Poppies

wiggyrichard

Knowing FIFA, they'd probably ban us from participating in next years Euros.

what could they do if

we had a fly by of spitfires and lancasters, military band at half time and handed a poppy to everyone at the stadium to which the fans would probably all throw onto the pitch.

fack all.

ENGLAND’S football players will protest against a poppy ban by taking to the field dressed as Nazi soldiers, it has been announced.

As FIFA upheld the ban on the remembrance poppy because Sepp Blatter couldn’t work out how they would make him any money, the decision was made to show the world what an international friendly might have looked like without England’s wartime intervention.

Besides England wearing 30s German military regalia, each player will come on holding the hand of an eerily-perfect blonde child, to really labour the point.

Manager Fabio Capello said: "It’s an issue the whole squad feels very strongly about, especially John Terry who brought several costumes from home and has been advising all the lads about the correct way to button up a Wermacht Feldbluse.

"In fact, we’ve really struggled to get him to wear the normal training kit at all and he’s even started insisting the team refer to him as ‘Herr Hauptmann’ instead of captain."

England players had requested that the poppies be added to their kit as part of their official annual 'Not Acting Like Spoilt Pricks' event, but FIFA’s refusal means they will have to think of some other way of behaving with an ounce of humility.

FIFA spokesman Tom Logan insisted: "If England want to mark all the finework the good people at Umbro or Nike do for football they can proudlydisplay those companies' large shiny emblems, but we have to draw theline at a small stitched flower."

Capello has fully supported England’s protest, adding: “If, or rather when Spain thrash us 7-0 this will merely be a satirical comment on what it would have been like if England had had the wartime fighting spirit of, if I’m being honest here, Italy.”

clicky

When people like David Cameron wear a poppy it's a joke. I'd never wear a poppy. I personally have a preference to other charities.

I tend to agree with FIFA on this one.

Why is it a joke? Why wouldnt you wear a poppy? I think your missing the whole point of wearing a poppy. :?

Its not about giving money or whatever, its about remembering those who have fallen and showing that you appreciate what they did for us.

A refusal to wear a poppy is not necessarily equivalent to not remembering those who were killed in WWI or WWII.

But I feel it's almost come to legitimise war. Especially when warmongering politicians wear it for political reasons.

Wasn't Cameron a member of the party which supported Blair in his wars?

I was harassed and bullied in a pub when I first moved over here by some guy selling poppies. Had no idea at the time what they were or why he was insistant that I give him money but the whole episode left a pretty bad taste in the mouth. I have not considered giving money to that charity since.

I like poppies, I like what they stand for and the sad loss that they remember, I like that the charity ask for donations - not a set amount, I like the sense of national pride associated with them.

Although in this situation with the football shirts, I tend to think it's the right decision.

And I wouldn't have any problem with any other Country putting something equivalent on their shirts at all - but where would it stop? Who would draw the line? Who has a right to say what is worthy and what isn't? It would be a political nightmare that would take up too much time I'm afraid.

FIFA have to have a stance, which seems easier to say no to all requests to stop it from getting out of hand and absorbing too much time.

Now, should the players wish to wear a Poppy about their person on the way to and from the ground, then great. They have that right and I hope they exercise it - that is the best way they can show their support.

A refusal to wear a poppy is not necessarily equivalent to not remembering those who were killed in WWI or WWII.

But I feel it's almost come to legitimise war. Especially when warmongering politicians wear it for political reasons.

was that not based on evidence presented to the house which turned out to be untrue?

was that not based on evidence presented to the house which turned out to be untrue?

Yes, but did you believe it? I didn't. At best that makes Cameron incompetent to be in the job of opposition, never mind PM. At worst he went along with the lie willingly.

David Davis was on R2 saying how loads of other stuff is going on instead (I think they are doing even more as a result), so it won't make a difference. in fact it may even improve the rememberance side of the day as a result.

so maybe FIFA being faggoty isn't that bad?

Baz, perhaps you're right, the tories may have gone along with labour regardless of the evidence.

however that aspect of what the poppy stands for in terms of loss and the world we have today is a very small aspect.

if we base symbols on modern times then

the cross represents paedophilia and dodgy vicars

the poppy represents loss of life in illegal wars

the koran is a book for terrorist ideals

mobile phones really began with the iphone

avfc have never achieved anything

Still not sure what any of that has got to do with the England team wearing a poppy?
Because I think it's a symbol which has come to have political overtones, which is a shame, but I agree with FIFA.

Why is the poppy a political sysmbol? This is what i dont understand!?

It a symbol of remembrance.

Still not sure what any of that has got to do with the England team wearing a poppy?
Because I think it's a symbol which has come to have political overtones, which is a shame, but I agree with FIFA.

Why is the poppy a political sysmbol? This is what i dont understand!?

It a symbol of remembrance.

People like Cameron wearing poppies saying how brave our soldiers are, doing a fine job, it almost legitimises the terrible wars he's supported, that's political. FIFA rules stand.

Â