but am particularly unfond of people who wear the premium poppys.

Same here, they're nothing other than fashion statements.

What are the premium poppies? I just wear the same type one ive worn for years.

poppy_1512923c.jpg

There is a 2minute silence at the beginning of the game to remember the fallen soldiers. Poppies will be stitched on the training shirts too.

Again, we havn't done this in the past have we? so why the uproar now?

Just because we havnt done it in the past doesnt mean we cant start now. Maybe we should have done it in the past?

PS. I always wear a poppy, but am particularly unfond of people who wear the premium poppys.

What are the premium poppies?

Xdpqr.jpg

You'd have to ask what the difference is between having a 2 minute silence at the beginning of the game and wearing a poppy? Surely both serve the same purpose and hence are as politically orientated as each other.

I've not checked, but is this not the 100 year anniversary of the Battle of the Somme? Hence this year takes on extra significance, the driving factor behind having the poppys on the shirts.

What are the premium poppies? I just wear the same type one ive worn for years.

poppy_1512923c.jpg

You must have seen TV presenters with big sparkly crystal encrusted ones. Truly disgusting.

Â