Poppies

wiggyrichard

I have no problem with England putting a poppy on their jersey but in my lifetime dont recall England ever having a poppy.

Though if FIFA allow this then other nations or even players might want to put symbols or messages on jerseys. COuld open up a can of worms

I don't care.

I usually buy a poppy but increasingly, a bit like Risso mentioned earlier, theres a feeling that you must wear one.

I'm not sure about how to articulate this, but I seem to find that today theres this kind of institutionalised... mourning and respect (?)that I find quite false. I first noticed it with Wooton Bassett. Families aside, I never felt that the showings there were truly sincere, more that many people felt they just should go, that it was the done thing. It appears all over the place, theres this curious sense that everything is a tragedy that everyone should feel obliged to respect. I'm sure this never used to happen.

I don't think the England football team need to wear a poppy, I don't think any football team does. Not because it can be construed as a political symbol, but because it seems rather meaningless. It's not like Lloyds TSB shove a huge poppy on their HQ because it's felt to be the done thing. I'd feel better if the England team members had, without celebration or spotlight, gone down to some old fella sat outside Asda with his tin, and having actually thought about what the thing represents, decided they should support it.

I think being the creators of the game itself, England should tell FIFA to f*ck right off over this issue.

And enjoy our probable expulsion from the next World Cup.

Good thinking right there.

I didn't know you had already qualified...

...or that a team could be kicked out of a WC Finals for disobeying a FIFA mandate 2 years prior to not yet having qualified for the World Cup....

:shock:

I've not checked, but is this not the 100 year anniversary of the Battle of the Somme? Hence this year takes on extra significance, the driving factor behind having the poppys on the shirts.

No, it was during WWI, in 1916.

Â