Poppies

wiggyrichard

People like Cameron wearing poppies saying how brave our soldiers are, doing a fine job, it almost legitimises the terrible wars he's supported, that's political. FIFA rules stand.

:shock:

i thought all the barking posts were confined to the God thread , clearly i was wrong

Even when Hitler invaded Poland I knew it was all the fault of those damn Tory's

People like Cameron wearing poppies saying how brave our soldiers are, doing a fine job, it almost legitimises the terrible wars he's supported, that's political. FIFA rules stand.

:shock:

i thought all the barking posts were confined to the God thread , clearly i was wrong

Even when Hitler invaded Poland I knew it was all the fault of those damn Tory's

did you not know that Thatcher invented hitler?

Here's a question:

What if the Palestinian football team wore emblems on their shirts remembering the "martyred" suicide bombers of Gaza? Would people object to that?

But that is different.

The reason being the Poppy is internationally renowned to represent the military from all conflicts.

If the Palestinian football team wore an emblem that allowed their country to remember the military personal lost in ALL conflicts (ie keeping it general....I would have no problem.

Speaking of Thatcher, I have noticed in recent years a trend for having a minutes sustained applause instead of silence for recently deceased people. I do hope this will be the approach taken when the old witch goes.

I do hope this will be the approach taken when the old witch goes.

going way OT here but it's going to be rather highly charged when she goes i think ... there was talk of a state funeral for her , which i doubt will go down well with anyone north of Watford ...

certainly I shall ask VT to ban me for a few days when she dies as I already know how a lot of posters are going to react and I've no wish to fall out with them over it

The debt most of Europe if not the world that is owed to the fallen mainly during the two world wars should never be forgotten ....there are people in Ireland wearing the poppy now on the street (where as before it would have been seen as a sectarian symbol) glasnevin cemetery have placed new headstones on the fallen Irish soldiers who served during ww1&2 and will be marking the day with a large ceremony

Here's a question:

What if the Palestinian football team wore emblems on their shirts remembering the "martyred" suicide bombers of Gaza? Would people object to that?

But that is different.

The reason being the Poppy is internationally renowned to represent the military from all conflicts.

If the Palestinian football team wore an emblem that allowed their country to remember the military personal lost in ALL conflicts (ie keeping it general....I would have no problem.

I'd disagree on your first point. The poppy is the symbol of the Royal British Legion. Buying a poppy results in a donation to that charity.

While it may symbolise something wider, it is directly associated with a charity dedicated to British servicemen and women.

I initially thought Gazton was being really rather stupid, but infact he's been the opposite. It's really not too dissimilar to our own poppy dilemma, the only difference being through our beliefs about what is right and what is wrong.

Here's a question:

But that is different.

I'd disagree on your first point. The poppy is the symbol of the Royal British Legion. Buying a poppy results in a donation to that charity.

While it may symbolise something wider, it is directly associated with a charity dedicated to British servicemen and women.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15637074

Royal British Legion, yes. But the poppy is an internationally renowned symbol

Here's a question:

But that is different.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15637074

Royal British Legion, yes. But the poppy is an internationally renowned symbol

Regardless, the England team would be wearing poppies which would be bought by the FA from the Royal British Legion and the money would go to British servicemen and women.

So, how would people feel if a similar action was undertaken by the Palestinian FA?

Who are FIFA to decide which charitable and political causes are more worthy than another?

Â