Poppies

wiggyrichard

Just because we havnt done it in the past doesnt mean we cant start now. Maybe we should have done it in the past?

In a way yes, if it wasnt important in the past i dont see why there is a ho-ha about it now.

I dont think wear a poppy on a England shirt will make all the more difference to the rememberance of our fallen soliders.

There will be ample oppotunity before KO for the FA to do a memorial for the soliders.

They could

- Print poppy t-shirts and give them to every member of the crowd (as they did for the final game before WC2010)

- Give everyone a poppy to wear or the oppotunity to purchase one before KO which im sure they will.

- Make cards to when the fans hold them up it shows a poppy

- Display poppies on the advertisement boards for the full 90mins

The list is endless.

FIFA are right in making their judgement (for once).

You'd have to ask what the difference is between having a 2 minute silence at the beginning of the game and wearing a poppy? Surely both serve the same purpose and hence are as politically orientated as each other.

Brilliant point.

Just because we havnt done it in the past doesnt mean we cant start now. Maybe we should have done it in the past?

In a way yes, if it wasnt important in the past i dont see why there is a ho-ha about it now.

I dont think wear a poppy on a England shirt will make all the more difference to the rememberance of our fallen soliders.

There will be ample oppotunity before KO for the FA to do a memorial for the soliders.

They could

- Print poppy t-shirts and give them to every member of the crowd (as they did for the final game before WC2010)

- Give everyone a poppy to wear or the oppotunity to purchase one before KO which im sure they will.

- Make cards to when the fans hold them up it shows a poppy

- Display poppies on the advertisement boards for the full 90mins

The list is endless.

FIFA are right in making their judgement (for once).

So you can do all of that, yet FIFA say the players cant wear a little one on their shirts?

Can you not see how silly this sounds? I think the anger comes from the fact, it is nothing to do with football, it is not aimed at anyone, it is not political as FIFA claim and it is not designed to infuriate anyone.

the difference between the minutes silence and the poppy on the shirt is the actual rule, you arent allowed anything on your shirt

thats what really pisses me off about this, im assuming the FA want to have a 2 minute silence, have some military present in free seats, have a poppy on the shirt and then auction the shirts

they can do all of that apart from the shirt bit, so why dont they instead stick poppies all around wembley? seeing as probably 90% of the match the camera is at too wide an angle to see poppies on the shirt why dont they give them free advertising? say for example get rid of those vans behind the goal and stick 2 poppies there?

the answer is obvious, because that would lose the FA revenue, which there is absolutely no **** danger of that happening

if the FA were serious about this they could do so much more (vauxhall have a publicity stunt in waiting when they give up their space for free too) but they dont want to, they once again want our red tops to go on a witch hunt

i completely agree with FIFA, the FA are wrong on this one

the difference between the minutes silence and the poppy on the shirt is the actual rule, you arent allowed anything on your shirt

Exactly, a pathetic rule, the relevance of which is completely undermined by the permittance of other similar activity in and around the stadium.

thats what really pisses me off about this, im assuming the FA want to have a 2 minute silence, have some military present in free seats, have a poppy on the shirt and then auction the shirts

they can do all of that apart from the shirt bit, so why dont they instead stick poppies all around wembley? seeing as probably 90% of the match the camera is at too wide an angle to see poppies on the shirt why dont they give them free advertising? say for example get rid of those vans behind the goal and stick 2 poppies there?

the answer is obvious, because that would lose the FA revenue, which there is absolutely no **** danger of that happening

if the FA were serious about this they could do so much more (vauxhall have a publicity stunt in waiting when they give up their space for free too) but they dont want to, they once again want our red tops to go on a witch hunt

i completely agree with FIFA, the FA are wrong on this one

Exactly, its one of those situation where the turds at the FA can been "seen to be doing something for the good"

Exactly, a pathetic rule, the relevance of which is completely undermined by the permittance of other similar activity in and around the stadium.

no its not

to most a poppy isnt a political statement, but its a precedent non the less, someone who then wants a political statement will use this as their arguement, leads down a slippery slope

as i said before, the poppy on the shirt will get so little coverage compared to poppies around the ground (and this fuss) it makes it pretty pointless that the FA (and now big dave) are stirring it up

there are more and better ways to raise awareness and money than a poppy on a shirt

I see where you're coming from, even if I dont necesserily agree.

However, I do think the FA have done a reasonable amount to compensate for the lack of Poppys on the shirt:

FA statement: Remembrance Day

Wednesday, 09 November, 2011

The FA and England players will show their respect in a number of ways.

The FA would like to clarify that the organisation and England players at all levels will be showing their respect and marking Remembrance Day in a number of ways.

We have been working closely with the Royal British Legion who have welcomed our support. We can confirm that:

•The England players will wear black armbands during the Spain game on Saturday

•The FA will place a poppy wreath on the pitch during the national anthems

•There will be a one-minute silence ahead of kick-off

•Players will wear training tops with embroidered poppies on match day

•Players will wear poppy-embossed anthem jackets during the national anthems

•Military representatives will be in the presentation party prior to kick-off

•The FA has donated 500 England v Spain tickets to 'Tickets for Troops', for members of the armed forces, and 1,000 tickets for the England v Sweden game on Tuesday (this is standard FA policy for Wembley matches)

•The England senior squad will train at Wembley on Friday ahead of the Spain game. They will observe the two-minute silence at 11am, all wearing training tops embossed with poppies. This session will be broadcast live

•The training tops embossed with poppies will be passed onto forces' charities post-match as auction items for fund raising

•The poppy will be visible around Wembley on Saturday, on the scoreboards and advertising boards, and poppy sellers will be in the stadium to allow supporters to donate to the poppy fund and show their support

•On Thursday, England Under-21s play Iceland in Colchester and England U19s play Denmark in Brighton. All players and staff will be wearing poppies pre- and post-match

•Both the Under-21s and U19s will observe a one-minute silence, too, at their games - the Under-21s will do so alongside troops from Colchester barracks.

Yes, you can always do more, but I think this represents a good effort from the FA.

so why then complain about the poppy on the shirt! agree with wiggy, whats the difference between wearing a black armband and wearing a poppy? (other than the auction, which IMO a similar revenue could still be achieved through other auctionable gear)

why are the FA so keen on widening the already huge gulf between FIFA and themselves? no doubt when the next world cup vote comes around us english will cry foul because we cant understand why FIFA doesnt like us

big Dave getting involved is ridiculous IMO

Our FA were happy enough for us to Nazi salute Hitler back in 38 so they should be happy enough to go tell FIFA to Jog on and put the poppy on the shirt

Think this would represent a much needed PR boost for the FA, who aren't seen much more favourably than FIFA by the British public. That said, it would probably act to increase the animosity between FIFA and the FA which probably wouldnt carry any long term benefit, despite the short term sence of victory.

Our FA were happy enough for us to Nazi salute Hitler back in 38 so they should be happy enough to go tell FIFA to Jog on and put the poppy on the shirt

Think this would represent a much needed PR boost for the FA, who aren't seen much more favourably than FIFA by the British public. That said, it would probably act to increase the animosity between FIFA and the FA which probably wouldnt carry any long term benefit, despite the short term sence of victory.

like tha anamosity between FIFA and the FA could get any worse.

just look at the 2018 farce.

we don't have the money to obtain a world cup bid anymore and we aren't corrupt enough.

I think the players should come out with temporary tatoos of poppies on their hands and knees, or even forehead.

they couldn't do shit about that.

True, but as V4E says, when it comes to bidding for the 2100 World Cup and yet again we get no votes, we'll be left wondering why no one at Fifa likes us.

I'd rather nobody likes us and we never win a bid to host a major championships again but yet we stand up for what we believe is right and proper and stand our ground for something that means alot to 99% of the country, show some heart and spine rather than become some half ass nation like France who is more bent than a £9 note and a 'yes man' nation!

*These are the views of wiggyrichard and do in no way shape or form determine the views of VillaTalk. :)

True, but as V4E says, when it comes to bidding for the 2100 World Cup and yet again we get no votes, we'll be left wondering why no one at Fifa likes us.

who gives a crap? FIFA don't.

we offered them the most profitable world cup in history yet they go with QATAR and RUSSIA because they lined the pockets of the voters.

financially and in terms of effort to host the world cup England was by far the best.

FIFA talk about this crap called "legacy", by bringing football to new markets.

just look at how long it took to put those seeds in the USA.

and bloody Beckham achieved more for Soccer than FIFA have.

Since he has gone to the USA look at the number of ageing but very good players who have gone. Beckham going to the MLS and raising the profile had a hand in that I am sure.

okay Best etc have done it in the past but Beckham in terms of profile is on a different level to players of old.

FIFA are about nothing more than their own interests and self importance.

they are bitter because the FA are called THE football Association.

I mean the PL brings in way more money than any world cup.

You do make a good point, and I agree that we should just wear the Poppies (even thought that clearly isnt going to happen).

That said, I tried to think of it from an outside perspective, from the view of a person who doesnt understand the significance of the Poppy appeal, and on the face of it, it might just seem a bit arrogant to the outside world.

I would still wear them though, ive long since given up caring what the rest of FIFA think about England.

well didn't the FA enforce the players to salute hitler in the 30s?

if the don't allow the poppy, then go the other way and have the tropping of the colour at wembley before the start of the game.

will be more enjoyable than the match.

Â